My moment of clarity.

Kody

Reaction score
Installed a set of Wizz in my RO. And man did they sound good through my Marshall jubilee but, I picked up an original 1965 Fender Tremolux amp and well....there it was, that classic les Paul tone I had always admired. Maybe it’s in part due to the fender amp being a true all tube driven/ tube rectified amp vs the jubilee’s use of diode clipping. Or perhaps I’m a Fender amp guy after all these years of playing Marshall’s. Maybe even this amp is just special, but it sure does have an amazing tone paired with my les Paul. I recommend anyone playing through a tremolux amp if you have not had the chance.

E.T.

Reaction score
There's definitely something to the tube rectifier. You don't get the sag with solid state diodes.

ARandall

Reaction score
And there is something about those old amps too. You listen to side-by-sides with modern reissues and there is just no comparison.

I'd love to find a nice old Fender.....but being a 240v country we have more than a few issues with conversions.

bluesoul

Reaction score
Installed a set of Wizz in my RO. And man did they sound good through my Marshall jubilee but, I picked up an original 1965 Fender Tremolux amp and well....there it was, that classic les Paul tone I had always admired. Maybe it’s in part due to the fender amp being a true all tube driven/ tube rectified amp vs the jubilee’s use of diode clipping. Or perhaps I’m a Fender amp guy after all these years of playing Marshall’s. Maybe even this amp is just special, but it sure does have an amazing tone paired with my les Paul. I recommend anyone playing through a tremolux amp if you have not had the chance.
BF Fenders and Les Pauls = "holly shit that sounds good"!
So, that is what is going on! Plus your amp IS special!

tonybony

Reaction score
I have had the exact same thing happen to me in the past few years. I played Marshalls and the like for 30 years. I have been monogamous with a particular Les Paul for the past five years and now I play Fender type amps. "Holy shit that sounds good" sums it up pretty well.

bum

Reaction score
I have had the exact same thing happen to me in the past few years. I played Marshalls and the like for 30 years. I have been monogamous with a particular Les Paul for the past five years and now I play Fender type amps. "Holy shit that sounds good" sums it up pretty well.
I have had the same journey, sort of.
I had a Bluesbreaker for gigging, love it and still own it, but got a Twin just for home use. The cleans were so astonishing to me that I got a Mesa for gigging with (which I consider to be a tweaked Fender vibe of amp really) and now I am in heaven :)

jwinger

Reaction score
Les Paul + old fender amp or something in the style is the sound for me! Glad you found it :)

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The thing about old Fenders that many people don't think about is that they are warm, I mean wwaaaaarrmm! Especially when cooking. Sure they can chime as well, but a Les Paul just sounds so beautiful and full through them due to all of that low end. It can make things a bit tougher in a bend depending on style of music and things, but damn does my Les Paul sound great through old Fenders.

Kody

Reaction score
I played it in a band setting and compared to my 100 watt Marshall the fender cut through the mix like a hot knife through warm butter even turned down low.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I played it in a band setting and compared to my 100 watt Marshall the fender cut through the mix like a hot knife through warm butter even turned down low.
That's awesome! My '66 Pro Reverb also cuts very well, I meant more in the sense that the low end doesn't always take higher gain applications as well. But anything from country to blues to classic rock (up to about AC/DC), they sound fantastic IMO. My favorite rig for classic rock, blues, and Americana is definitely my Les Paul through the Pro Reverb, it's when I want more gain (80s, 90s, and beyond) that I reach for another amp.

What speakers are you using with it? Like any rig, I've found that speakers really impact what an old Fender can handle tremendously. I currently have a pair of Celestion Neo Creambacks in mine, as much for the weight savings as anything else. They sound great, but I could possibly do even better. Before I had Celestion Creamback M65s in there, and I might have preferred them by a hair. My original speakers are not in the best of shape, and I like the extra mids and slightly tamed highs that I get from the Creambacks, though I might try a different speaker soon.

Last edited:

EXPLRGAB

Reaction score
It has never occurred to me to acquire a Marshall amp. I am a Fender/6L6 kind of guy......I like the 6V6 sounding amps too. I did play through an early Germino Hammerhead EL34 amp I borrowed for a gig and it was alive and spongy. That amp was discontinued..That has been my only significant interaction with EL34 amps.

Kody

Reaction score
That's awesome! My '66 Pro Reverb also cuts very well, I meant more in the sense that the low end doesn't always take higher gain applications as well. But anything from country to blues to classic rock (up to about AC/DC), they sound fantastic IMO. My favorite rig for classic rock, blues, and Americana is definitely my Les Paul through the Pro Reverb, it's when I want more gain (80s, 90s, and beyond) that I reach for another amp.

What speakers are you using with it? Like any rig, I've found that speakers really impact what an old Fender can handle tremendously. I currently have a pair of Celestion Neo Creambacks in mine, as much for the weight savings as anything else. They sound great, but I could possibly do even better. Before I had Celestion Creamback M65s in there, and I might have preferred them by a hair. My original speakers are not in the best of shape, and I like the extra mids and slightly tamed highs that I get from the Creambacks, though I might try a different speaker soon.
The Bassman has celestion golds. The tremolux has some sort of Weber Alnico that’s supposed to be a repro of the original speakers. I have not checked them personally.

Latest Threads