My Les Paul Defect Burst - Beauty or the Beast?

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the “fade”,..... but the figure and grain is unique and outstanding..... but how does it sound and play?

ARandall

Reaction score
Very typical of grain in a flatsawn maple cut with the carve you find on a Les Paul.

I too like the unique nature of that top, and any other that lets you know that you have a previously living unique organism as the basis for your instrument. If more tops were done as flatsawn rather than the seeming endless QS/straight grain/linear flame thing, then I'm sure there would be much more interest in having a flame top.
Seemingly many of those monster tops could be mistaken for one another with the preponderance of ruler straight flame of exactly the same dimension.

Luboy

Reaction score
that's a good look. here's mine, also interesting grain.

000.PNG

CaptainT

Reaction score
I think it´s a bit boring. It needs more mineral streaks XD

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Smokin’ hot! Calling that a defect (aside from being wrong) is an insult. That’s exactly the kind of eclectic top I like best!

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to present you my new Les Paul R8 from 2018. I called her the Defect Burst because of the strange wood grain on the top. I still don't now if it's hot or not! Just tell me what you think? It's unusual but maybe it's her strong point.

Thats a gorgeous less paul those streaks give it character.!:dude::acoustic:.

THDNUT

Reaction score
Yur floaty bassett hound is defective but I like floaty basset hound heads where can I adopt one.:cheers2:

You know that the wink emoji means sarcasm right? The op has a cool LP. :thumb:

The floating dog head is something someone sent to me in an e-mail.

tabascom16

Reaction score
I like the top. It adds that vintage feel when Gibson just slapped some curly maple pieces together. It is common in curly maple to have it show up more on the quarter than on the flat and that is what you are seeing there. A nice bookmatched top just doesn't have a good vintage look. If you look through BOTB or burstserial you may appreciate your top more.