My first homemade Les Paul, what do you think?

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've posted this around the web but somehow I forgot about this site! (Sorry...)

Note: Sorry about the pictures. I resized them but it might take a while for them to change.

Well I'll start off by saying yes, I'm only 16. I made this as a project in my woodshop class as a 'scrap' wood project. Well, of course I had to buy the wood, but he didn't know...

Anyways, this was originally going to be easy. I wanted a nice Goldtop, something like Slash's model. I got my hands on some maple, as I couldn't get any mahogany. I laminated 4 strips of 2" thick maple, cut it out with a bandsaw and routered the cavities by hand. I put on binding after making a groove on the egde.

The maple top was then put on, a 1/2" thick laminated piece. I did the arched top, which I'm really not too satisfied with. I'm thinking of trying to fix it.

Next, the neck was mahogany, which was actually scrap wood. I laminated the top for the headstock, did the truss rod cavity and cut it out. I shaped it and sanded it smooth after cutting out the shape for the headstock.

I glued it in and started working on the fretboard. It was scrap walnut which was planed down to 1/4" and rounded. The inlays were some cheap polyurethane ones I found on eBay. The holes for them were cut out with a chisel and glued in. After the binding and frets were installed, I glued it on.

Finally, I originally painted it gold on the front and black on the back. I liked it at first, but I wanted something a little more authentic. So, with only a few days left, I stripped the black and stained it brown. I'm glad I did.

So, here's the pictures of my adventure!

SANY0157.jpg

SANY0165.jpg

SANY0214.jpg

SANY0254.jpg

SANY0259.jpg

SANY0745.jpg

SANY0746.jpg

I still have to fix the shape, redo the finish, fix some chips, and do the headstock logo. It will say 'Grail' (my last name) in a special design.

Tell me what you guys think! Hopefully when I'm older, I'll make some more!

theruns

Reaction score
pretty good looking! so if i understood correctly the whole body is maple?

mobprop667

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
looks pretty damn good to me. i couldnt do that if you held a gun to my head.

Reaction score
Haha, thanks dude! Well the truth is most of it was trial and error. I had a good bit of knowledge, but I had no idea what the hell I was getting myself into.

Shotgun

Reaction score
You sir, have the best last name in the history of last names.
Perfectly suits your goldtop there. Nice work :thumb:

-Shotgun

Strikerfox

Reaction score
Question is, how does she play??? looks great kid, keep it up!

Reaction score
You sir, have the best last name in the history of last names.
Perfectly suits your goldtop there. Nice work :thumb:

-Shotgun

Haha, thanks!

Question is, how does she play??? looks great kid, keep it up!

Well, not so good right now. The fretboard is pretty rough because I didn't sand it down, I still have to do the frets. And just to my luck, a day before I brought it in a roller off of the bridge fell off (the low E string). That meant I had to raise all of the other strings so I could have the lowest one. They were pretty much raised way too high to play properly. I ordered a new one but haven't touched it yet. I have yet so see if all of this work really paid off.

Latest Threads