My LP Classic is a Fake, According to Gibson...

dtube

Reaction score
Hi all. I just had the rug pulled out from under me. I had contacted Gibson to track-down some construction info on my 91 Classic Plus; they asked for pix, especially of the headstock, front and back; I did so. I received a pretty prompt reply back that my LP was a FAKE :shock: :mad2: On this guitar the fret-nubs/binding is perfect, the truss-rod cover look correct; and the headstock shape looks correct (to me, at least). I bought this through Ebay last-July from a reputable used guitar dealer who, at the time, had 300+ feedback and a 100% score. The transaction was smooth and quick; I was very pleased with the dealer. I am just stunned at this news. The more I look at it though, the logo does look suspicious (pix below). The neck feels right, looks great (there's some flame in the mahoghany), and the frets are correct size. One thing I did notice though: if you run your fingernail along the joint where the neck meets the body, there is a barely perceivable seam that, to me would indicate that a pro had re-set the neck at one point. You can't see any space or a crack along this joint; its just a feel thing. I suspect that perhaps the body is genuine (the markings in the pickup slots are accurate and all the hardware, pots, and pickups are period-correct gibson, but the neck might have been a replacement many years back.

Could everyone take a look at the headstock pictures below and let me know what you think. It appears as though that was what Gibson made their ruling on.

I have sent an email to the dealership that politely spelled-out Gibson's findings. I also mentioned that Gibson's legal department would be in-touch with him (thats per the info I received from Support). I also said that I expected a full refund of the purchase price once he had confirmation from Gibson of their findings. This purchase was made in mid-July using Ebay and PayPal. But, I am far beyond their purchase-assistance period that I don't expect any help. I paid with a credit card though PayPal though.

Anyone have any helpful suggestions here? I'm still sitting here is utter disbelief...
-Darren

lp_junkie

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, the Gibson inlay does look strange sounds like Fleabay has struck again. The serial number looks odd to me as well, I thought everything but the Historics had regular production serial numbering.

Edit- I stand corrected on the Classic SN, Gibson used the 1 XXXX format for the 89-99 classics so in theory there is a 9 xxxx that is a Classic not a historic or vintage 59.

Jason

Reaction score
Yeah that serial number is not right for a Classic, and the logo inlay looks really shoddy. Sorry dude! :(

SFK

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, the Gibson inlay does look strange sounds like Fleabay has struck again. The serial number looks odd to me as well, I thought everything but the Historics had regular production serial numbering.
The early classics had a system similar to the historics except that the first number represented the year of production.

The 1 for example...Making it a 91.

Pre historic Custom shop re issues were also numbered this way.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Shoot a few more pics out here.
I want to see the bridge and the control cavity...

If you feel like doing a dissection pull the pup's and lets have a look in there also...

But yeah the headstock is a bit amiss ...

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, do you have any photos of the whole guitar?

Jason

Reaction score
The early classics had a system similar to the historics except that the first number represented the year of production.

The 1 for example...Making it a 91.

Pre historic Custom shop re issues were also numbered this way.
AH... I was not aware of that.

Ed B

Reaction score
sorry to hear about this!! i am not good with spotting fakes. i would certainly trust gibsons customer support in that area.

the only thing i think may hurt you is the fact that you have this guy involved in legal matters before you spoke to him. rightfully so, but you said you had a good experience and that he was trust worthy. the guy may take it personal and not try to help you.

i hope it works out for you!! good luck

lp_junkie

Reaction score
I just found out about SN formatting for early classics as well, I was researching that SN.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
*Sigh* I've seen the logo like that a million times. It's not fake! More proof that whomever is answering the phone at Gibson has NO idea what they're talking about. There was another Classic in a recent thread that had a logo almost identical to that, but it had no "i" dot. The Gibby logo is not written in stone.

Try looking at some Norlin logos. There's a headache for ya.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
That's horrible...hopefully you can get this resolved in your favor.
Can we get some shots of the entire guitar? Be nice to see how good these fakes have become.

As for the Gibson logo, it isn't on a straight line. The "on" seem raised.
Other than that, good job on the headstock...WOW!
I'll bet a lot of people would have been fooled by this one.

Gunner

CEO Teen Axe Leader
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
*Sigh* I've seen the logo like that a million times. It's not fake! More proof that whomever is answering the phone at Gibson has NO idea what they're talking about. There was another Classic in a recent thread that had a logo almost identical to that, but it had no "i" dot. The Gibby logo is not written in stone.

Try looking at some Norlin logos. There's a headache for ya.

Really? I don't have 5% of the experience you do Boles Dude, but I've never seen the Gibson lettering like that before on a Classic. I would have said fake in 2 seconds seeing that lettering. Mind you , the oldest Classic I've seen was from 94. I've got Gibson checking out a used Classic for me right now. I hope I get someone there who knows his stuff. Thanks for the eye opener. Now I'm convinced I can never spot a fake properly!:D

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here's a fresh shot of my Classic

Much newer than the one in question ...

jomo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm with house IT"S REAL! They had some funky logos in the early 90's and the # is spot on with what it should be, even the ink stamp. My 95 classic's # is just like that. It's 5 554X. I think the guy at Gibson is probably caught up in all these fake Gibson reports. That guy that sold it to you is going to be pissed.
Here's mine...

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Really? I don't have 5% of the experience you do Boles Dude, but I've never seen the Gibson lettering like that before on a Classic. I would have said fake in 2 seconds seeing that lettering. Mind you , the oldest Classic I've seen was from 94. I've got Gibson checking out a used Classic for me right now. I hope I get someone there who knows his stuff. Thanks for the eye opener. Now I'm convinced I can never spot a fake properly!:D
I'll see if I can find it, but the Classic I mentioned was a '90. Think of it as a transitional period between the logo of the '80s and what we have today.

Todd

Reaction score
Assuming it is a fake, what is it? An Epiphone or off brand rebadged with Gibson script? What about the pickups?

Gunner

CEO Teen Axe Leader
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't want to hi-jack dtube's thread but here are some pics of a Classic I was checking out. I thought it was real What do you guys think?

Gunner

CEO Teen Axe Leader
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Two more pics.

The guitar dater project doesn't help with the serial number.

Latest Threads