My new to me Epiphone showed this week and I could use your opinions.

cdf294

Reaction score
I purchased and received an Epiphone LQ from one of our forum members this week and I have decided to swap pickups since I'm not totally feeling what's installed presently. The previous owner removed the originals (which were sent with the guitar) and installed pickups from one of his Tokai guitars.

I was thinking about reinstalling the originals but I have a nice pair of custom hand wound cream pickups that I ended up with from the luthier who built several of my guitars. Unfortunately, the cream pickups are currently installed in my walnut "The Paul" so I can't just set them on the guitar to decide about the look. I was leaning towards reinstalling some vintage Duncans back into "The Paul" anyway and think they would probably sound great in the Epi. What do you guys/girls think would look better, the original covered Epis or dual cream pickups?
I am adding a couple of pictures but the weird lighting makes the pick guard and rings appear more white than cream.

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Sorry, can't help you since I can't HEAR the pickups. But we all know cream colored pickups have a creamier tone as opposed to the metallic sound of covered ones.

Ok seriously, just install the pickups in it, and see how they sound. Looks don't make the guitar sound better.

cdf294

Reaction score
Yeah, good point. I guess I am overthinking this a bit since I haven't purchased any new gear in the last 4 years.

By looking at the walnut Paul, it's reasonably obvious that my primary concern is how it sounded and not how it looked. The cream pickups should sound very good in the Epiphone but it would certainly be a bonus if it looked good too.

JohnnyN

Reaction score
Congratulations, that's a beautiful guitar :)
I don't think it's a big deal to put on a pair of covers if you like the pickups. All you need is a soldering iron.

Last edited:

stringbender11

Reaction score
I like the look of the covers on better than without, but like the others posting I'd make the choice by tone quality. How do you like your 'The Paul' btw? I've always wondered what those were like. Pretty unique guitar these days, I think. :)

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Don’t let anyone tell you looks aren’t important. It may not be to them but obviously it is to you. If looks weren’t important we’d all be playing Strats, anyway.:rofl:

I think the double cream would look great.

Last edited:

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is hard to get anything cream these days without buying D's pups. I settled for a pair of their 59 PAF"s and though not totally unhappy with the sound or look I felt pretty bottled in. I put them in my pricier Tokai and I think they look marvelous! However, I wish I had a choice. The guy I like to use stopped making cream because D and the copywrite they have on a color.......

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
Appearance-wise, I've always been more of a fan of covered pickups in a sunburst LP with the pickguard on. Just completes the classic look.

cdf294

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone. Had some family issues that have kept me busy since posting this and am just now getting the opportunity to swap pickups this weekend.
I picked a a cheap LPC yesterday , although I don't really know why other than it was a really good deal, so I now need to swipe the custom pickups out of 2 guitars now.

Will post pics after getting them done.

How do you like your 'The Paul' btw? I've always wondered what those were like. Pretty unique guitar these days, I think. :)
I've owned many Gibson guitars over the years and oddly, the Paul is the only one I kept. Looks wise, it's pretty ugly and plain but there must be some reason I kept it over other Gibbys that cost 5x as much. The walnut just has a sound I like and it's a sustain monster. I like the walnut to the point where I also have a Destroyer-like one-off that's walnut as well.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I purchased and received an Epiphone LQ from one of our forum members this week and I have decided to swap pickups since I'm not totally feeling what's installed presently. The previous owner removed the originals (which were sent with the guitar) and installed pickups from one of his Tokai guitars.

I was thinking about reinstalling the originals but I have a nice pair of custom hand wound cream pickups that I ended up with from the luthier who built several of my guitars. Unfortunately, the cream pickups are currently installed in my walnut "The Paul" so I can't just set them on the guitar to decide about the look. I was leaning towards reinstalling some vintage Duncans back into "The Paul" anyway and think they would probably sound great in the Epi. What do you guys/girls think would look better, the original covered Epis or dual cream pickups?
I am adding a couple of pictures but the weird lighting makes the pick guard and rings appear more white than cream.

View attachment 374050

View attachment 374052
ITS NICE.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
I strongly doubt the original Epi pickups will be particularly inspiring, tone wise. If you have a set of SDs “spare” you could just try putting those in the LP and see how it sounds.

However, if you’re set on wanting those in The Paul I think the cream ones would look pretty sweet in the Lester.