My new Gibson Les Pauls pickup selector won't stay on Rhythm

Deisun

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got a new Gibson Les Paul.
The pickup selector when moved to the Rhythm position seems to make contact with the side of the ring and doesn't stay in position very well.
I can remove the plastic cap on the selector and it will stay in position, but I don't want to do that. I could also sand the plastic cap down too to fix it (a fix I'm thinking of doing).

Is there a better way to fix this without doing any sanding or cutting of the cap?

Last edited:

SloMoTX

Reaction score
How about a photo? Sounds like the switch is sitting low into the cavity. The switch should be secured to the cover with a ring screw. Maybe it just needs to be tightened some more to raise the toggle.

Nikwho

Reaction score
Is this a Gibson guitar? Seems like quality control has diminished with them, sadly. But, regardless an easy fix. Worst case. You can buy a new switch for $15-$20 amd quickly install. Or, there may be a backing nut or washer on the switch that could be removed, to bring the switch up some.
Screenshot_20210928-065157_Chrome.jpg

Deisun

Reaction score
Yes it's a Gibson, sorry.
At first glance it seems like the toggle is not aligned perpendicular to the guitar body, and thus the switch is hitting the ring on the upper side. I'm not sure how likely that is, but it also is a possibility that its too far inside the cavity as one of you said.

I can provide some pictures when I get home from work.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Remove the back cover, and the ring securing the switch at the top and see if you can push it up further and align it straighter. Be careful as you do this and try to only touch the bottom of the switch. It's easy to smash the leaves on the sides if you don't.

The only time I've had this happen was on one of my older MIJ LP types and it was because the wood was too thick for the long Switchcraft even with the deep nut. I had to actually remove some of it from the inside of the switch cavity. But, since this is a Gibson I highly doubt that is the issue. It's probably that the switch wasn't installed as well as it could have been.

smk506

Reaction score
Had the same problem on a precision guitar kit. Solution was a metal Gretsch switch tip in my case. :laugh2:

Deisun

Reaction score
After looking at a YouTube video and reading your responses this might be an easy fix...
It just looks like the switch is not aligned properly in the center of the hole in the middle position. It is facing slightly upwards towards the top of the guitar at the center position, which means the Rhythm position doesn't have enough room to stay toggled up. A bit surprised this got past Gibson QC...or should I be?

I'll open it up tonight and see if I can just re-align it so it's centered.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
mine is the same, the hole inside the toggle switch cavity simply wasn't drilled deep enough ..

Scott Gordon

Reaction score
If it's a new guitar and purchased from an authorized Gibson dealer, it's under warranty.
Don't screw around with it. Take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it. They will either give you a new one, or send it back to Gibson for repair.
In my case, I purchased a Recording that had wiring issues. After contacting Gibson, they told me of a Gibson Authorized Luthier in my area. I went directly to him and he fixed it in two days, and did a PHENOMINAL set up!
If I had screwed with it myself, I would have voided the warranty.

mrblooze

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got a new Gibson Les Paul.
The pickup selector when moved to the Rhythm position seems to make contact with the side of the ring and doesn't stay in position very well.
I can remove the plastic cap on the selector and it will stay in position, but I don't want to do that. I could also sand the plastic cap down too to fix it (a fix I'm thinking of doing).

Is there a better way to fix this without doing any sanding or cutting of the cap?
Back the cap off until it will stay in position. Not an uncommon problem. After you find the right spot, you can put a small dab of super glue on the threads to tighten against (mask off the guitar so you don't drip on the finish). If the problem is the routing (which it probably is...), then you'll probably have the same issue with most replacement switches.

Paul46

Reaction score
My Standard had this problem. Solved it by getting the shorter Switchcraft switch which has a longer thread.

goodvibes

Reaction score
These switches are known for getting broken and/or bent whenever the case takes a good “whack” during shipment.

Pesh

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my red (profile pic) LP when I first got it - the switch couldn't 'click' into either position. Turns out the wood at that point was a bit too thick, which was solved by a careful bit of drilling from the inside to thin it a little. The switch then sat a little prouder, and was able to lock in place.

Might be a solution for you...?

Latest Threads