My new custom

lead

Reaction score
Hi guys as some of you may know I've been on the hunt for an alpine white custom. Well I just got one brand spanking new from long & mcquaid. Picked it up today actually. When I arrived I asked the chap I was dealing with how it looked he said good but noticed a bit of checking in the finish. I looked it over and didn't notice it so didn't think much about it guitar looks and feels great. Got it home and in a with the lighting in my house I could see what he ment about checking. It gives the guitar some caricature but I'm kinda concerned that maybe some chunks of lacquer are gonna chip off in no time what do you guys think 5 plus k for this puppy.

Attachments

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If that is a brand new 2020-2021 guitar send it back.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brand new shouldn't have any checking. A non-reissue LP Custom is $5700 CAD so they didn't give you anything for the checking. I'd take it back, because I can bet that L&M won't give you a post sale discount. I have pages of transactions in their computer, and I've gotten mostly good deals there on used gear. They don't like to move off MSRP unless there's an issue at the outset, or head office decides to discount a particular model.

lead

Reaction score
Brand new shouldn't have any checking. A non-reissue LP Custom is $5700 CAD so they didn't give you anything for the checking. I'd take it back, because I can bet that L&M won't give you a post sale discount. I have pages of transactions in their computer, and I've gotten mostly good deals there on used gear. They don't like to move off MSRP unless there's an issue at the outset, or head office decides to discount a particular model.

lead

Reaction score
Thanks for your input I originally got a quote from la music for 5300.00 and they matched it for me, the lighting in the store sucked that's why I didn't pick up on these till I got home.

jskidder

Reaction score
I'm willing to overlook a lot if the guitar feels and plays great, but that amount of checking on a new instrument would be a hard no for me. Easy decision to return it imo.

Dark Horse

Reaction score
I'd want it to be perfect for that money and because it is Gibson and a Les Paul. It sounds like this is a dream guitar for you so I wouldn't settle.

jkes01

Reaction score
That kind of ca$h, I’d want it prefect as well.

Is it only on the lower side of the guitar? Think it might have taken a hit?

You can see if they’d take some money off the price.

lead

Reaction score
I'm willing to overlook a lot if the guitar feels and plays great, but that amount of checking on a new instrument would be a hard no for me. Easy decision to return it imo.
It's funny how they tell me a little bit of checking meanwhile the guy must have been thinking in his head I wouldn't buy it lol, love salesmen, you think when they received it they would have shipped it back to gibson rather then try and pon it off on someone its definitely going back I didn't post all picks but there are about seven long cracks like that cant beleave I couldn't see them at the store.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
^^^^yes the fact they even sold that as new doesn’t say a lot about their business model.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input I originally got a quote from la music for 5300.00 and they matched it for me, the lighting in the store sucked that's why I didn't pick up on these till I got home.
I paid half of that for a used custom that had less checking than that and was 18 years old.

lead

Reaction score
That kind of ca$h, I’d want it prefect as well.

Is it only on the lower side of the guitar? Think it might have taken a hit?

You can see if they’d take some money off the price.
I got them down 400 for what was suppose to be a mint one I would be to afraid to pick this one up one day and see a chunk of finish fall off looks like this one will eventually have this happening my 1992 has some flaking around the diamond inlay but that's understandable. Thanks for responding

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I got them down 400 for what was suppose to be a mint one I would be to afraid to pick this one up one day and see a chunk of finish fall off looks like this one will eventually have this happening my 1992 has some flaking around the diamond inlay but that's understandable. Thanks for responding
It’s honestly doesn’t look that bad, and I would be fine owning it, just not with spending that much on it. It’s probably at worst going to keep checking. You might get some uneven yellowing. For $5000 you could get a used one with the aging in place and it it would appreciate and not depreciate.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
For all the people that post here with their new guitars that are questioning returning it due to some small little issues, this is a definite "need to return it" in my book unless you are financially compensated. The street value of that guitar on the used market is definitely less than if it was unchecked. It is not fair to you to shoulder that financial consequence especially for such an expensive brand-new guitar. That being said, if you absolutely love it, are going to keep it, and think it just adds character to the overall look, I would get that too. Sorry for the flip-flopping ... I guess then that am no real help, am I?

lead

Reaction score
For all the people that post here with their new guitars that are questioning returning it due to some small little issues, this is a definite "need to return it" in my book unless you are financially compensated. The street value of that guitar on the used market is definitely less than if it was unchecked. It is not fair to you to shoulder that financial consequence especially for such an expensive brand-new guitar. That being said, if you absolutely love it, are going to keep it, and think it just adds character to the overall look, I would get that too. Sorry for the flip-flopping ... I guess then that am no real help, am I?
I contacted them this morning they are taking it back and are looking into finding me another one hate the wait but that kind of checking has me to worried that a chunk of finish may flake off, some cracks go right to the neck pickup cavity, and your right I'm sure if I was to list it for sale today I wouldn't get the price I paid

lead

Reaction score
Take it back and don't give it another thought. That is terrible.
Ì brought it back today, the issue with this one they think is they had shipped it from long & macqude in BC and it must of froze on the truck. They are going to bring one in from the gibson now instead I hope I'm not waiting a year lol all this covid stuff has really slowed things down.

Latest Threads