MY New ES-339

shark

Reaction score
Been wanting a smallish hollowbody ever since I bought the PRS hollowbody II and found out the hard way what a great looking P.O.S it was. Traded it off and made a yamaha kybd out of it..:applause:
Tried a 336 and dont like the flat top or the sound of it. Felt good just didnt like the way it looked over all.
Anyway reading here and there and everywhere about the choices , I ran across the thread on the ES-339/359. ohhhhhhhhh I like. Was able to locate 2 of them that I could try . 1 figured 359 with the custom appointed neck and 1 plain top 339 with dot markers. Played them both and settled on the plain top. Felt better playing it with the rosewood neck and it had a warmer tone IMO. The block markers and ebony combo make the 359 very fast and gives it a little brighter tone overall. Both were fresh out of the box and felt good even though I do like to adjust things to suit my finger picking. The only issue I could really find with the guitar is in the neck or bridge position the pups have a hum going, whereas in the middle position its very clean with noRF/hum. Maybe a cable problem buts its irritating me already and I have to find out whats causing that. I need a NEW aMP :lol:.

The Fender Blues Deluxe 339 combo sounded great choice in the store. I do want to try a Hot Rod Deville 4 x 10 see if I like that. A huge Vibrolux would work too. Im sticking with Fender amps bec I dont have trouble with them other than being very heavy for an old fart to tote around.

enjoy the pics if you must and go get your own 339 this one is mine :thumb:

Ill work on a small clip eventually. Enjoy. If youv'e been on the fence on this one.vGo for it..Ive thrown back more guitars in the pile than many poeple have ever owned. This one is a keeper to be played for a long long time.

b3john

Reaction score
HNGD! They are great guitars, I've got one of each. :thumb:

Artisan

Reaction score
Hello,

Good choice! I have one too. Same color. I got the '59 Fat Neck version. Is yours the Slim Taper ot the '59 Neck? In either case, it's a beauty.
I have the same noise issue in the bridge pickup. It's a slight hum but I noticed that when there is no other interferance (TV is off) there very is little or no noise.

I think the '57 Classic Plus (bridge) pickup is more sensitive, but it might be the wiring too. Who knows.

Good luck.

blues24

Reaction score
Congrats!!! What store you bought it from?

shark

Reaction score
Thanks for lookin :)
Its the 30/60 neck. 30 thousandths over a 1960 LP neck. The neck on the 359 was fatter. This one doesnt feel to overly large like a fat fender tele bat. Theres a lot of tone in them fat necks though. Dont mind me asking what you guys are pluggin in to?
I went thru the complete Fender line up. Ugh couldnt get the mud out of em. I use a dropped d sus 2 tuning and its odd needless to say and that fat D just drives amps nuts with "flarp". Mud. So I moved on to the next amp and the next and the next.
Well ended up in the Mesa section tried a few of them and then EUREKA!!! This is the amp for the 339 a Mesa TA-30 2 x 12 combo. I was grinning like a cheshire cat :D. This amp is plain and simply a tone machine. A controllable tone machine at that.. Going to pick the amp up Friday...
If I get enough tax money back im going to pick up the 359 again. I sure like the way that guitar looks, but I have learned the hard way, dont look at em play em. I think I can tweak it enough for my taste.
Thanks again my face hurts from smiling so much these past few days and its been a long time since my face hurt me instead of everyone else.

I got the guitar from GuitarCenter in Houston. The availability of these are limited. Only 2 in town I knew of and I might go back and pluck the other one off the shelf before it gets smegged.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
The Fender Blues Deluxe 339 combo sounded great choice in the store. I do want to try a Hot Rod Deville 4 x 10 see if I like that.
Our member Roberteaux plays his 339 through an HRDV and seems real happy with that rig.

That's a sweet box you got there ... HNGD.

shark

Reaction score
I tried to like the HRD as it fit my budget. At lower volume the amp sounded fine. I turned it up to about 5 with all the functions @12 o clock, went from there and the MUD just got worse the louder it got. I dont know what else to call it but MUD. Even the Fender Twins had MUD in em. Could be a case of me just not being able to tweak the sound enough with the little time I had given it. Once I got to the Mesa TA-30 I was done :). No going back when you hear what you were looking for. The TA has just enough volume to make me happy, just enough crunch to make my friends maddened and more than enough of the bright snappy clean shimmering tones we all love to hear. Clean when ya want it and mean when you need it. I didnt really want a Mesa. With the sounds I was able to get out of it I can do rock, country, rockabilly, jazz, blues, just about anything thats been done in the past 50 years this amp covers it. I have 3 guitar buddies with a Mesa and it was the last amp I wanted just bec of that alone. Ohh Im going to get one them faked cardboard Marshall amps and put it over the Mesa so they wont know :lol:

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Glad you found an amp that works for you. I haven't heard those same probs with muddy Fenders myself, but we have different ears and whatnot. Anyway, HNGAD, Bub. :thumbs:

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
Happy NGD! Looks real nice, just gorgeous! Glad you're liking it. so have you picked up that Mesa yet, or is still on your list?

shark

Reaction score
Thanks again, :wave:

the Mesa TA-30 comes home Friday. Im going for the 2 x 12 combo. Not too heavy around 60 lbs. Went back today to check it out again as I don't like returning things bec I didn't do enough homework. Plugged in the 359 this time. Hmm I didn't like the 359 the other day now I plug it into the Mesa and It just sings. Just goes to show that not all guitars are good with just any amp. You have to be more pointed in the sound you are searching for in your mind. I cant wait to get that thing to the garage gig saturday night. Ever feel transformed? Dayum my face hurts.

I think I want the 359 too now. :)

Latest Threads