My new Gretsch...

old mark

Reaction score
Had one of these for 2 weeks. I went to a regional Guitar Center to sell a batch of guitars - 9 of them - and saw one of these beauties on the rack, on special under $600...Played it while the sales people totaled up the guitars I sold them. Walked out with this beautiful hollowbody Gretsch, in a new case, and a wad of cash...a good day!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch...?source=4GOA5EIBA&CAWELAID=420003230005826935

It sounds even better than it looks...and I am about to sell another batch of guitars because this one replaces at leas 3 of them...

endial

Reaction score
Ooh! Nice.
So when do we get a real pic? I'm liking the "new" Gretsch's. Played a couple of the thinlines and liked how they played and sounded. They've been upping their game if you ask me.

S. Rock

Reaction score
congrats ! very nice looking guitar. you can't go wrong with a hollowbody. I've had my old hollowbody since '66.

Attachments

• 1959 6124 Annie.jpg
    1959 6124 Annie.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 27

old mark

Reaction score
Can't do "real pics" - very old laptop that has a pilot light...(not really...) problems with pics.
I owned an early '60's Chet Atkins Tennessean and IMO the new Gretsches are better made than the old US made collectables. Play so SMOOTH and sound great clean or filthy. Can't beat them, IMO.

5-0 phonebooth

Reaction score
grats, awesome, woohoo, all that good stuff! I was hoping it would be a G5120T, or the Gibson-ish BroadTron'd G2420. tho my hands-on with either has been minimal I feel these are 2 of the best new guitars available today, and I hope these BlackTop PUs have the classic depth, breadth, and distinguished vintage Gretsch tron WHUMPH I love so much. if they do I may forego the G2420, but maybe not, for just $350 there's a ton of great guitar to be had. all the new Streamliner models seem fantastic, the solids having more focused sounds, but these big boxes have most of that plus the biggest and richest tones of all. I also want one of the little Duo Jets with the BlackTops, they impress as well. Gretsch really have upped their game for the working shlub with this new series. hope to hear a few follow-ups as you break'r in!

old mark

Reaction score
The blacktop pickups are some of the best I have played, and still Gretschy...G5420 electromatics...very hard to beat!

Anyway, I like my first new Gretsh so much, I got another one...same model, slightly used, different finish...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch...?source=4GOA5EIBA&CAWELAID=420003230005826936

AND I have a pretty rare Gretsch G400 C Japanese - made - archtop jazz guitar coming next week, too...I think I migh be done for a while after this one...Mine's a 2003...they are discontinued...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gretsch-guitars-g400c-synchromatic-cutaway-acoustic-guitar

Last edited:

5-0 phonebooth

Reaction score
another ringing endorsement! many overly-quivered players are snapping these up, and I've been saying they're classics no matter how they stack up against anything else. they have their own (true) Gretsch thing going on, the PUs vs body construction seem a great match, the necks are fabulous, and the factory's consistency of top quality runs is commendable. I've not heard of a dog yet!
the BT's are very up front with their Gretschiness and I'm hoping the vintage ballsiness and super sweet chime carries over as well. plus, the BroadTron PUs may be future classics. really nice move on the G400 to boot!

endial

Reaction score
The blacktop pickups are some of the best I have played, and still Gretschy...G5420 electromatics...very hard to beat!

Anyway, I like my first new Gretsh so much, I got another one...same model, slightly used, different finish...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch...?source=4GOA5EIBA&CAWELAID=420003230005826936

AND I have a pretty rare Gretsch G400 C Japanese - made - archtop jazz guitar coming next week, too...I think I migh be done for a while after this one...Mine's a 2003...they are discontinued...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gretsch-guitars-g400c-synchromatic-cutaway-acoustic-guitar

You, sir, are a bona-fide WILD MAN.

Timko

Reaction score
Nice purchase. I own a 5120 from 2008 that's got some Filtertrons from a 2003 Duo Jet in it (my first electric after nearly a decade playing acoustics), and it's an absolute slayer. I am happy that Gretsch decided to revert back to the thumbnail inlays after a couple of years with their own block inlays. One of these days I'd like to pick up a double cut hollow body in that classic Gretsch orange.

Not everyone like the size or nuances of a big body hollow body, but that great Gretsch sound from it is unmistakable and nearly impossible to mimic.

old mark

Reaction score
As I said earlier, I had a "real" Gretsch guitar in the mid 1970's, an early '60's Tennessean, and the new and current versions are FAR better built, and they kept all the good points - the amazing Gretsch neck and fingerboard, and the sound...and the style! I really urge anyone to play one if you can, but be aware that you WILL want to buy one if you play one...they really are that good.

5-0 phonebooth

Reaction score
that Dcut is an amazing guitar, and can be found in the $500 range, throw on some flats and these things are tone monsters.

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
I have a 5422 double cut in trans red, it is simply an amazing guitar. The blacktops are very nice for a stock pup, eventually I'll put some TV Jones pups in it but that will be more to test if they are as good or better the the blacktops. First thing you might want to do is put some locking tuners on it. Not that the stock tuners wont hold tune but string changes are alot easier with some lockers. I also pinned the bridge on mine because i like to rest my hand on the bridge palm mute style and found that i was moving it up and down and changing the intonation. I got some stainless steel machine screws that fit the bridge wheels and drilled and threaded them through the rosewood bridge and right into the braces that run under the bridge. I kept the rosewood on mainly for looks as well as some stability but it really is not supporting the bridge anymore, its more like a 335 now. Now i can jam out in it as hard as i want and never have any tuning instability. This guitar is the reason i learned to play, bought it when i knew nothing kinda as a "well now i gotta learn" cause i just spent a $1000cdn on it.

old mark

Reaction score
I have a 5422 double cut in trans red, it is simply an amazing guitar. The blacktops are very nice for a stock pup, eventually I'll put some TV Jones pups in it but that will be more to test if they are as good or better the the blacktops. First thing you might want to do is put some locking tuners on it. Not that the stock tuners wont hold tune but string changes are alot easier with some lockers. I also pinned the bridge on mine because i like to rest my hand on the bridge palm mute style and found that i was moving it up and down and changing the intonation. I got some stainless steel machine screws that fit the bridge wheels and drilled and threaded them through the rosewood bridge and right into the braces that run under the bridge. I kept the rosewood on mainly for looks as well as some stability but it really is not supporting the bridge anymore, its more like a 335 now. Now i can jam out in it as hard as i want and never have any tuning instability. This guitar is the reason i learned to play, bought it when i knew nothing kinda as a "well now i gotta learn" cause i just spent a $1000cdn on it.

Play with the blacktop's height and pole pieces before replacing them...a little adjustment wakes then right up, not that they need much. Plug it in and adjust by ear.

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
Play with the blacktop's height and pole pieces before replacing them...a little adjustment wakes then right up, not that they need much. Plug it in and adjust by ear.
Of I've done that, I've had it for 4 years now and its my #1. I'll end up changing them one day simply because i can never leave anything alone. To be honest the main reason i havent experimented with pickups and wiring changes is the whole wiring a hollowbody thing. It kinda intimidates me lol

5-0 phonebooth

Reaction score
I'll put some ones pups in to test if they are as good or better than the blacktops.
I also pinned the bridge.
the new 'liners have a semi-pinned bridge as one of the cool upgrades. I'd like to hear the BTs vs TVJs vs a vintage 'tron on all the new models!

Last edited:

Latest Threads