My first R8 purchase, poss tomorrow... Advice, comments much appreciated

p90rules

Reaction score
So I'm finally taking the plunge and will potentially be buying this 2013 R8 tomorrow... Pretty local so that helps ... As a newcomer to the world of expensive les pauls, I'd really appreciate any comments or words of wisdom from you guys..
I'm throwing in my 2004 335 plus £1000 for this R8....its pretty much mint and has been a house guitar.... What leaflets and case candy should there be present also is 2013 a good period.... I read so much confusing info on these .... So any help for an R virgin would be immensely appreciated... Cheers guys ..
Screenshot_20190113-222622.jpg
Screenshot_20190113-222538.jpg
Screenshot_20190113-194103.jpg
Screenshot_20190113-194052.jpg
Screenshot_20190113-194014.jpg

Chakalawaka

Reaction score
Looks good mate! I had the occasion to try a similar guitar down in GAK Brighton last weekend, and they're to die for.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
There should be a black or brown certificate of authenticity with it. Obviously, the serial number should match the number on the back of the head stock. There should also be a Gibson warranty pamphlet, and most of the time, a spare control cover that doesn't have the "Gibson Custom" label on it....just a plain black plastic cover.

Here in the U.S., that would sell for around $3,000, give or take a few hundred either way.

Other than that, looks like a mighty fine axe! Congrats, and post some pictures when you get her!!!

johnreardon

Reaction score
Hi

first thing to take on is forget this nonsense about 'good' and 'bad' years. You can get 'good' and 'bad' guitars from any period so best thing to do is see how they play and sound in your arms.

Of the so called case candy, the really important thing is the COA, as unfortunately it's relatively easy to pass off a Standard as a reissue.

Not sure what 335 you have and the condition but a £1000 plus your guitar may be slightly high for a used R8. Depends if you are prepared to do it. I paid £2599 for a new 2009 R8, early in 2010. There are similar used R8s going on Reverb for around £2.5k so that's what I would expect to get. I would check how much your model 335 is going for and then see if £1000 is right or not.

Good luck R8s are great guitars

p90rules

Reaction score
My 335 owes me £1400 so with my £1000 that would add up to 2400 which seemed about right to me, looking at current used prices In the UK. . Plus I'm just not using the 335 as much as I would a LP

guitarded_82

Reaction score
If you like the guitar, you can't go wrong.

These guitars are so expensive, they should be exactly what you want. If it's not, at that price, you will find something else soon enough.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
She looks lovely!

There are good and bad guitars that get made no matter what year is in question. Generally speaking, the consensus around here is that 2013 was a good year. Having typed that, if you play it and like it, then it doesn't matter.

Here's what you can expect in terms of case candy (my '13 R9):

DBihVnM.jpg

Good luck, congrats, HNGD :jam: and play her in good health!

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
She looks lovely!

There are good and bad guitars that get made no matter what year is in question. Generally speaking, the consensus around here is that 2013 was a good year. Having typed that, if you play it and like it, then it doesn't matter.

Here's what you can expect in terms of case candy (my '13 R9):

DBihVnM.jpg

Good luck, congrats, HNGD :jam: and play her in good health!

I thought so from 2013 until now they’re wonderful. I have two from 2016 that are the best in the collection for tone and play. Beauty there by the way! Very nice top!

Last edited:

Frozen Rat

Reaction score
I've played a lot of RIs and those from 2013 forward seem to have a bit of something extra about them. I think you are going to be very happy. There's not much more to know. There's a lot of hangtags that come with those guitars and a COA. Someone posted a picture further up and it looks fairly complete to me based on what mine came with.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I'd give that 335 plus a thousand (whatever currency) for an R8. I'm not too keen on that particular Les Paul but I'm just basing that on a picture.

modavis99

Reaction score
FWIW, 2013 is the first year that the truss rod is not encased in a plastic sheath and the glue used is hide glue (to join neck to body I think). There is debate about whether this or anything for that matter affects tone, but these changes were widely viewed as positive since they brought the RIs a step closer to the originals.

My guess is you will be very happy with this guitar. RI les Pauls are just great

BSeneca

Reaction score
I have had three 13’s. Two cherry’s and a lemon. I moved two to finance my 52 Goldtop. But recently purchased a used R8. All three are exceptional. I have had an 02, 04, 05, 06, and an 09. All were better than any USA model head and shoulders. The 09 was really special but the 13’s just had something different. I know it was a transitional year but the things that changed shouldn’t have effected tone or playability. I think after the 12 year issues they started paying attention a little more I guess. You will love it. Enjoy, Brian

guitarded_82

Reaction score
I have had three 13’s. Two cherry’s and a lemon. I moved two to finance my 52 Goldtop. But recently purchased a used R8. All three are exceptional. I have had an 02, 04, 05, 06, and an 09. All were better than any USA model head and shoulders. The 09 was really special but the 13’s just had something different. I know it was a transitional year but the things that changed shouldn’t have effected tone or playability. I think after the 12 year issues they started paying attention a little more I guess. You will love it. Enjoy, Brian

I think it's the truss-rod sleeve removal in 2013.

I did some experiments on my acoustic builds and the results were more drastic than I had thought they'd be. PIIIING!

Latest Threads