My first Gibson LP - 2014 Traditional Ocean Blue.

Deek

Reaction score
Here is my new (to me) 2014 Les Paul Traditional. I have had many Fenders, various Ibanez guitars, one Epiphone Les Paul and more, but for some dumb reason, never a Les Paul. I love this guitar. I thought I liked my Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (that I picked out from at least 10), but this is a whole new world. Feel, action, sound, responsiveness… it is all so different. However, I still like my Epiphone and the shorter scale was what led me to look for a LP. I'm actually not enjoying playing my Fenders anymore. It is so hard to describe this stuff, but this LP (and I assume others) has a pretty distinct tone “personality” just like any of my better Fenders, but different. Maybe I am just stupid, but I kind of always assumed Les Pauls were kid of neutral in sound. Whatever it is, almost but not quite quack, but different than Fender “quack”, I really like it. Maybe "chime" or "ring"??? Whatever it is, clean it is awesome. Driven or distorted is endless fun with all kinds of sounds. The biggest surprise? Funk. Yes, my Les Paul is a pretty awesome funk machine. I always thought this was pure Fender territory, but not here. Beyond my inability describe how it sounds, the FEEL is mind blowing. It makes me play better, perhaps better than I am? Sorry, I have nobody to talk to about this. PS I always had a thing for blue guitars.

edselman

Reaction score
That is one beautiful Lester! I agree with your assessment. I kept one Custom Shop Strat but it doesn’t leave it’s case much.

Deek

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I honestly feel like a moron. First, I am old. My gigging days are far behind me and I always played for fun. Despite all this and playing since 1974, it was only a few years ago that I discovered Telecasters were way cooler (to me) than Strats, and much more versatile. Now a few years later and I discover the Les Paul. Like I said I had various Les Pul type guitars (Ibanez Artist EQ for example), but never the real thing. I almost feel like I wasted my whole guitar playing life now that I have one. To top off my stupidity I did play a brand new cherry sunburst LP in 1975 and thought it was the most amazing guitar ever. Then I had a teacher let me play his 1962 or something Lake Placid Blue Strat and that was equally amazing. For some reason I went the strat route for many years... Oh well.

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
You nailed the LP, @Deek

...and you’re also right that blue ones are the best. Gibson was just testing out all those other “classic” colors to see if the model would stick before they put it in blue.

Jer

Reaction score
Deek!! Congrats on a very fine LP! I have a 2014 trad in Manhattan midnight blue and I love it. Here is a little tid-bit of info; I always loved the tone, it was a pure rock machine. The 59 tribute humbuckers in it are the best I’ve played from Gibson. They beat out Custom-buckers. So I decided to upgrade the harness with a Creamtone high-end one with real PIO sprague bumblebees. That one change alone turned this guitar’s tone into pure PAF tone. I was shocked. I didn’t change the pups out cuz I liked what I was hearing for a more rock/modern tone but with the new harness those 59 tribute pups have become so vintage PAF sounding and feeling it’s rediculous! Love it!
So if you are ever wanting to go that route put in a decent harness and wire it 50’s style and get ready to fall in love!
Ok rant over lol, awesome guitar Deek, I hope it brings you endless joy and creativity.

Jer

Deek

Reaction score
Deek!! Congrats on a very fine LP! I have a 2014 trad in Manhattan midnight blue and I love it. Here is a little tid-bit of info; I always loved the tone, it was a pure rock machine. The 59 tribute humbuckers in it are the best I’ve played from Gibson. They beat out Custom-buckers. So I decided to upgrade the harness with a Creamtone high-end one with real PIO sprague bumblebees. That one change alone turned this guitar’s tone into pure PAF tone. I was shocked. I didn’t change the pups out cuz I liked what I was hearing for a more rock/modern tone but with the new harness those 59 tribute pups have become so vintage PAF sounding and feeling it’s rediculous! Love it!
So if you are ever wanting to go that route put in a decent harness and wire it 50’s style and get ready to fall in love!
Ok rant over lol, awesome guitar Deek, I hope it brings you endless joy and creativity.

Jer
Hmmm. Thanks! Something to think about for sure. Was it this one? https://www.creamtone.com/collectio...-historic-gibson-truvintage-exact-replica-pio

Deek

Reaction score
I have a 2014 as well. You picked a good one. Enjoy in good health.
Thanks. I did a lot research and lurked all over this forum. I’m very happy and for me this was the right guitar. Still it is a jungle out there and there are so many models and years. It was a bit overwhelming at first!

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have those Creamtone harnesses in two of my SGs. They are very nice ones if you upgrade (and I would). Although mine is one of two guitars I haven't gotten to the harness yet on. Before summer is over they will all be done though.

scozz

Reaction score
Congrats @Deek, that’s one purdy LP. Glad you finally made it into the Les Paul family! :thumb:

There really is nothing like a Gibson Les Paul,....:cool2:

So tell us, what do you play that gorgeous LP through?

Jer

Reaction score
Deek that’s close to the one I got but they have one with “drifted sprague bees”. That means they are caps that have drifted in spec over the years and now they are at the correct capacitance. This one is cheaper than the one you posted only because of the caps but they sound identical. Either or, you can’t go wrong. Those ‘59’s are THE most underrated pups that Gibson offered. They were only offered for a couple years.... like 2014-2015 on the Traditional model. Any question you have you know where to reach me bud :)

Latest Threads