My guitar fell of the wall..

spike450

Reaction score
Hi everyone, heard a Big Bang last night and to my horror found that my Slash LP had fallen of the wall due to my atrocious DIY skills!
I thought I had gotten away without any damage and how the neck didn’t snap I have no idea, I’ve got laminate flooring in the room. I noticed today however that it must have landed on the tail piece and has driven the stud into the body on the treble side.

There are no cracks so has anyone else had this happen and can I just drag the stud back in to it’s proper place?
And I am so impressed it’s ability to withstand such a drop.

Attachments

• 0299B315-ECF8-4623-A58B-2173907880AB.jpeg
    0299B315-ECF8-4623-A58B-2173907880AB.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 958
  • 048F4D82-B86E-4B5F-AA36-D57FF2D8E2D1.jpeg
    048F4D82-B86E-4B5F-AA36-D57FF2D8E2D1.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 957

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the screws you anchored into the wall fall out?

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
Damn.
I hate to hear that.

If it doesn’t affect playability, I say leave it alone.
No one will notice but you, and you have a battle scar now.

Stories!

I’ve heard of this happening so many times over the years. I gave up hanging any of my electrics 25 years ago.

When the defying gravity act fails, the outcome can be terrible.
You lucked out it seems…

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch it. Trying to lift the bushing could loosen it... it MAY be loose now, remove the strings and check for wobble, but don't try to work it out.
Just unscrew the screw to lift the tailstop off of the body if it bothers you, but I wouldn't touch it other than to make sure it's not going to come flying out.
Monitor for tuning instability on the treble strings.

Last edited:

Dilver

Reaction score
You should probabaly get a better look at it by removing the tailpiece. See if the stud turns freely and it’s not at a weird angle.

In 30 years of hanging guitars in my houses, apartment, etc, I’ve never had one fall, even with kids, dogs and large adults running around. Was the hanger screwed into the wall stud?

spike450

Reaction score
You should probabaly get a better look at it by removing the tailpiece. See if the stud turns freely and it’s not at a weird angle.

In 30 years of hanging guitars in my houses, apartment, etc, I’ve never had one fall, even with kids, dogs and large adults running around. Was the hanger screwed into the wall stud?
It was a solid wall, but I’ve got 3 others hanging there and have for years and never had an issue before, the screws just came right out.

NotScott

Reaction score

This is my experience as well. I have about two dozen guitars that have never seen the inside of their case in almost 30 years unless they were being transported. I have never had any fall, I have never had any neck issues and I have never had any marring.

NotScott

Reaction score
I have never had to add external bracing. I have used these on my drywall for years with Off The Wall hangars with no issues:

41zexG5u75L.jpg

If I needed a mounting point on a stud, I just used the screw.

Then again, I have an older house that was built with American sheetrock, not that Chinarock crap.

Deftone

Reaction score
That really sucks. Sorry it happened but glad the damage wasn't worse.

I've got 15 guitars hanging on the walls, including some weighing 10lb +. I screwed every wall hanger into a stud. The String Swing brand uses two screws, but I have a couple that only use one screw. Lightweight guitars only on those two.

office.JPG

Last edited:

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
IMG_20211227_154403203~3.jpg

Board to the studs, then holders spaced however you see fit. I never trust drywall even with drywall anchors.

Glad the damage wasn't worse. As mentioned above I would not try to work the bushing to the height it was, I would adjust the stud to the appropriate height. Then give everything a good inspection when you change the strings.

Last edited:

1allspub

Reaction score
I’ve heard of this happening so many times over the years. I gave up hanging any of my electrics 25 years ago.
I’m an “in the case” guy when not playing them for this very reason. It’s just an accident waiting to happen. Either some catastrophic failure like this happens or someone/something knocks them down. Luckily for me I learned early on with cheap guitars on stands (ie, being knocked over) and once it got my first Gibson vowed never to leave one on a stand or wall hanger.

We are turning our basement into a living space (in-home Irish pub, TV room, guitar room) and my wife said, “We should hang your guitars on the wall, they’d look great.” To which I replied, “Nope, not gonna happen!” :)

Latest Threads