My nº1 gets a new fretboard

NINFNM

Reaction score
This 92 LP standard is my beloved nº1 since I got it. From how it looks you can deduce how good it is, I got it near mint back in the day:

LP.jpg

Neck refin in white just because (it looks cool):

2022-05-21 4.JPG

It has been refretted twice, and problem is that, in the last one, the fretboard was sanded badly, being thinner on the bass side at the nut, and also with a slight ”twist” on it, as the difference was minor at the high frets. These two refrets made the neck slightly thinner overall (21 mm at the 1st fret) compared to how it was when new.

Photo-0.jpg

Honestly the difference to the hand was minor and there was not fret buzz at all, but the deamons in my head do not listen to reason, so I decided to go with a fretboard replacement.
The idea is to put in a new, slightly thicker than normal, fretboard that is properly radiused to get 21.5 mm thickness and no twist, so I sent the guitar to have it done.

Now there’s no turning back:
Captura11.JPG

Captura22.JPG

Last edited:

Guru Meditation

Reaction score
This is amazing. Those who haven't kept and -most important- relentlessly play a specific guitar for many years, cannot understand the pure joy of getting to experience in "real time" how that guitar gets better and better than when it was new or lightly used. I bet it sounds even better than it did when you first got it. It also looks fantastic.

NINFNM

Reaction score
This is amazing. Those who haven't kept and -most important- relentlessly play a specific guitar for many years, cannot understand the pure joy of getting to experience in "real time" how that guitar gets better and better than when it was new or lightly used. I bet it sounds even better than it did when you first got it. It also looks fantastic.
True, I have very little interest in acquiring new guitars, I like the idea of doing everything with the same one. It can in fact do it, as it has Fralin Unbuckers on it, which, while sounding like PAF clones, in single mode there is no volume drop, and they even sound more ballsy than my strat, my only other guitar along with a Spanish one.

Tollie

Reaction score
@NINFNM I love the honest wear on your guitar and the white neck is so cool. This guitar has some serious mojo. Do you wear a giant honkey tonk belt buckle?!?

Did you pick out a sweet fretboard? What fret size are you going with?

darkvoice

Reaction score
I love how your guitar became naturally aged. Think about how much money you would have to pay to Murphy Lab to make it look like this.

NINFNM

Reaction score
@NINFNM I love the honest wear on your guitar and the white neck is so cool. This guitar has some serious mojo. Do you wear a giant honkey tonk belt buckle?!?

Did you pick out a sweet fretboard? What fret size are you going with?
I will use this opportunity to honor this guitar with a nice dark Madagascar board, cellulose inlays and medium jumb SS frets.

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool guitar.

Good for another 30 years after the new fretboard is installed.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Looks like good clean work so far. But I can't get past the white neck. That's just jarring to me. I'd hate it. But it's yours, and you like what you like. As it should be.

NINFNM

Reaction score
Looks like good clean work so far. But I can't get past the white neck. That's just jarring to me. I'd hate it. But it's yours, and you like what you like. As it should be.
My plan A was to keep the current white finish but knew it would be difficult. However this guy is an artist and seems the damage is minor, so far. Once everything is glued on I will see what to do, as plan B is to refin the neck in trans cherry.
I will do the finishing part, I'm good at that, but my preference is to keep the current color and just overspray some clear on the binding. We will see.

Update: Sweet board and inlays

Captura1.JPG

Captura2.JPG

Knoby

Reaction score
Dude. New board looks sweet. Keep the neck white. Lots of mojo.

Tollie

Reaction score
My plan A was to keep the current white finish but knew it would be difficult. However this guy is an artist and seems the damage is minor, so far. Once everything is glued on I will see what to do, as plan B is to refin the neck in trans cherry.
I will do the finishing part, I'm good at that, but my preference is to keep the current color and just overspray some clear on the binding. We will see.

Update: Sweet board and inlays

View attachment 637451
View attachment 637452
Gorgeous fretboard and inlays. I hope you can keep the white neck.

