My landscapers are a hostile entity

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
When my oldest son turned 10, I started having him help me do the lawn. I taught how to do it right, the same way I was taught to do it. When he was 13, he went to work for an acquaintance of mine that had a lawn business. Soon after, he started doing a shitty job when cutting our lawn. He would raise the mower deck all the way up and almost run pushing the mower around the yard , trying to get it done as quickly as possible. It drove me nuts. All his new employer cared about was how quickly they could get it done and didn't care about quality, at all. My girlfriend has a lawn guy and he does a shitty job too.

mdubya

Reaction score
When my oldest son turned 10, I started having him help me do the lawn. I taught how to do it right, the same way I was taught to do it. When he was 13, he went to work for an acquaintance of mine that had a lawn business. Soon after, he started doing a shitty job when cutting our lawn. He would raise the mower deck all the way up and almost run pushing the mower around the yard , trying to get it done as quickly as possible. It drove me nuts. All his new employer cared about was how quickly they could get it done and didn't care about quality, at all. My girlfriend has a lawn guy and he does a shitty job too.
I feel your pain.

I understand the business model, too.

Lungo

Reaction score
It’s your yard, not theirs. That’s all I got.

mdubya

Reaction score
Just cut your own lawn.
1/2 acre lot on an uneven hill side, seasonal allergies, 55 years old... I don't think so.

I paid a kid to cut the lawn of our band house when I was in my 20's.

I've lived in condos and townhomes where the association fee took care of the lawn care.

I own a home in Appalachia where I pay to have the yard maintained, too. It, too, is 1/2 acre and rocky and rugged and @ 3000 ft. It is worth it.

Even with the aggravation here, it is worth it. Way better than having to do it myself. :thumb:

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suggest finding a local kid to do it, who might appreciate the money more and put more effort in, compared to some cut throat landscape business.

mdubya

Reaction score
3/4 acre lot, some of it on a hill, also 55, i've been doing it for years.

get a cheap riding mower. they're $250-400.

I hate doing it.

Even if someone gave me a top spec John Deere or Massey Fergusson or whatever is good these days, I'd pay someone else to do it.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OK, back from a bike ride to/from Ocean City, showered, fed, medicated and relaxing. I read the OP. I read many of the responses to the OP.

For the ones who say "fire the cocksuckers!" - I say, "Yes. Fire the cocksuckers!!!" Not only because they sprayed debris all over your cars and your house (more on this later), but because they did it repeatedly, even after you asked/requested/demanded/insisted that they not do it again.

Fuck them. And, fuck their dogs! Fire them.

Make absolutely sure that the replacement peasants completely understand that a similar fate awaits them, should they mimic the actions of the former untouchables. Use pictures and drawings. Sometimes, that helps the stupid better understand the point that you are trying to make. Use small words, too. Don't confuse, or scare them.

Tell them that you will deduct your costs for damage, cleanup, and inconvenience from any payments that may be due them, for every occurrence.

Failing that, you have but two options:

1. Cut the lawn yourself (yea, i know "lotta grass" and I'm old - oh well).
2. Let it go. They'll cut your lawn and you'll clean up the mess.

Now, back to the debris and stones...

Hire someone to do it, or spend a weekend ridding you lawn of debris and stones. It's not really the lawn-cutters fault if they are spewing stuff that's on/in the lawn they are cutting.

Stone driveways fall into the category of: tell them no, then fire them, or Option #2.

But, it might be a good idea to clean up your yard, and pave your driveway.

Fracture

Reaction score
3/4 acre lot, some of it on a hill, also 55, i've been doing it for years.

get a cheap riding mower. they're $250-400.
.......hmmm

60 cars per game
8 home games -
$50 per car

were' going to need some hi-viz vests, traffic cones and
those flashlights covers

if you build it, they will come

Olds442

Reaction score
I hate doing it.

Even if someone gave me a top spec John Deere or Massey Fergusson or whatever is good these days, I'd pay someone else to do it.
fair enough, i get it. i didn't cut mine when i was making bank but always had a rider in the garage. when shit went south, i canceled Pedro and been handling it myself.

and my neighbor basically gave me his riding craftsman to get it out of his garage. it's a 2009 and runs like a boss so i'm good. sold my old one some weeks ago and an eegit drove it 5 miles home, not sure he ever made it.
.......hmmm

60 cars per game
8 home games -
$50 per car

were' going to need some hi-viz vests, traffic cones and
those flashlights covers

if you build it, they will come
here's the rub on that. i'm 2 blocks from Arlington Park, which now has a bid to purchase the park by the Chicago Bears. I could be selling top parking spots all around my property on the street for bank.

but i have no plans on being here if that actually happened. I don't believe it will, but it could be a good practice facility for them that's not 200 miles away from home. That would be fine, full blown NFL games? no thank you, stay downtown.

Latest Threads