My GT1000 accentuates buzz

Crusader

Reaction score
Hi all,
I bought a GT1000 recently and with all effects turned off it seems to accentuate any fret buzz but plugging straight into the amp any of my guitars sound fine. Anyone else experience the same thing?

Its not a huge issue but it does bug me a bit

cheers, Doug

Crusader

Reaction score
When I've got an issue like this I don't stop investigating, and just now I tried it and there was no problem. Then I remembered I had changed some of the settings. I have a Fender Blues Junior so I had the "Output Select" set accordingly to "Tube Combo 112 Input" and now I have it set to "Recording" I don't know why but that solved the problem

Anyone want to comment or share their experience? I'm sure there are plenty of people with this unit

dpgumby

Reaction score
I don't own a GT1000, but I do have an old GT8 - these Boss units have a lot in common in the way they operate.

What you are describing is because when the output select is set to "Recording" (or line/phones/PA, etc.) the chain includes a guitar speaker cab emulation. Guitar speakers have a limited frequency range, rolling off at (typically) 6kHz or so at the top end. So the speaker cab emulation will aim to reproduce this and reduces the high frequency content of the signal, which will sound smoother/warmer. Something like fret buzz will therefore be greatly reduced.

When the output select is set for the input
(or FX loop return) of a real guitar amp, the speaker cab emulation is turned off, the rationale being that you don't need it when you have the real thing there. In this case, your unit is putting out what a guitar preamp would put out, which has the high frequency portion retained. If you output this signal into headphones/PA/FRFR speaker system, this can sound harsh and raspy.

The output select setting is critical to get the right sound out of these modelling units. I suggest you play with the EQ settings on the unit to reduce the high end.

On the other hand, there are no hard and fast rules, so if it sounds better to you through the Blues Junior with the output set to "Recording" then do that!

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Was something else turned on nearby? Did your air conditioner turn off in the meantime...? Did you move rooms or outlets? Does the problem return when you change settings back?

Latest Threads