My Historic With the Crooked Neck

27sauce

Reaction score
I had mentioned in another thread that I would post pics of this. I got this guitar ('07 CR8) in 2010 and it had been sitting for 3 years, unplayed(I got it second hand). I had problems right off the bat. The neck wouldn't stay straight. I would have to tighten the truss rod every couple of days. I sent it to my tech who said the only solution was a refret. He also offered me a bit more than I paid for it because he said it was the best Les Paul he'd ever heard, and I thought it sounded great too. I decided to keep it, and went ahead with the refret. I got it back and immediately put it to work. It became my main guitar and I use it every night. No problems, it plays and sounds great. So the other day I was changing strings and laid it on the table. I noticed that the headstock was at an angle. Upon closer look, the neck is set in crooked!

Compared to my SG

And here you can see that the neck pocket is shallower on the cutaway side.

The fretboard and playing area are dead straight. I didn't have it long before I refretted it, so I didn't notice anything strange.

Can Gibson do anything about this? I really doubt it, since I refretted it, but its pretty obvious!

Attachments

Luke Gibson

Reaction score
I had mentioned in another thread that I would post pics of this. I got this guitar ('07 CR8) in 2010 and it had been sitting for 3 years, unplayed(I got it second hand). I had problems right off the bat. The neck wouldn't stay straight. I would have to tighten the truss rod every couple of days. I sent it to my tech who said the only solution was a refret. He also offered me a bit more than I paid for it because he said it was the best Les Paul he'd ever heard, and I thought it sounded great too. I decided to keep it, and went ahead with the refret. I got it back and immediately put it to work. It became my main guitar and I use it every night. No problems, it plays and sounds great. So the other day I was changing strings and laid it on the table. I noticed that the headstock was at an angle. Upon closer look, the neck is set in crooked!

Compared to my SG

And here you can see that the neck pocket is shallower on the cutaway side.

The fretboard and playing area are dead straight. I didn't have it long before I refretted it, so I didn't notice anything strange.

Can Gibson do anything about this? I really doubt it, since I refretted it, but its pretty obvious!

Gibson QC should have caught that.... I'm of the opinion if it's your main guitar and you love the way it sounds and plays now LEAVE IT ALONE! I've had stuff repaired/worked on and the guitar never felt or sounded the same. You are always going to take that risk.... Just my 2 cents!

MiniB

Reaction score
I think you're stuck with it the way it is by now, unfortunately. If you can swing it, might be a good project for a Luthier to reset the neck et al. But of a shock that it left the factory that way. Maybe you can contact Gibson and see if they'll do something since it's clearly a defect on their part. But if you got it used, I dunno.

MiniB

Reaction score
Yeah...I think theoretically, if the 'slant' is constant all the way down the fretboard, you can match it with the bridge posts heights/action and effectively it's the same as if the neck was square or what have you. Who knows, this may actually be a plus, ergonomically.

lkft

Reaction score
Had you been the orig owner then yes, send it to Gibson to make it right and I believe they would have. It is not that obvious a defect unfortunately and the orig owner was probably never privy to it, had he been I would've hoped that he would've sent it in for repairs. If you say it plays and sounds great then I agree w/the rest, don't fix it...unless you want to have a makeover done in which case I would be inclined to believe it would come back even better than it went.

silverkw

Reaction score
Send it to Historic Makeovers!

If not I'd just leave it as it is.

27sauce

Reaction score
I don't plan on fixing it unless its something like a Historic Makeover, which is unlikely. But yeah, I never noticed it post refret. And the neck was so jacked when I got it that I really couldn't evaluate anything.

I forget that I have a friend thtt is an artist relations rep for Gibson. I'll run it by him. Not holding my breath.

KenG

Reaction score
Certainly looks funky at first glance however your back shot is more illusion than real. Look at the amount of roundover on the backs edge on the cutaway side. It forms a line that is lower than the line on the other side adding to the illusion the neck is more off than it is. If you concentrate on the line of the back at the top of the curve you'll see what I mean. When you place the guitar on its back resting on the headstock there's no way to garantee it'll sit level because it's resting on two points (the bottom area of the body and the headstock. The LP has an asymetrical body with more wood on one side of the two points than the other. You want to see how far off it really is, set the guitar down flat on its back with the headstock hanging over the edge of the table so the entire back is sitting on the table as a reference and see what it looks like.

KenG

Reaction score
^^^It didn't say it wasn't crooked I said your pictures created an illusion it was a lot worse than it is. From the ruler, I'd say it's less than 1/16 inch difference and the hanging off the table shot doesn't look nearly as wonky as the first shots you sent (especially if you don't use the top of the nut as a visual reference as many normally would tend to do)
You've got two choices here, obsess on it till you go nuts and pay for a neck reset and refin or if it plays good live with it.

So What

Reaction score
I realize this is something you recently noticed.

But it is a little late for worrying about it now.

7gtop

Premium Member
Reaction score
hey Sauce ..... :hmm:

action is .... a measured .... :hmm:

** I haven't seen one of these in ages ,
and , you have at the very least shown ,
a build variance in the expected "quality" of an R~model .

thank you for the "share"
and the "best" in which ever way you

<---->

go

27sauce

Reaction score
Yeah, I won't obsess about it. I've been balls deep in it for a couple of weeks. I rarely have my guitar at home, and actually, I rarely ever see it in the light, so I won't really see it. I was just posting in my own thread rather than further derail the thread I had mentioned it in.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
And you were adjusting the truss rod every couple of days?
Where is the truss rod, now?