My first trip in New York City (From Greece)

GreekPower

Reaction score
Hey guys

Since most of you are Americans, I would like to write about my first trip in the States in 2011. It was a 14-day vacation and my best trip so far.

The city is exactly like in the movies. I was living in a hotel very close to the Times Square. I was 22 when I got there and I was impressed by the classic stereotypes. A pair of EXTREMELY friendly black cops in every corner with donut bits in their shirts made me feel safe. The Museum of Natural History was impressive and massive but the MOMA was a disappointment. A pair of rocks on the floor is considered art?Give me a break.

The Statue of Liberty was.........tiny. I was expecting it to be HUGE but it was small.....and green! Hearing the recordings of immigrants on the Ellis Island was chilling though.

I was impressed by the portions of your food. From Diners to upscale restaurants, the portions were HUGE.Oh and your coffee sucks. But why did I have to tip the waiter? They have their salary.....(we don't have that here)

Woodbury outlet was <3 . Ralph Lauren/Brooks Brothers in ridiculous prices. Here in Greece they are as expensive as Armani

You guys have HUGE cars huh? The taxis were Lincoln I think and they felt very "flabby".

Too much humidity!!!

EVERYONE was friendly. Cops,salesmen, waitresses, hotel receptionists,tour guides even regular citizens. I was asking for directions and a citizen opened a map and showed to me.

A walk at the central park was <3 and drinking coffee at the Plaza Hotel was great! (being a 90s kid I saw the hotel at Home Alone 2 :p )

And now for guitars.....I visited both Sam Ash and Guitar Center. Sam Ash has the largest collection by far.GC wasn't anything special. Maybe I didn't visit the flagship store I don't know. In Sam Ash I told to the salesperson "look buddy, we don't have shops like these in Greece. Please let me try guitars. But I won't buy anything. In 2 days I go back and im out of money" He laughs and told me "play your heart out". He even gave me some picks as a souvenir

I played with EVH wolfgang, Gibson Customs, Fender Customs, PRS Customs.....and the best guitar I played was a 600$ Japanese Charvel San Dimas!My God it was sweeeeet. I wish I could buy it but I was out of money.

The good thing is that the exchange was good back then. 1.5$ = 1 euro. Now it's almost the same.

Overall, it was my best vacations so far. I was saving money for 2 years to afford it and do EVERYTHING. Great experience

45WinMag

Reaction score
I was impressed by the portions of your food. From Diners to upscale restaurants, the portions were HUGE.Oh and your coffee sucks. But why did I have to tip the waiter? They have their salary.....(we don't have that here)
Tipped employees fall under different minimum wage regulations than regular hourly employees. It varies by state, but your waiter could be making as little as $2.13 per hour in salary. In the US, tips are the bulk of pay for waitstaff. If a customer doesn't tip appropriately, waitstaff doesn't earn any money. If they are stiffed on tips, they can actually lose money, since they usually owe a percentage of sales to the bar staff as tip share.

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I took my 3rd trip to NYC last week. It has changed quite a bit since my last visit some years ago.

Taxis have got smaller and more modern, though I didn't take one this time.
Anything around water will go green :laugh2:

This visit for me was my longest and most enjoyable. Being a single woman where many were worried about me going, I actually felt very safe! Except when I got lost in Central Park at dusk :laugh2:

Glad you enjoyed your trip, very different to any Greek Cities.

penguinchit

Reaction score
Glad you liked the trip! NYC is a fun place to visit! It's cool to hear your perspectives on your visit.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Manhattan is awesome. The wife and I have gone several times and we will gladly go again.

It varies by state, but your waiter could be making as little as $2.13 per hour in salary.
Any idea how horrible the economy is in Greece right now? I have family members living off 200-300€ a month.

I visited Greece last year. Waitresses were speachless and extremely thankful when I tipped them even in touristy areas.

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There is tipping in Greece, mainly in the tourist areas. In the more local areas, I found they didn't. My son was there just recently and it was rather expected to, if they had not included it in the bill.

TheWelder

Reaction score
Glad you had a great time in NYC. I love that city. My wife and I got married at City Hall (marriage building) - awesome memories.

Tipping is expected for a lot of service jobs in the US especially if you go to a sit down restaurant. 15% gratuity is standard - 20% if the service and food are exceptional. We were in Europe this past spring and our German friend told us 'not to tip like Americans.' Apparently in some places it can be seen as rude? We had a seriously hard time not tipping and ended up doing it every time. Some places were more surprised by it than others.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Glad you had a great time in NYC. I love that city. My wife and I got married at City Hall (marriage building) - awesome memories.

Tipping is expected for a lot of service jobs in the US especially if you go to a sit down restaurant. 15% gratuity is standard - 20% if the service and food are exceptional. We were in Europe this past spring and our German friend told us 'not to tip like Americans.' Apparently in some places it can be seen as rude? We had a seriously hard time not tipping and ended up doing it every time. Some places were more surprised by it than others.
Mostly agreed except I'd say
20%-30% + if the service is exceptional, the food isn't up to the waiter and Im not aware of any kitchen that gets a percentage of the tips. The food better be great no matter what or its going back, how the waiter handles THAT influences the tip IMO.

GreekPower

Reaction score
Regarding the tipping......I wasn't insulted I was just surprised that it was written in a receipt. Here in Greece we tip freely...not a percentage of the receipt.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
glad you had a good time in NYC :)

it's funny how so many people from outside of The States will comment on how friendly the city is . and then depending on what part of the Midwest or Southern states a person is from , they consider New York people rude . it probably has to do with the pace of the city ( ? )

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

it's funny how so many people from outside of The States will comment on how friendly the city is . and then depending on what part of the Midwest or Southern states a person is from , they consider New York people rude . it probably has to do with the pace of the city ( ? )
That might be it... the pace. :hmm:

What I noticed about NYC during my visits there was that people weren't actually so rude as they were brusque. They weren't distinctly unfriendly or insulting, though I noticed all are quite watchful of one another, even while trying to appear not to be. They had a tendency to seem as though they had one another clocked.

