My first Gibson LP - 2014 Traditional Ocean Blue.

Deek

Reaction score
Congrats @Deek, that’s one purdy LP. Glad you finally made it into the Les Paul family! :thumb:

There really is nothing like a Gibson Les Paul,....:cool2:

So tell us, what do you play that gorgeous LP through?
I have a pedal board with an AB and can go either to my Mac with guitar amp models or my 1978 Princeton Reverb that blows away any amp model. I just play and record at home.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Here is my new (to me) 2014 Les Paul Traditional. I have had many Fenders, various Ibanez guitars, one Epiphone Les Paul and more, but for some dumb reason, never a Les Paul. I love this guitar. I thought I liked my Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (that I picked out from at least 10), but this is a whole new world. Feel, action, sound, responsiveness… it is all so different. However, I still like my Epiphone and the shorter scale was what led me to look for a LP. I'm actually not enjoying playing my Fenders anymore. It is so hard to describe this stuff, but this LP (and I assume others) has a pretty distinct tone “personality” just like any of my better Fenders, but different. Maybe I am just stupid, but I kind of always assumed Les Pauls were kid of neutral in sound. Whatever it is, almost but not quite quack, but different than Fender “quack”, I really like it. Maybe "chime" or "ring"??? Whatever it is, clean it is awesome. Driven or distorted is endless fun with all kinds of sounds. The biggest surprise? Funk. Yes, my Les Paul is a pretty awesome funk machine. I always thought this was pure Fender territory, but not here. Beyond my inability describe how it sounds, the FEEL is mind blowing. It makes me play better, perhaps better than I am? Sorry, I have nobody to talk to about this. PS I always had a thing for blue guitars.View attachment 383861
Yeah I got my first one this year and yeah my Epi is a nice guitar but a Gibson is something else. Im getting my Strats set up ANDrepaired down at my local shop [where i bought my Gibson] so its renewed my interest .iIs ok to play your new toy youll get back to the others, in fact my us Fender and my Gibson are right beside each other on a nice soft chairstool in front of the tv. I pick them up and have fun while watching tv. Ill take a pic when i get a better camera other than this laptop- good computer-lousy camera.nice LP :slap: by the way.

thxphotog

Reaction score
My Les Paul's make me enjoy my Tele's & Strat's more, and visa-versa. It's such tremendous fun switching back & forth enjoying/comparing everything that is so different with regard to tone, feel and output.

Congrats on your new blue baby!

Last edited:

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Fenders are great sound but I feel like I’m shaking hands with a kitten when playing...

Les Pauls feel amazing and unlike anything else.
So glad u got one...and, wow, what a looker...

Love it
Happy first Lester day!

-Chris

boola1

Reaction score
I’m sure I will love my Fenders again, but this honeymoon will last a while I think!
Congrats. I think you made a good choice for your first Les Paul. I also recently bought a 2014 traditional. Being non-weight relieved, having that proper baseball bat neck and the 59 humbuckers makes them a vintage year IMHO.

I experienced the same feel with mine. I can only attribute it to the fat neck, my fingers seemed to whizz around the neck just a little bit faster. I have a 90s Les Paul with the more common "50s" profile and a Flying V with a 60s. Both have similar action but the 2014 Traditional just seems faster somehow.

How much does yours weigh? Mine is dead on 4kg.

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar & love the story of your guitar journey. Entering my late 20s last year I found a sudden fascination with jazz & blues & went from Robert Smith & a Jazzmaster to wanting a Paul Kossoff burst & a Marshall half stack haha! Dove deep into the history of the Les Paul & discovered some great music along the way, including by Les himself!

Deek

Reaction score
You are smarter at 20 than I was! :) You raise an interesting point. While we can be obsessed with gear, connecting gear to various musicians and learning about them is much more interesting than pure gear lust alone. I have bounced around from almost every style of music you can imagine. Folk and rock when I was 14 first learning guitar, then got way into jazz, then funk and R&B, then went total luddite with banjoes, dobros and mandolin, then back to it all. Add modular synthesis, my latest obsession, and it has been a bit crazy. I tell you one thing, as someone who started playing in the 1970s, this is a great time to be into music. From guitars to the most electronic stuff you can imagine and everything in between, there is so much cool stuff being made AND at every price. When I was a kid a cheap guitar was really cheap and hard to play. Don;t get me started on how easy it is to learn licks and songs online now. I would have KILLED for this when I was younger.

endial

Reaction score
Man, I was just telling a friend in an email about how I loathe blue Les Pauls with flame tops. Don't EVEN get me started on Blueberry Bursts. Then you show this dang thing and all I wanna do is write him back with that pic of your guitar and
say: "...Except THIS one." "This one is blue done RIGHT."

Gorgeous guitar, man! Play it like you stole it from a rich kid.