My Jauce Experience - Use at your own risk!

Ton of Tone

Reaction score
Well, hopefully this is where the draining of the wallet ends. The actual duty charge was $169. DHL charged me $17 to pay the duty for me.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ton of Tone

Reaction score
In summary: The price of the guitar was $2010. The total cost to get the guitar to my front door was $2695. That's if no more mysterious charges appear.

zeneffect

Reaction score
That's def dhl dimensional weight. The jauce estimates go for ems I noticed.

Evo8

Reaction score
Having a similar experience with ishibashi. Paid higher than estimated for dhl shipping then get hit later with customs duty.

m5570

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a good working relationship with the Jauce people? Someone should try to suggest Fed Ex to them.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a good working relationship with the Jauce people? Someone should try to suggest Fed Ex to them.
I tried months ago, but I will again when I ask them for a quote for DHL on the one I have there before I order the shipment. If DHL is now forcing them to use those giant boxes to jack people then I'll be shipping SEA.

currypowder

Reaction score
I tried months ago, but I will again when I ask them for a quote for DHL on the one I have there before I order the shipment. If DHL is now forcing them to use those giant boxes to jack people then I'll be shipping SEA.
I wonder if you could have it shipped to FromJapan? Even paying some extra intra-Japan shipping and fees would probably be worth it to avoid DHL and use FedEx.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I wonder if you could have it shipped to FromJapan? Even paying some extra intra-Japan shipping and fees would probably be worth it to avoid DHL and use FedEx.
Interesting question. I don't know if you can do that or not?

zombywoof

Reaction score
FromJapan
I personally will not be using any intermediary that uses DHL in the future.

I read Buyee's policies and shipping quotes in regard to shipping guitars to the US via DHL before making my purchases with them. These were established prior to EMS stopping service. I have no idea when the repacking into unnecessarily over-sized boxes was implemented but this could have easily been calculated and correctly built into their shipping quotes. Although I believe this was devised by DHL as a way to increase revenue during the EMS shutdown, companies such as BUYEE and JAUCE posted false shipping quotes and basically held our guitars hostage until we paid these hidden inflated shipping fees. They are ultimately to blame. Everyone here has a right to use their proxy of choice but IMO these are inexcusable events of customer neglect.

FromJapan earned my business by not taking advantage of customers.

Thanks Greg!

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
This was my situation. I went a little bonkers last winter and spring when prices on guitars were quite low. I think fear of the pandemic caused that. So I had a ton of guitars over at Jauce, who had been my proxy of choice. Some I got out before the EMS shutdown and either 4 or 6 were still there.

However, the initial switch to DHL wasn't so awful. It was a little bit more money. Oh well, I paid and shipped my guitars home and there was not a problem until the last two with the neck through bass. But, Jauce did message me about the bass. It was too large to ship SEA. And DHL was demanding extra money for it due to the box needing to be taller. And they did put together ideas for me. They told me the exact amount if I shipped it DHL anyway. They told me the exact amount to ship just my guitar and said they would hold the bass until EMS resumed without charge. Again, I had no problems with Jauce whatsoever.

So I hadn't realized things had changed now. And bought another guitar using them. So now I have to see what is going on but it sounds like DHL has changed things. So if that is the case, I still need to get that guitar home. SEA is fine. I'd rather wait 2 months for it than to wait for EMS to resume to the US.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Since Jauce will store your guitars for free until ems resumes and i would assume SEA is still available ?? it doesn't really seem to me that you have to ship DHL or anyone.. Its your choice to ship them for stupid amounts of money. They aren't forcing you to do shit as far as I can see. That's entirely up to you. We live, we learn. Some of the onus is surely on ourselves, i know i've fucked up before from not doing my due diligence on some of the paypal exchange rates etc.. The world isn't gonna hold our hands for us.

zombywoof

Reaction score
Since Jauce will store your guitars for free until ems resumes and i would assume SEA is still available ?? it doesn't really seem to me that you have to ship DHL or anyone.. Its your choice to ship them for stupid amounts of money. They aren't forcing you to do shit as far as I can see. That's entirely up to you. We live, we learn. Some of the onus is surely on ourselves, i know i've fucked up before from not doing my due diligence on some of the paypal exchange rates etc.. The world isn't gonna hold our hands for us.
I wasn't about to ship an $1800 guitar uninsured via SEA. And I did bite the bullet and pay up for their Bait and Switch pricing. The OP (and myself) are just trying to keep this form happening to anyone else.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I wasn't about to ship an $1800 guitar uninsured via SEA. And I did bite the bullet and pay up for their Bait and Switch pricing. The OP (and myself) are just trying to keep this form happening to anyone else.
Just seems like peoplle are being little cry babies about choices they made themselves and blaming someone else. Its free to store your guitars at Jauce. FREE. Thats a pretty good deal no ?? You want them tomorrow ?? pay out your ass but dont go crying to mama about it.

zombywoof

Reaction score
Just seems like peoplle are being little cry babies about choices they made themselves and blaming someone else. Its free to store your guitars at Jauce. FREE. Thats a pretty good deal no ?? You want them tomorrow ?? pay out your ass but dont go crying to mama about it.
Cry...not. Only trying to be helpful. If you believe it to be acceptable to enter into a contract for a service and then have the terms changed after the fact, go ahead on. The alternatives to correct the breach of contract are irrelevant. Sure you can do this or you can do that. The point is: we should get the service chosen at the price offered when the purchase was made. Hopefully the posts detailing these events prevent it from happening to others.
Why you seem to have a problem with this baffles me.

Latest Threads