My Les Paul Defect Burst - Beauty or the Beast?

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to present you my new Les Paul R8 from 2018. I called her the Defect Burst because of the strange wood grain on the top. I still don't now if it's hot or not! Just tell me what you think? It's unusual but maybe it's her strong point.

Nothing wrong with that sex machine. Gorgeous!

Luigi Albertelli

Reaction score
I don't like this top. it's ugly. it is a grain of wood that has not been selected for the best guitars. Sorry

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
Certainly not a defect. It's your money so you're perfectly entitled to get whatever you're going to be happy with -- and these Historic models are darn pricey so you should indeed have one that works for YOU. However, as you have asked the question...
:naughty:

The figuring (flame) itself actually seems pretty well matched; the underlying wood grain may be somewhat asymmetric but, hey, it's two pieces of real wood, not a laminate or a hunk of plastic. That's what natural wood looks like.

In terms of the the overall finished guitar,
1) the top seems entirely appropriate for a replica of a late-'50's burst as plenty of the originals were way more asymmetric than your R8; :run:

2) it really does add unique character and individuality -- and that's a good thing, not a defect; :slash:
3) How does it play...?! Surely a much bigger factor in all this. :acoustic:

Personally, I think it's a great looking guitar and I can't help feeling that there are some misunderstandings and inappropriate expectations when it comes to tops on Les Paul models. It's perfectly possible to get precision-matched uber-flames and I totally get why that would be some folks' preferred aesthetic (and I'm sure the Custom Shop would be only too delighted to build such a guitar) but why would we expect to see this an a model specifically intended to be a replica of a 1958 Les Paul Standard, for which such a top was clearly not the norm...?

As an aside, I'm impressed that we're four pages in and no-one has commented on the top-wrap in the OP yet...

:iough:

Frozen Rat

Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a little odd looking, but I dig it. Why in the world do people want something uniform, something that looks like something else? Isn't unique better most of the time?

I vote, Hot.

bungle

Reaction score
Nothing wrong or defective with that top. Enjoy! :yesway:;)

redbone

Reaction score
1571888421234.png

Kinda reminds me of the top on Julia, my 2014 R8 VOS. I actually prefer those tops, more accurate to me when
compared to vintage Bursts, most of them had subtle flame, not the super heavy flame like some Historics do now.

DarthPaul

Premium Member
Reaction score
"That's not a defect.'
Screenshot_20191029-222452_Gallery.jpg

"That's a defect."
20190817_093354.jpg

*Note
(I personally don't consider this a defect - the above scene just came to mind. This top can almost look like 5 different guitars depending on lighting/angle.)

Azmedian

Reaction score
I see a dolphin facing down on the left half of the top, and a ball-fish facing up, on the right half.

Love these unusual tops!
Dolphin nahh looks more like a great white

ChuckNOS

Reaction score
Nice top. Long story I won't ge into detail, but the only actual '59 burst I've held in my hands and played had a very similar top. Only slightly flamed, the estimate of value at the time (mid-90s) from Mandolyn Bros was $20K (it did not have original PAFs) .

Personally, if your guitar was next to my guitar, I would choose mine for the more extensive flame if looks were the criteria. But....if your guitar plays and sounds like mine, it would not seem wrong whatsoever to have that but of yours in my horde.

mundtjg

Reaction score
I tend to like the bursts that have odd grain patterns. Flame is pretty, but sometimes I find them too pretty and a bit lacking in character. I love when there are imperfections and swirls in the grain

Alexb1090

Reaction score
I’d be looking for that kind of thing, I think perfect tops look cheaper, remind me of foto flame

My Les Paul Classifieds