My first issue with any of my Historic Custom Shop LPs.

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
i bought my R0 back in 2011, the year it was made. it is the longest I've had any Gibson ever. I noticed a buzzing on the 6th string around the 13th fret and figured it was time for a truss rod adjustment. Usually I've brought my guitars to my buddy's shop and had them tweaked there. This year, due to COVID, I have not visited him once.

I figured it was time to do my own adjustment of the truss rod. I've done this on numerous Fender/Squier/partsocasters builds. After finding out I had no Gibson truss rod tool handy, a trip to Ace Hardware got me a 5/16th nut driver that did the trick. I brought the relief from over 13 thou to 10 thous. However I was still getting a little bit of buzz from the 13th fret on from the 6th string.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed the bass side bridge post seems to be leaning towards the stop tailpiece.

Compare this to my 2019

I may have some Pigtail parts that I can swap in, but in the event I do not, what would you suggest I use?

ARandall

Reaction score
Well, the issue you were having with the 13th was most likely a little bit of specific high fret action that needed checking with a rocker and perhaps filing, and not something that a TR adjustment was the right fix for anyway.

But the abr will need to be checked to see just what is the issue leading to the lean.....the post still looks fairly vertical but the pic is at an angle that can be deceptive.

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
I don't think it's a high fret issue, I think it's a contact with the leading edge of the bridge issue. Look at how close that string is to the front edge of the bridge on the ebony R0. By the time you are pressing on the 13th fret, it is probably hitting the bridge, not the 14th fret. Not saying it couldn't be a combination of the two but I definite think the leaning bass side bridge post is a problem.

ARandall

Reaction score
The travel of the string right next to an anchor is minimal. I've just this minute replicated fretting the 13th and the travel on the limit of the bridge is too small for my eye to perceive. And this is middle of string where the depression is greatest. So if it was the bridge, it would be buzzing on every note you played

The luthiers corner is a good place to put this type of question. People who build guitars from scratch (like me) and repair professionally are major contributors there. You can get a lot of very expert opinions there in addition to mine. And they will steer you in the right path

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Sometimes when you put the bridge on it just doesn't sit right and looks tilted, happened to me before but towards the fretboard, try loosening the strings enough (or replace them) that the bridge can wiggle around and see if you can reposition it.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I don't think your bridge posts are leaning, your second pic is crooked, but there seems to be enough space there for a second set of thumbwheels if you want. I doubled them up on all my guitars that have enough space but for aesthetic reasons.

PJSD

Reaction score
I purchased a 2011 R0 Murphy Aged, very nice guitar, last year. Original bridge causing buzz b/c of tilt. Then swapped with another bridge from another guitar at the store, a buzz on the B string (it seems), that wouldn't go away. Not an action issue, it was the bridge. I then purchased a Gibson OEM historic spec ABR1 bridge, and had it swapped by a professional luthier (not me), the buzz went away and plays like a dream. I like my action low as possible, and play 9-42 strings.

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This lean is a very common problem with any Post type Gibson bridges. One thing you can do for added support, is add another thumb wheel on either side. The bridge lean is probably not causing this buzz issue. Refer to the post by ARandall.

If I see the lean and I cant sus it out, just grab some channel lock and a screwdriver....Gank it over once ....watch the finish....

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes when you put the bridge on it just doesn't sit right and looks tilted, happened to me before but towards the fretboard, try loosening the strings enough (or replace them) that the bridge can wiggle around and see if you can reposition it.

Do this before grabing a hammer....

JMB1984

Reaction score
Do you guys have a source/part number for the specific thumbwheel you are doubling up with? Does it match the one Gibson uses?

3ChordMerchant

Reaction score
I don't think it's a high fret issue, I think it's a contact with the leading edge of the bridge issue. Look at how close that string is to the front edge of the bridge on the ebony R0. By the time you are pressing on the 13th fret, it is probably hitting the bridge, not the 14th fret. Not saying it couldn't be a combination of the two but I definite think the leaning bass side bridge post is a problem.
Think I have to agree here with DDBK as a beginning point. Easy to rule out a fret issue with a 3” straight edge ( fret “kisser). Fret the 13th and determine if the contact is on the rest of the frets ..but from appearances , the 6th is in contact with the bridge on the p/u side and probably on the stop bar side as well. Loosen all strings straighten the truss rod, raise the bar , straighten the bridge and rewind starting with 6th then 1st , 2nd, 5th , 3rd and 4th to hold bridge in place..( assuming no functional probs with the posts!). Adjust truss rod.

boola1

Reaction score
Do you guys have a source/part number for the specific thumbwheel you are doubling up with? Does it match the one Gibson uses?
Bear in mind that double thumbwheels kill some of the top end chime.

Latest Threads