my first DIY mod (or - spaz with a soldering iron)

Liquid State

Reaction score
hi,

just completed my first "do it yourself" guitar mod this evening... and after plugging in, surprisingly it did not burst into flames!!

I have an '04 Epi LP Std, ebony. I had a nice pair on Fralin pups installed when I had a set-up done on the gtr last year. After reading many posts about Epi electronics upgrades I have been curious if the other components were holding back the upgraded pickups. I dug into my homework about caps (myths, truths, voltage, rating, historic, new, paper/oil, polyester, etc, etc...) . This site is extraodinary - a guy can dive into a topic and never actually reach bottom.
I decided on a set of Sprague .022 orange drops. Ordered the parts, bought a soldering iron, and jumped in.

These have made an obvious difference in the tone - What a nice and inexpensive way to treat your ears.

This site sure enables positive results from OCD.

peace,
SL

donepearce

Banned
Reaction score
hi,

just completed my first "do it yourself" guitar mod this evening... and after plugging in, surprisingly it did not burst into flames!!

I have an '04 Epi LP Std, ebony. I had a nice pair on Fralin pups installed when I had a set-up done on the gtr last year. After reading many posts about Epi electronics upgrades I have been curious if the other components were holding back the upgraded pickups. I dug into my homework about caps (myths, truths, voltage, rating, historic, new, paper/oil, polyester, etc, etc...) . This site is extraodinary - a guy can dive into a topic and never actually reach bottom.
I decided on a set of Sprague .022 orange drops. Ordered the parts, bought a soldering iron, and jumped in.

These have made an obvious difference in the tone - What a nice and inexpensive way to treat your ears.

This site sure enables positive results from OCD.

peace,
SL
Looks like you did a good job there. Of course when you are first starting out with learning to solder, the most important quality you need in a component is the ability to withstand a lot of heat for a long time. Looking at those caps, though, it doesn't appear that you have suffered from that problem - they're clean!

bobswinea

Reaction score
Nicely done! I am soldering up my own MSS harness this weekend. You, sir, are an inspiration. I salute you. :thumb:

MrKensei

Reaction score
Nice job, That's the first thing I do with any new guitar that coems standar, solder a pair of orange drops in just like that to see if ti has any potential, I canot abide those horrific little red things hidden in there.

Next up a full replacement harness with switch and jack. Expect the same gains again (and more) from that, it's like it allows the intrument to breath.

Greta first step toward modding addiction.

Hack

Reaction score
Nice, but I would much rather see one burst into flames.

Try again please.

Liquid State

Reaction score
Nice, but I would much rather see one burst into flames.

Try again please.
:D

well next project is a true bypass mod on a used vox wah I picked up. This will clearly be another opportunity for your preferred incendiary results.

SL

56GT

Reaction score
nice.
now change those nasty pots and wiring...

Dr. Pain

Reaction score
After I solder and try out some gear I'm always saying "please work, please work!" So far so good but I have mess up on an EMG solder less kit before and got the connections the wrong way around. EMG actives not getting battery power sound very very weak.

truckermde

Reaction score
That's the spirit! I think I like tinkering with my guitars as much as I love playing them. Two hobbies rolled up in one :)

Liquid State

Reaction score
nice.
now change those nasty pots and wiring...
yeah.... I almost bought the entire upgrade kit off ebay, but "a man's got to know his limitations....." I am sure it is an inevitability somewhere down the line. That said, the damn thing sounds pretty nice right now.

thanks for all the encouragement, gentlemen.

bobswinea

Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I just finished with my own DIY project today. Installed a MSSC 50 Split Coil harness in my LP Tribute Plus. Nice results IMHO. Opened the sound way up! Like others I love modding no matter the scope. Keep up the good work with your DIYs :applause:

DHK68

Reaction score
Congrats. Soldering seems easy, but it is not - at first. I've ruined a few pots. Best tip I've ever heard, from here, is to heat the metal, not the solder. I used to just heat up the solder and drop in on to the joint, and wonder why it never stuck. Once you realize it is quite easy, you start thinking, mmmm maybe I can just replace that, and that, then you end up replacing the whole wiring. I find that process enjoyable.

Latest Threads