My Les Paul Defect Burst - Beauty or the Beast?

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
Let let me understand this, do "WE" own the guitar, or you?

Why are WE making YOUR decision to keep or not, or did you just want a reason to post about your guitar. I'm confused.

Also if WE say you should get rid of it, is there a raffle that you give the guitar to one of "WE" that make your decision for you?

I say get rid of it and I have first dibs.

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well....

To be honest....its not a book match.... so it doesn’t qualify for my boorish, corksniffer snob opinion....its below my standards to even consider its belonging in my club ...

...:wtf: ???

Just kidding.....

I think its an amazing top, they matched the flames quite nicely in fact, i like the way those ribbons extend on either side... that does indicate it is a two pieces of the same slice. Only flitched matched to achieve this. This is why the “water stains” do not match at all....

Love it!

lespaul1648

Reaction score
She is unique. It's like a snowflake...no two are alike but both are beautiful...and it's yours.

HJR

Reaction score
She looks fantastic! That sort of asymmetry on the flamey R8s is what I love about them. A lot of R9s are just too “perfect”, almost to the point of feeling like a photoflame. Yours is great and I absolutely love my R8. Enjoy it!

el84ster

Reaction score
I totally dig it! I think the web creates a herd mentality about what is ;acceptable'. Man if it's cool and you like it's acceptable. I think it's awesome!

tinman1

Reaction score
Every photo on this thread looks like a fairly typical historic to me. All of them attractive and all with something a bit unique about them.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had to have a long look at it, searching for what the defect was. I thought maybe the way the burst stops short of the very bottom by the strap button.

Then I read the text.

Man, that grain is awesome! I love tops with wild grain and flecks. Much more vintage looking to me than wild flames.

....but, uh, ya. I'll buy it at a fair discount considering the "defect" it has. :naughty:

bentfinger

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to present you my new Les Paul R8 from 2018. I called her the Defect Burst because of the strange wood grain on the top. I still don't now if it's hot or not! Just tell me what you think? It's unusual but maybe it's her strong point.

I love it. If the tone is good and it plays easily, then you have a character top unlike any other, anywhere. It Is cool to have fish swimming around under the finish anyway!. Seriously, I would personally treasure this one.

Midnight Blues

Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it's cool! It's certainly unique and you be assured that there won't be another one like it.

Congrats, HNGD :jam: and play her in good health!

popeye7140

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to present you my new Les Paul R8 from 2018. I called her the Defect Burst because of the strange wood grain on the top. I still don't now if it's hot or not! Just tell me what you think? It's unusual but maybe it's her strong point.

She's a Beauty!

MW110

Reaction score
Sorry, for me it looks faulty and cheap.

Roxy13

Reaction score
That's exactly the kind of top I love. No defects there!