My 'Liberace' build

ARandall

Reaction score
Just finished getting the clear on this last week. We had a hot Easter weekend in Melbourne (one day was 32 deg C!!) so I had to rush the last parts of the build in order to take advantage of the last warm days we'll see until spring.

The genesis of this build was a Fender scale fretboard that had too many tooling marks to be used for another build, a mix of tortoise and celluloid fretboard dots......plus some silver glitter that was WAY too sparkly for the silverburst build I did last (and some leftover blue and brown nitro from 2 builds over the summer). A bit of a theme developing really.
The non-leftovers consisted of a nice figured Queensland Maple 2-piece back and a honduran mahogany neck blank. Unfortunately the neck blank was a flat one, so a scarf joint was needed for the headstock angle, plus an additional block for the heel end too. I cunningly used the brown to hide the endgrain body seams and neck block join.....although the body seam (like the scarf joint) is very obvious in some lights.

So this is a 25.5 scale Les Paul.
Its sort of going to have a bit of a Gretch vibe with a Powertron bridge pickup - paired a mini humbucker neck for hopefully an interesting tonal combo
It will also sport a trapeze tailpiece.

DSC_0415.JPG
DSC_0416.JPG
DSC_0417.JPG
DSC_0418.JPG

SlingBlader

Reaction score
Yeah, that's looking killer. The pickups and hardware will really bring it together, can't wait to see it! :thumb:

cmjohnson

Reaction score
It's tacky, but in a GOOD way. I know I shouldn't, but I LIKE sparklebursts!

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Honestly I'm not feeling the trapeze tailpiece or the Fender amp knobs. I think the finish is wild enough that the hardware should be more subtle and classic. Balance exuberance with restraint.

ARandall

Reaction score
Interesting view.
The rest of the hardware is black and silver.....so IMO the knobs fit that as perfectly as possible - as well as being a 70's throwback type feel. About the only more subdued option possible is black speed knobs, and to me that feels too blocky.

A basic trapeze is also pretty understated - no fancy scrolls and all straight lines. You're not going to get that much more understated even with a basic Les Paul style tailpiece.
More importantly it fits the 'sparkle Gretch' theme perfectly - given that look was what I was aiming for. But even then these are actually more flashy.....both in the knobs and the trapeze's used.

lowatter

Reaction score
Great build and thinking "outside the box". Your bursting came out first rate mate. I like the mashing of the brands and wouldn't change a thing. Imperial tuners might set it off adding to the bling of the thing. I'm looking forward to see a video on the final unveiling.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Thanks.....I was wondering what that tuner style was called. Got some Wilkinson variants

lowatter

Reaction score
They also call the tuners "Deco style". I looked up the Wilkinson Rotos and yes they would look great on your build.

Latest Threads