my first lp

agustin barrios

Reaction score
hi all,

bought a les paul classic three days ago (cherry red, nickel hardware). My first ever gibson les paul.

As you can imagine, i haven't stopped playing her since i brought her home.

Apart from the difference in pick ups and the difference in woods (can anyone explain this in more detail) and the thinner neck profile, how does this model differ from the standard>

When was the Classic introduced ? Do these guitars have as much kudos as the standard amongst Les Paul players ? From what i can ascertain, lots of players rate the classic.

Do they retain their value over a period of 10 yrs or so ?

This guitar has almost telecaster like tone, warm thick jazz tones yet can growl and moan. Im very, very suprised at the versatility of this guitar. 10/10, wonderful musical instrument. I have noticed that on the back of the body, the finish is slightly cracked (a line of about an inch) yet i've grown too close to my "rocky" to change it.

Let me know yr experiences of the classic, and yr opinions of this phenomenon

a barrios (btw: live in SE England)

GeeJay

Reaction score
Congrats on your new Lester and :wave: welcome to the forum..

The spec on Classics (and Standards) vary quite a bit depending on when it was made, but they are/can be great guitars. Enjoy it all you can.

:cheers:

3Steps

Reaction score
The Classic model has been around since 1990. It has undergone a few changes over the years. This may not be a complete list but here goes. :)

All have:
Rosewood fretboards mounted to a slim taper (skinny) neck, single-ply binding on both the body and neck with a non-bound headstock. Nickel hardware includes Kluson single ring tuners and an ABR-1 bridge. Cream plastic, amber bonnet knobs, and a yellow switch tip round out the look.

Most have:
Mahogany bodies with a carved maple top cap but Gibson does make a solid mahogany / mahogany version as well.

A few changes to note:
Early versions had 57 PAF RI Pickups (often with covers), pearloid fretboard markers and through 93 the headstock read Les Paul Model. That changed sometime in 94 to read Les Paul Classic.
Later versions also have 496R & 500T High Output Ceramic Humbuckers with double black uncovered pickups. "Aged" fretboard marker inlays were added sometime in '96 I think.

*Tone wise I have found that the HO Ceramics pickups offer extreme clarity and tons of growl, yet with the ability to back off of tone knobs to achieve that woody-muddiness that is required for just about any type of music as well.

Enjoy your new Paul and beware of the GAS they can bring on!

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase of the Classic. I know just how you feel about it.
I have one I purchased in 2000. Even though it has a few dings (a tech marked the top when putting in new tone controls!) I really have come
to appreciate this guitar.

I also wonder just how will these Classics hold their value as they age. I
installed Seymour Duncan '59s in it three years ago, so I'm wondering what
that change will due to the future desireability of this guitar. I still have
the original ceramic pickups, should I need them for a future buyer. Right
now I'm not about to sell it. It has grown on me after seven years. It was my
first Lester.

Classicplayer

GuitarGal

Reaction score
hi all,

bought a les paul classic three days ago (cherry red, nickel hardware). My first ever gibson les paul.

As you can imagine, i haven't stopped playing her since i brought her home.

Apart from the difference in pick ups and the difference in woods (can anyone explain this in more detail) and the thinner neck profile, how does this model differ from the standard>

When was the Classic introduced ? Do these guitars have as much kudos as the standard amongst Les Paul players ? From what i can ascertain, lots of players rate the classic.

Do they retain their value over a period of 10 yrs or so ?

This guitar has almost telecaster like tone, warm thick jazz tones yet can growl and moan. Im very, very suprised at the versatility of this guitar. 10/10, wonderful musical instrument. I have noticed that on the back of the body, the finish is slightly cracked (a line of about an inch) yet i've grown too close to my "rocky" to change it.

Let me know yr experiences of the classic, and yr opinions of this phenomenon

a barrios (btw: live in SE England)
:wave: agustin barrios~

Welcome here~ :rock:

GuitarGal

Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase of the Classic. I know just how you feel about it.
I have one I purchased in 2000. Even though it has a few dings (a tech marked the top when putting in new tone controls!) I really have come
to appreciate this guitar.

I also wonder just how will these Classics hold their value as they age. I
installed Seymour Duncan '59s in it three years ago, so I'm wondering what
that change will due to the future desireability of this guitar. I still have
the original ceramic pickups, should I need them for a future buyer. Right
now I'm not about to sell it. It has grown on me after seven years. It was my
first Lester.

Classicplayer
:wave: Classicplayer~

Welcome here~ :rock:

meximetal

Reaction score
Hey Agustin! I just picked up my first Gibson today! It's a Classic, like yours! :]

Latest Threads