LeftyBlake84

Reaction score
Amazing wear, for an obviously amazing player piece. And that is a stunningly nice grained board. Love when there’s just a whisper of open grain. It’s gonna be just as killer as it ever was. Thanks for sharing the shots.

moreles

Reaction score
Wow! I didn't know you could get that relic effect without nitrogen, XActo knives, chains, toxic coatings, and the disappearance of $2-3K. You said you...played it? You should do a YouTube instructional detailing that bizarre method. Now, who do you think you are, to alter any aspect of a Les Paul? How dare you modify your own property to suit your own visual and physical preferences! But seriously, I like your improvements. I never would have thought about the white neck, though black lacquer is a fairly popular move on some guitars, but I think it looks really great with the particular colors and aging of the guitar overall. I don't know why we don't see more fretboard replacements since it is an easy job and can accommodate the tweaks you sought to even out the movement (and the mis-shaping) that occurred over the years. In addition to a neck twisting a bit -- which can be terrible, so you're lucky the twist is tiny -- the original Gibson builds sometimes have the necks set in tipped slightly one way or the other, and everything can get trued up now. A fine new fretboard can also lend strength and stability to the entire instrument. My only quibble, and I'm a minotiry voice, is going w/ SS frets. I would much rather have the ability to work on the frets as the guitar settles in than to have non-wearing frets. On your own guitar, the neck movements and shifts are the kind of thing that can call for adjusting the height of a few frets, or even a part of one fret. With SS, these really helpful tweaks, where the fret can be corrected not because the fret is bad but because wood moves, etc., becomes a huge PITA and quite obnoxious. Anyway, the deal is that you can get your own guitar redone to your preference, so who care what I would do? Great stuff, IMO. Enjoy.

NINFNM

Reaction score
Wow! I didn't know you could get that relic effect without nitrogen, XActo knives, chains, toxic coatings, and the disappearance of $2-3K. You said you...played it? You should do a YouTube instructional detailing that bizarre method. Now, who do you think you are, to alter any aspect of a Les Paul? How dare you modify your own property to suit your own visual and physical preferences! But seriously, I like your improvements. I never would have thought about the white neck, though black lacquer is a fairly popular move on some guitars, but I think it looks really great with the particular colors and aging of the guitar overall. I don't know why we don't see more fretboard replacements since it is an easy job and can accommodate the tweaks you sought to even out the movement (and the mis-shaping) that occurred over the years. In addition to a neck twisting a bit -- which can be terrible, so you're lucky the twist is tiny -- the original Gibson builds sometimes have the necks set in tipped slightly one way or the other, and everything can get trued up now. A fine new fretboard can also lend strength and stability to the entire instrument. My only quibble, and I'm a minotiry voice, is going w/ SS frets. I would much rather have the ability to work on the frets as the guitar settles in than to have non-wearing frets. On your own guitar, the neck movements and shifts are the kind of thing that can call for adjusting the height of a few frets, or even a part of one fret. With SS, these really helpful tweaks, where the fret can be corrected not because the fret is bad but because wood moves, etc., becomes a huge PITA and quite obnoxious. Anyway, the deal is that you can get your own guitar redone to your preference, so who care what I would do? Great stuff, IMO. Enjoy.
You're right, lets see how the fretboard accomodates and if furthet fretworks are needed or not, cross fingers.
The good news is that the neck was dead straight with no twist at all, only the old fretboard had a twisted shape due to the poor leveling job from previous refrets.
The work of the luthier has already ended, now is my part to do the finishing. Once I have the guitar in person i will decide if a minor touchup is sufficient or I need to go with a full neck refin. Actually the idea of trans cherry is growing on me, but at the same time I like how the white looks and I don't have much time to spare.
Captura3.JPG

NINFNM

Reaction score
OK, The guitar has arrived and the result and appearance of the new fretboard is spectacular:

PXL_20220929_170556490.jpg

PXL_20220929_170551205.jpg

now I am in doubt about whether to repair the paintwork damage or to take the opportunity to repaint the neck completely. I'm going to take a couple of days to think about it, what is your opinion?

PXL_20220929_170422983.jpg
Caphhtura.JPG

Mockbel

Reaction score
This is amazing
Sounds like a lot of history and memories you have with this guitar… It is nice how you are giving it a kiss of life for another few decades !

Subterfuge

Reaction score
why mess with success ? you love the guitar, you loved the neck white when you painted it, I'd just be happy and leave it as is .. it's great

NINFNM

Reaction score
Unpopular? decision made:
IMG-20221002-WA0011.jpg

The guitar may have lost much of its mojo, yes, but the reason behind this is that the surgical repair of the current lacquer, with leveling of the new binding, would take as long as repainting it, and with worse results, so considering that the paint was not the original, I decided to return it to initial state.

Latest Threads