My own Adam Jones tribute '79-ish' Silverburst

ARandall

Reaction score
This build has been going on for some time, so its not a build thread as much as it is a pictorial of where I am currently in the build.

When I started this build it wasn't that long after Fear Inoculum had been released. Due to the slightly slow delivery of copies to Australia I still didn't have the album in December.

So I embarked on a late 70's build.......the first thing to note is that its still a trans tenon (early 70's like) neck attachment - My templates are all for long tenon cutting and I wasn't building as much of a clone to go short tenon. Second anomaly is that the block inlays are very much more the vintage style with the last 3 about the same size
However other aspects I did want to get right.......the iconic late 70's shaped cutaway being one with the thick binding. It also has a shorter body than the vintage type guitar....and of course I wanted the 3-piece maple neck with the ski-jump esque volute.

The body is actually all western red cedar. My brother is a builder, and from one of his jobs as we had some salvage boards from a very old house that had been knocked down for renovations.

Many thanks to a few of the guys in the Norlin section for tracing their late 70's Les Paul body outlines so I could get the iconic shape right.
DSC_0260.JPG
DSC_0261.JPG
DSC_0262.JPG
DSC_0263.JPG
DSC_0264.JPG

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Western Red Cedar, what an awesome choice (gotta be lighter than Mahogany)...... it looks beautiful and so does the maple neck. Once it's covered in a Silverburst it will be more so. :applause:

DaveR

Reaction score
I'm a huge Tool fan, and have always wanted a classic Norlin silverburst. Do you have plans for getting the green patina or are you going for the new silver look? On the one LP build I did, most of it was modeled after the Bartlett plans. However, I've always found the classic headstock to look a little thin and so I took a tracing of my friends 1980 silverburst boat paddle to use as a template.

I almost bought an early 80s silverburst about 11 years ago. It was on consignment in a local shop right next to a 1990 goldtop. The goldtop was half the price and the silverburst was in dire need of a full refret, so I bought the goldtop instead. The silverburst had that tone and look and in hindsight I should have grabbed it, but I had just bought my first house and was mostly broke. A week later Joe Bonamassa stopped in that shop and snagged the silverburst. That was the last time I saw one for sale that was anywhere close to my price range.

Last edited:

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
I’ll be watching this thread!
best of luck and enjoy the ride!

ARandall

Reaction score
Western Red Cedar, what an awesome choice (gotta be lighter than Mahogany)
Its a 2 layer construction....but with a join in about the middle of the body rather than close to the top. Somewhat fittingly the lower section was from a light and porous plank, and the upper from a denser harder one.
Only downside is that it dents with not much more than looking at it. So for the metallic finish there will be a LOT of pre metallic coat prep going on!!

I'm a huge Tool fan, and have always wanted a classic Norlin silverburst. Do you have plans for getting the green patina or are you going for the new silver look?
It will be an aged/yellowed one for sure - to the best of my ability of course.
I have found that adding some yellow dye to the amber clearcoats gives you the more luminous yellowing that you see with some of the older silverbursts. I'm hoping its the reflections of the silver flake that makes the yellow head toward that green-ish tint.
I’ll be watching this thread!
best of luck and enjoy the ride!
With a screen name like yours, this does not surprise me :thumb:

ARandall

Reaction score
An update:

Got to work on the neck shaping. This is where all thoughts of a pre-planned shape go out the window. I generally start with the 'facets' method of removing wood, but after that its just how the mood takes me. In this case it ended up like a slightly flat backed late 50's profile.....0.91 to 0.96, with a sort of 'D' back shape. For me this is on the thinner side, but is a LOT thicker than my 1980 Deluxe, which is about 0.82 at the first and a regular C.

The volute is another aspect fractionally different to the typical late 70's Gibson one. I have positioned the thickest part just a bit further away from the fretboard. So the ridge curve is much more like a smile from the lower flare. The heel is also much more 50's than late 70's. This is another aspect that is simply more comfortable for me to play.

In progress
20200812_113456.jpg

Finished......save for smoothing the edges into the fretboard profile (this will be done once glued up)
20200812_125602.jpg

ARandall

Reaction score
Ok, that last update was stuff I'd done about 10 days back.

I now have the neck in, the fretboard on and the profile smoothed into the binding.

I've had to do a lot of work filling and levelling the body. You'll see all sorts of marks from nail holes being filled to wood filler levelling bit of the grain that pulled off with some of the binding tape......to the shellac I've used to fill the grain areas that sand in ridges due to the nature of the wood.
After all that, its somewhat lucky that the finish will be opaque.....

DSC_0271.JPG
DSC_0272.JPG
DSC_0273.JPG
DSC_0274.JPG
DSC_0267.JPG
DSC_0275.JPG

Latest Threads