My Little Girl Grew Up

Nard

Reaction score
It happens to everyone who has kids I suppose. I helped my daughter move into her flat in London this weekend. She’s lived away before when she was at college but this is her moving away to work and living her own life. My wife was in tears all the way back home and it was emotional for me saying goodbye but I’m happy to see her moving forward. I know I’ll see her quite often but I never thought it would happen that my baby girl would leave home.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had two steps that I raised as my own children.

The day finally came when the daughter decided to join the US Air Force, and so I took her to the bus station in Daytona to send her off. I sat around after the bus was boarded, waiting for it to leave... waved to her as the bus got underway.

I was walking back to my car when the bus station manager came up to offer a cup of coffee to me. He was all choked up, almost tearful... said he got that way by watching me sitting around on a cinder block wall, smoking cigarettes while waiting for the bus to head out. He found it all to be somehow very poignant.

To be sure, I was definitely feeling rather wistful out there... but you know, I think that the station manager was more emotionally moved by the whole affair than I was!

--R

Last edited:

Malikon

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I cried like a baby when we moved my daughter to her new life in Austin. My wife told me to quit crying and grow a pair.
I had two steps that I raised as my own children.

The day finally came when the daughter decided to join the US Air Force, and so I took her to the bus station in Daytona to send her off. I sat around after the bus was boarded, waiting for it to leave... waved to her as the bus got underway.

I was walking back to my car when the bus station manager came up to me with a cup of coffee in his hand. He was all choked up, almost tearful... said he got that way by watching me sitting around on a cinder block wall, smoking cigarettes while waiting for the bus to head out. He found it all to be somehow very poignant.

To be sure, I was definitely feeling rather wistful out there... but you know, I think that the station manager was more emotionally moved by the whole affair than I was!

--R

That's when Rob told the guy to man up and grow a pair. :D

rcole_sooner

Reaction score
We've been empty nesters for a few years now. It is really nice.

:thumb:

Nard

Reaction score
She's going to have the time of her life.
I don’t doubt it for a second.

We've been empty nesters for a few years now. It is really nice.

:thumb:
I’ve still got my son at home for now. He goes back to uni in September then it will just be me and the missus. That will be strange as one of them has always been at home.

cmh6122

Reaction score
Good luck to your daughter.

What could be more satisfying than to know they are up to life without training wheels.
Is not a loss so much as the beginning of promise fulfilled. Have two daughters who flew and never doubted they could. Took me out yesterday.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
just think how cool it will be when she makes you a grandpa(in due time of course) we have 4 grandkids,a lot of fun to spoil,and sometimes a real dilemna to help keep them going in the right direction.

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was happy but kind of sad when my son moved out of State. I left home at 16, so him moving out at 21, I thought was a good idea :laugh2:
It was more about the distance really.
He had me help him shop for his new place, so being part of it, got me excited for him.

I decided not to phone or text him much after he left, so he didn't think I was being overprotected. Funny thing was, he kept texting me to see if I was OK :laugh2:

Now he is 24 and does the ignore text thing (he says he has been busy)..I threaten to call the Police for a welfare check. He replies instantly ;)

Dilver

Reaction score
Nope. I totally won’t be able to handle it. My daughter is 9 and I already think she’s growing up too fast.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems like yesterday I was taking mine to school... Now she is a software engineer with two kids rapidly approaching teen years. Son is a chef...

Damn I'm getting old. ;)

Wouldn't change anything!

Hug my kids every chance. They never get too 'big' to hug in my family...

Hug your kids. Makes it all worth it.

Howard2k

Reaction score
My daughter is about to start college this year. She lives with her mum so it’s not the same, she’s already “moved out” from my perspective, but it’s still strange all the same.

She’s going into res most likely. It’s fairly local to her mum but she’s itching for some space I think.

It’s been remarkable seeing the transition towards independence. She’s not there yet, but she’s making some good decisions and I’m sure she will do fine.

But it seems kids seem to do it slower these days. For lots of reasons. When I was 21 I was living life half a world away from my parents. I just never felt like it was something I couldn’t do. She’s headed into college so not close to 21, but it’s given me a different perspective. I don’t want her moving to the other side of the world when she’s 21. I really don’t. Res is enough, and it’s not even far.

mtsv

Reaction score
It happens to everyone who has kids I suppose. I helped my daughter move into her flat in London this weekend. She’s lived away before when she was at college but this is her moving away to work and living her own life. My wife was in tears all the way back home and it was emotional for me saying goodbye but I’m happy to see her moving forward. I know I’ll see her quite often but I never thought it would happen that my baby girl would leave home.
I feel for you... and I will be in a similar situation soon, since my daughter will be flying to the US for the last two years of college education. And most probably she will attend to a university and build a life there, which means that we will in fact be seperating from her...

Hope everything go well for our children :h5:

Nard

Reaction score
just think how cool it will be when she makes you a grandpa(in due time of course) we have 4 grandkids,a lot of fun to spoil,and sometimes a real dilemna to help keep them going in the right direction.
I like the idea of having grandkids to spoil. Can’t see it being for some time yet as she is pursuing her dream of being a dancer and that’s what she’s really focused on. Boys don’t even come into the picture at the moment.

Nope. I totally won’t be able to handle it. My daughter is 9 and I already think she’s growing up too fast.
I thought I’d be ok. I’m always telling young people to spread their wings and see the world. I left home when I was 19 and it was the making of me but watching her wave goodbye after we got her settled in just pulled at the heartstrings a bit more than expected.

Latest Threads