Their responses when spoken to on the street seemed to be quick and to the point, but one didn't usually develop a rapport with them. They often tended to seem preoccupied.

I noticed that they eased up some when you had a few drinks in a bar with them. But even at that, the watchful, almost wary mindset tended to persist.

I've also known native New Yorkers who were quite warm hearted, once you got past the defensive outer layer. Not all of them, of course-- but some I've known were really good people.

--R

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
How quaint... I moved to Rhodes last week.

Just finished my registration today.
Ya sas!!!

Last edited:

prs97

Reaction score
My wife and I both work in NYC and it's a grind.

From the minute I set foot in the train station, the pace is relentless. Everything is needed "ASAP" and "yesterday" and it sets the mood for the city to me. My wife always says "everyone is nice once you're out of NYC".

We both view it as a necessary evil at this point. Endure it for as long as possible, save enough money, and then get as far away from it once we're able.

From a tourist perspective, there is a lot to see and take in. From a living/working perspective, it's like running a gauntlet in my book.

Glad you had a good visit OP.

That might be it... the pace. :hmm:

What I noticed about NYC during my visits there was that people weren't actually so rude as they were brusque. They weren't distinctly unfriendly or insulting, though I noticed all are quite watchful of one another, even while trying to appear not to be. They had a tendency to seem as though they had one another clocked.

Their responses when spoken to on the street seemed to be quick and to the point, but one didn't usually develop a rapport with them. They often tended to seem preoccupied.

I noticed that they eased up some when you had a few drinks in a bar with them. But even at that, the watchful, almost wary mindset tended to persist.

I've also known native New Yorkers who were quite warm hearted, once you got past the defensive outer layer. Not all of them, of course-- but some I've known were really good people.

--R

Tone deaf

Reaction score
The MOMA and the Guggenheim, usually blow. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is definitely worth a couple of visits, too much art and variety to digest in a day. Their musical instrument exhibit and Arms & Armor are enough to fill a full afternoon and they are just the tip of the iceberg.

The transition of NYC from a giant crack alley in the late '80/early '90s to the very user-friendly and tourist-friendly city it became by the '00s is a story that really hasn't been well told. I used to step over crackheads (hopefully) sleeping (and really hoping he wasn't going to hop up and stab me, while I was stepping over him) in the vestibule of my apartment building (nice neighborhood). Today, almost all NYC neighborhoods are relatively safe, these days. I'll go out to Queens to find good international cuisine and leave late at night, in neighborhoods I never would have thought about tapping the brakes in.

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How quaint... I moved to Rhodes last week.

Just finished my registration today.
Ya sas!!!

Have they updated the sewage system yet? My only complaint about Rhodes....being told I couldn't flush the toilet paper down the toilet! :laugh2:

Love the Old Town.

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately I did come across some rude people...but I think it was because they probably get asked many times a day, directions etc.. I got the.. I don't know, no idea..kind of thing.Bus drivers bar one were assholes :laugh2: Probably because of all that traffic they have to fight to get through.
But you can get that in big busy cities. Where I stayed in NJ..they were very friendly to me and helpful, but some of them actually were from NY, but lived away from the City.

But I don't really class all residents of a City the same. With all the big Cities that I have spent some time in, NYC probably is the most fastest pace and overrun by tourists :laugh2:

I love the diversity there. I had lots of fun but I am still worn out :laugh2:

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I go to NYC regularly on business and usually enjoy it. I find the people roughly average on the friendly scale for the US of A.

I've never felt threatened in NY, but then I grew up in Boston, so dealing with weird and/or aggressive people doesn't faze me at all.

Anyway, glad you had a good time, if you ever come to Philadelphia, look me up.

My experience in Greece was Athens, Mykonos and Hydra, but would love to go back and check out Santorini.

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I go to NYC regularly on business and usually enjoy it. I find the people roughly average on the friendly scale for the US of A.

I've never felt threatened in NY, but then I grew up in Boston, so dealing with weird and/or aggressive people doesn't faze me at all.

Anyway, glad you had a good time, if you ever come to Philadelphia, look me up.

My experience in Greece was Athens, Mykonos and Hydra, but would love to go back and check out Santorini.
My son has not long come back from Athens and Santorini. He proposed to his girlfriend there (Santorini). He loved it and the pictures of the island are amazing. On my list too now.

Bluesky

Reaction score
Thats awesome. I'm glad you had a great time. ME? I grew up in NYC. Born in Queens lived my whole life in Staten Island until I was 32. Then I had a son and got the F out of dodge.
I rode the SI Ferry every day. Twice a day. I'd see tourists popping pictures ohhhhing and ahhhhhing over the same goddamned view I saw every day. I couldnt understand why people would go there for vacation. I wanted Sanibel Island and the Keys for Vacation. Not to mention CITY STATE AND FEDERAL taxes. I made 3 times the amount then I make now and I was always broke. No thanks.......But I admit.....Russian Tug job massages on every corner in NYC!:fingersx:

defcrew

Reaction score
Went to NYC this past Winter for the first time and really liked it. People were friendly in my estimation albeit busy. I'm from a small Southern college town. I honestly didn't see any real big difference in people's demeanor. My favorite spot was the 55 Bar in Greenwich Village. Killer jazz/funk group in a little hole in the wall. The museums are great. Smithsonian quality, for sure. Don't think I'd want to live there though. Just too many people in too small of a place.

Latest Threads