My First Headstock Break!

Dougj

Reaction score
I'm soooo sorry to see this I feel your pain give it to a good luthier or even a new neck, let us know what you decide to do

MSB

Reaction score
If you do keep it, by all means, please, please, put a stinger on it.

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
If you do keep it, by all means, please, please, put a stinger on it.
Not a bad idea. I did talk to a person at a very reputable shop and they said that Gibsons break all the time and that they charge $100 but that finish repair is extra. I plan to bring it in this Saturday and see what my options are.

MSB

Reaction score
Not a bad idea. I did talk to a person at a very reputable shop and they said that Gibsons break all the time and that they charge $100 but that finish repair is extra. I plan to bring it in this Saturday and see what my options are.
Like i said before, if you're going to sell it, sell it as is.

that said, That's a heck of a nice guitar and with a proper repair (and I'd pony up for the proper refinish) it'll be better than new. You're going to lose $ either way, its just a matter of how you view it.

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
Like i said before, if you're going to sell it, sell it as is.

that said, That's a heck of a nice guitar and with a proper repair (and I'd pony up for the proper refinish) it'll be better than new. You're going to lose $ either way, its just a matter of how you view it.
Exactly.

BPW666

Reaction score
Structurally that's an easy repair. Titebond original injected into the crack and clamped. As already mentioned matching the colour is the difficult part, but as it's am opaque colour a skilled repair should be unnoticeable both visually and sonically. You just need to find the right repair guy.

Good luck
Ben

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
$100...that's more like it.

moreles

Reaction score
You doubtless know the rule of thumb is that the selling price gets cut in half even with a well-repaired break. Most of us here don't find any detriment in a well-repaired break, but the market is the market... Most of us love finding a guitar with a clean break because we expect to pay half. Maybe you'll get lucky, but that seems to be the way it goes. Sorry.

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
You doubtless know the rule of thumb is that the selling price gets cut in half even with a well-repaired break. Most of us here don't find any detriment in a well-repaired break, but the market is the market... Most of us love finding a guitar with a clean break because we expect to pay half. Maybe you'll get lucky, but that seems to be the way it goes. Sorry.
No doubt...

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
BTW...I never saw an all gold 335.
Badass!
Would you mind saying why you didn't bond wit it, but feel that there are things you could change to make it a player?
I would think that such an instrument would need no more than a setup to be damn near perfect.

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
BTW...I never saw an all gold 335.
Badass!
Would you mind saying why you didn't bond wit it, but feel that there are things you could change to make it a player?
I would think that such an instrument would need no more than a setup to be damn near perfect.
Plays and sounds great and I bought it because it was all gold and the price was lower than any other new or used 335 I was seeing online. Don’t like Grovers, too much mass, they probably contributed to the break as well. The 57 pups sound great but I like the idea of custom buckers more, an emotional rather than logical response. Would have liked an ABR1 rather than Nashville, nickel rather than chrome (don’t ask). And the weight was close to 8 1/2 pounds and I would’ve liked it a little lighter. It was my first 335 and I really liked it despite the shortcomings. 335’s sound good at home to my ear but are a little dark when played with a band. I’m thinking that I might get it glued and have Klusons put on and some 59 Tributes put in. I really like those pups. I might turn it into a beater and stop worrying about it, just play it.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
and how dusty do they get? I'm 100% so far in cases, and they don't get dusty, but it DOES take me an extra few seconds to put my hands on it, which i'm ok with.
It's a tough slog, but somehow I manage.

Reactions: MSB

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
quite frankly, i would too, but my "fortune," i'd end up with a bunch of Gibsons with broken necks.
Interesting that the thread is about a guitar that might have been safer on a hanger. I hope I didn't jinx you. :)