My first Les Paul

skamal

Reaction score
Greetings everybody,
as it always suggested i went to a guitar store to try before i buy.
I am looking for a Les Paul guitar, being inspired from Adam Jones (Tool). I am an intermediate player with a classic vibes 50's and an ibanez s-series (strat oriented).
I was oriented towards the epiphone standard pro/tribute plus series. The STD pro was the biggest disappointment when i felt it. The glossy neck, the low quality fingerboard made it so hard to move across the neck. Tribute plus was not there. I was pleasantly surprised by the Epi custom pro. Although it had a glossy neck the eboony (?) fingerboard was very smooth.

Then i switched to the Gibson side where i played the tribute, studio and classic. Classic was too expensive so it's out the picture, but the tribute felt better than the studio. Satin finish, quite faintly coloured fingerboard but it had a nice round neck.
But, i also played a Classic series 60's strat and the American professional series (?). They felt very familiar due to my current gear.
After this huge post, my question is, am i going to find differences between the EPI's? A standard goldtop felt nice, better than the std. Pro, but not great. Is the Tribute plus in another league?
And then, maybe is it worth it to get the stripped down tribute USA with no bells and whistles?

Thank you in advance and sorry for this Goliath of a post

StudioFan

Reaction score
You didn’t say if used was an option .

If you do go used then you may find a lot more Gibson’s are well within your price limit .

I prefer the older studios but all the Gibson’s I have played have something going for them . And all of them are different so try and play a few of the same model .

skamal

Reaction score
Yes used is definitely an option, maybe even the primary one. Aesthetically, the studios are not really appealing to me, i might skip this line.

I forgot to ask, how do the Japanese LP's fit to the discussion? I can't try those, so i would have to order? Is it worth the risk? Looking especially for Tokais

KS 5150

Reaction score
I think the Japanese Lp's are very good, but you will take a hit on resale if you need to sell down the road. As mentioned above, I would look for a used Gibson in your area, or give our Classifieds a try..always some good deals there :thumb:

LocoTex

Reaction score
First off...Welcome to MLP! Now, you can find a good Epi LP, but be prepared to reject a few. They are good quality guitars, but you'll probably find a greater number of duds than with a Gibson. If you find that good Epi that feels right get a good setup and you are there. You may have to pay some large fees if you order from Japan. The CITES act may cause that, but I'm not real familiar with it.

But if money is not a barrier go Gibson.

skamal

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies! Money is definitely a thing to consider, that's why i was looking at epi's first. It seems i really cannot order an epiphone online. I will have t Cherry pick one (custom was fine tbh). Are the Japanese brands consistent with their products? Also, to the owners, how does the feel compare to a gibson? Sound i think is secondary since one can really tweak it.

skamal

Reaction score
Yes indeed, all the Epi's i tried felt very dull and generic except for the Custom Pro. Even glossy Gibson felt better than glossy Epi. The latter was almost sticky..(?)

I wasn't surprise with the overall quality, especially considering what you get on the Fender side with the same $.

I started with a max. limit of 400 for the Epi's, but if i don't find the one, i will step up to 750 for Gibson or Japanese LP (Greco, Tokai, Orville, FGN).

My mindset is to try everything in the stores and then get something from the local Classifieds (Berlin).

skamal

Reaction score
I did find a 2010 Epiphone Traditional in the orange-cherry burst. Asking price is 650.

I do not know if the instrument s worth it, but it sounds like a lot for an epi, price is almost equivalent to a used Gibson.

skamal

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, i wasn't aware of these shops.

I have visited Just Music in Berlin. I have doing some reading and i found the FGN LS20 to be such a great value ( not cheap, that's for sure but i could wait for it).

A used Greco from 1980 is also available but the frets are something to consider with such an old instrument.

Budget option is the Chinese Tokai Love Rock ALS 55

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d always say get a new classic but I’m a classic devotee....
If u can’t afford it, wait until u can or do a 12 month 0% deal....just my opinion

studios are whacky good though...498/490 is a timeless combo
But I prefer 57/57+ classic or my favorite early 2000s ceramic 496/500....and u can find early 2000 classics for great deals

Imho epiphones are fine but not on the same planet as a gibson

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Have you considered an Epi Elitist? They are FINE LPs. Not a bad one in the bunch.

skamal

Reaction score
Have you considered an Epi Elitist? They are FINE LPs. Not a bad one in the bunch.

No, can't say that i have really. I think i will go with a LP. Always wanted one, but never actually got one.

I’d always say get a new classic but I’m a classic devotee....
If u can’t afford it, wait until u can or do a 12 month 0% deal....just my opinion

I actually tried a classic and a traditional at the store (unplugged), i felt the rise in quality, but I wasn't blown away. For the asking price i don't know if they are really worth it.

The value is something i think about a lot, since I don't want to go crazy with the budget, hence my current orientation towards used Studios or MIJ's.

Any comments about the Gibson Tribute lineup? They can't be that bad.

Last edited:

TheWilly17

Reaction score
Yes used is definitely an option, maybe even the primary one. Aesthetically, the studios are not really appealing to me, i might skip this line.

I forgot to ask, how do the Japanese LP's fit to the discussion? I can't try those, so i would have to order? Is it worth the risk? Looking especially for Tokais
Far superior to what The G puts out when you you compare price points. The best bang for your buck would be something from the Greco Mint Collection. Go over to the "Other Single Cut" section and ask questions. Alot of reputable sellers there with some fantastic deals.

KS 5150

Reaction score
No, can't say that i have really. I think i will go with a LP. Always wanted one, but never actually got one.

I actually tried a classic and a traditional at the store (unplugged), i felt the rise in quality, but I wasn't blown away. For the asking price i don't know if they are really worth it.

The value is something i think about a lot, since I don't want to go crazy with the budget, hence my current orientation towards used Studios or MIJ's.

Any comments about the Gibson Tribute lineup? They can't be that bad.

They're pretty good. Might need a little TLC for the frets. They do have a very light satin finish, so it could wear faster if you play hard. Good value for the money. Check out 'Guitarist's review of the new lineup for a lot more information...good luck!

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Epihone Elite/Elitists were made under contract to Gibson at the Fujigen plant in Osaka. They are legendarily high quality.
Look em up, you'll see what I mean. I've had two, and the build quality is peerless.

Mr Hockey

Reaction score
I would get the Les Paul tribute guitar. I own one and I think that it"s a great guitar!

Latest Threads