My first stab at going vintage, help on getting a 58 les paul junior

jwalker99

Reaction score
too expensive…. Great sounding pretty but played examples sell for about 7k.
Paying a premium makes sense when it’s a perfect rare guitar . LPJ are not rare . They are good players and fun but 1 trick pony’s .

60bassman

Reaction score
I remember buying juniors for $75.00 to 150.00 each. Yes they are nice guitars but 10 to 14k.... that's crazy. I think as people that had them when younger start to die off so will the value of those guitars. If I had to have a junior today I think I would play some of the Gibson custom shops. I have had them all including a 1953 goldtop lp standard that I paid 575.00 for. The best sounding lol I ever heard is my gibson Clapton Beano . I feel buying older instruments with the thought of an investment can be tricky. Buying one because you like it that much ok. Not all vintage guitars sound great. Play them first.

jwinger

Reaction score
I prefer something a bit more beat up myself but I've actually been to his place in person when in the USA. Stand up guy, honest and genuine

rhys1157

Reaction score
too expensive…. Great sounding pretty but played examples sell for about 7k.
Paying a premium makes sense when it’s a perfect rare guitar . LPJ are not rare . They are good players and fun but 1 trick pony’s .
Completely disagree. You can get so much out of these guitars. The volume and tone pots on these guitars is all you need. They’re killer in the right hands

landguitar

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
An almost mint guitar, amazing. Seems like a “full price”, as others have said, and if the plan is to play it much, I agree that it could get devalued easily. If I wanted one to play, I’d look for a nice player grade one. I’m not a single pickup guy, and I have not pursued one because I am afraid I’d love it and then not play my LP’s!
But, I did just watch this, which was interesting, even though I really feel like I need 2 pickups!

Good luck!

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think it's probably all the money, but try and find another in that condition.

Whether a guitar is a good investment, well that's another whole discussion.

Of course, this is coming from a guy that only buys 'players' cheaper.

PlainAllman

Reaction score
Perioman that was a beautiful Junior and the guy played marvelously on it. Makes me want one even more. I was looking at the prices on these vintage Jrs. a year or two ago and they definitely seem to be up since then. I was looking at DC jrs. and I remember seeing at least 3-4 of them on reverb and they were all in the sub $10k range and one was even under $8k. Of course those were not mint but they were all in very nice condition from what I could tell. There’s one on Reverb now asking $8500 and it has a headstock repair.

PlainAllman

Reaction score
Another option to get into a vintage guitar is an SG Jr. They seem to be priced a bit lower than the LP jrs. Although they’re not quite as “vintage” I guess.

rhys1157

Reaction score
I think they’re a great vintage guitar to get into to. I think people are getting too picky saying they’re not “rare”. I think this is purely in comparison to the burst I presume but with the Junior production numbers only around 2500 for the 58 I’d say they’re a great start. If you think how collectable say a 65’ mustang, and they numbered around 120k.
Not a great comparison I know but you get what I’m saying

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's something to think about, if you have 14K burning a hole in your pocket.

A while back I had the cash to buy a 50"s goldtop. I looked at several, and was kind of underwhelmed considering price vs what I would get. 50's frets stared out low, and an original well used model was close to unplayable unless re-fretted.

So I decided to diversify!

For less than the Goldtop money, I scored a beautiful '58 Les Paul Jr., A '66 ES 330, A '54 ES 125 that I bought from Luther Dickinson of the Black Crowes, and a '58 custom shop reissue ES 335. And had cash left over.

Moral of the story is: you can find a players grade LP Jr., and add in a 50's ES model, or a 60's SG or ES model, for around what you plan to spend.

You'll get more playable flexibility, and have more to hang on the wall.

So if you're a player, vs a connoisseur collector, you'll get more enjoyment going this route.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Good luck with whatever path you choose!

PS: If you do buy high priced vintage, take someone with you that knows vintage inside and out. Lots of scary stuff being done out there.

1970Deluxe

Reaction score
That price is way too high and should be considered a sucker price for those with more money than brains. I would negotiate a much lower price....somewhere around the Pre-Covid Bubble prices back in 2019....around $8,500 for pristine '58 Les Paul Juniors.

rhys1157

Reaction score
T
That price is way too high and should be considered a sucker price for those with more money than brains. I would negotiate a much lower price....somewhere around the Pre-Covid Bubble prices back in 2019....around $8,500 for pristine '58 Les Paul Juniors.
That’s not a bad idea in theory but unfortunately it’s “post” covid times and not 2019. I do agree the prices are absolutely crazy though.

1970Deluxe

Reaction score
T

That’s not a bad idea in theory but unfortunately it’s “post” covid times and not 2019. I do agree the prices are absolutely crazy though.

The 2020/2021 COVID "Bubble" with regard to vintage guitars will certainly burst, just as it did in 2008, leaving gullible Bubble buyers with expensive guitars that will have lost 25-50% of their value....and which they can't possibly re-sell without loosing big bucks. Learn from history unless you wish to repeat it.

Last edited:

rhys1157

Reaction score
The 2020/2021 COVID "Bubble" with regard to vintage gutters will certainly burst, just as it did in 2008, leaving gullible Bubble buyers with expensive guitars that will have lost 25-50% of their value....and which they can't possibly re-sell without loosing big bucks. Learn from history unless you wish to repeat it.
Also impossible to know circumstance too. Some people just wanna buy now and a few extra k isn’t an issue. I agree though. Prices are a little crazy and I’m happy I’m just looking to look at the moment haha

OBX351

Reaction score
FWIW, I have 2 vintage guitars that are 9 & 9.5+/10 and I don't play them. If you want to play that guitar don't take it out of the house to jam, don't wear a belt when you play it and ALWAYS keep it protected. For less money you should be able to find a mid/late 50s TV, a JR or a 60 DC Special that you can play out with and not worry as much about a nick or a ding when playing it. An SG Special or a LP/SG JR would save you money and they sound just as good. The necks aren't as rounded but you can still find ones that are bigger, usually they are '63s and '64s but SG necks can be all over the map size-wise. Good luck!

Latest Threads