My Les Paul Ruined My Musical Life....

EdgarTrask

Reaction score
I am a 45 year old left handed guitar player, and as such, I grew up worshiping Jimi. As a silly 15 year old, I did what came naturally, and bought upside down (right handed Strats, and Strat copies) to be just like him. After many years of kids, and jobs, I have begun playing guitar again, and the first guitar I bought??? A right handed Strat.... Because thats what Ive always done. Oh, she was a beauty, white with a rosewood board, but it didnt feel right anymore... Could it be that I had grown up?
I sold the Strat and bought a left handed Les Paul (trust me, it isnt easy to find a lefty Lester). A 2013 Gold Top Signature T. MY first Lester.
Then I bought a 2003 Flying V '67 reissue. Then a 97 lefty SG Standard.
I love my other Gibbys, but the Les Paul sounds so damn good.. No other guitar Ive ever owned sounds as good, and when I play the V or the SG, its just kinda like "ehhhh...."
I cant buy anymore guitars (the wife says so), and besides that, Lesters aint cheap... Should I get rid the V and the SG? The damn Gold Top shames anything else I play.

afjungemann

Reaction score
This is something I have found to be true over and over again. Strats, Teles, even SG's are great... but they aren't an LP and don't have the thickness I love.

Guitaraxe

Reaction score
Sounds like you found a "keeper" LP. Unless you need the cash, you might just keep the other guitars and haul them out once in a while for a change up.

gball

Reaction score
I hear ya, and I agree. There have been times that other guitars scratched an itch for a sound I heard in my head but I have always come back to Les Pauls. They are home, and the combination of the tone and feel can't be beat.

TheX

Follower of the Tao of Edro
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
LP's are fine, but not my number one.

JM2112

Reaction score
I would hang onto some different guitars. It's nice to be able to change things around from time to time so you don't get too bored with one guitar. The one other guitar I would recommend you get would be a semi-hollow. :)

Malchik

Reaction score
All I own are Les Paul Customs. Yet, Les Pauls are really awkward guitars to handle.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I am a 45 year old left handed guitar player, and as such, I grew up worshiping Jimi. As a silly 15 year old, I did what came naturally, and bought upside down (right handed Strats, and Strat copies) to be just like him. After many years of kids, and jobs, I have begun playing guitar again, and the first guitar I bought??? A right handed Strat.... Because thats what Ive always done. Oh, she was a beauty, white with a rosewood board, but it didnt feel right anymore... Could it be that I had grown up?
I sold the Strat and bought a left handed Les Paul (trust me, it isnt easy to find a lefty Lester). A 2013 Gold Top Signature T. MY first Lester.
Then I bought a 2003 Flying V '67 reissue. Then a 97 lefty SG Standard.
I love my other Gibbys, but the Les Paul sounds so damn good.. No other guitar Ive ever owned sounds as good, and when I play the V or the SG, its just kinda like "ehhhh...."
I cant buy anymore guitars (the wife says so), and besides that, Lesters aint cheap... Should I get rid the V and the SG? The damn Gold Top shames anything else I play.

And Welcome to the Forum!

Learn to post pics and we'll love you!
:thumb:

EdgarTrask

Reaction score
!

Attachments

• les.jpg
    les.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 462

ajay

Reaction score
She's a beauty! Keep Your other guitars, but if You do decide to lose one, KEEP THE V! An old guy breaks out his V, he's bad! You're still young, but when You're old, make sure that You have that V on stage with You for a cool D tuning guitar. Nice Lester though!

RRfireblade

Reaction score
Really don't see how that has ruined you, as people spend their whole lives trying to find what you have already found.

You don't like the other guitars get rid of them. You can't buy anymore Les Paul's? Then trade the other guitars for another Les Paul.

No problem at all, actually nothing but good answers. :)

EdgarTrask

Reaction score
Lol, I suppose what I meant is the the Goldie has ruined all other guitars for me, even my other Gibsons!

yamariv

Reaction score
Welcome to the Les Paul world and to the SIG T Club!! :naughty:

Obviously by my signature I LOVE my LP's but I do tend to pick up the Strat here and there cause you just can't compare to Hendrix songs played on a Strat!

Sell the guitars you never pick up but buy a Strat or Tele and you should have 90% of the tone you'll ever need in my opinion.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
159127d1465431177-my-les-paul-ruined-my-musical-life-les.jpg

Nice kit!
:thumb:

Must be tough finding a lefty Marshall amp.
I had never seen one before.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I know what you mean about the colors that roar out of your amp with a Les Paul. I was playing my P90 guitars and my Jaguar for a few weeks. Last night I played my LP and it was magic. Even my Big Muff did what they said it would. Enjoy your new world of range.

Static

Reaction score
This is something I have found to be true over and over again. Strats, Teles, even SG's are great... but they aren't an LP and don't have the thickness I love.

Agreed. All my other guitars Strat, tele, PRS all play and sound good, but the Les Paul is just a lot smoother all around.

I do a lot of session work and have to use the guitar that the song calls for and find that recording sessions go better and are more satisfying when I get to use the Les Paul. The Strat is beautiful sounding, especially on the clean stuff, but I constantly struggle with volume continuity and the tonal changes between the wound and unwound strings whereas the LP is just smooth and predictable, almost as if it is naturally compressed.

So I don't think your experience is unusual - been there!!!

jbrew1977

Reaction score
Lol, I suppose what I meant is the the Goldie has ruined all other guitars for me, even my other Gibsons!
Can totally relate to that! Haven't played any of my other guitars for more than a few minutes at a time since I got my '13 70's Tribute Goldtop in October of last year. Swapped the neck pup for an Alnico II Pro (out of phase even!) and it's not only ultra versatile but easily the best playing guitar I've ever touched. Got out the sandpaper and gave the neck a nice broken in feel while I was getting rid of the STUPID thick coat of clear they put on it, and refinished with Tru-Oil. Went from remarkable to PERFECT! Les Pauls have been my dream guitar for YEARS now I have one! Welcome to the club!!!

Latest Threads