My (first) Build Journal

Sinky10

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the guidance on this forum, it has been invaluable to me. Of most use have been the plans provided.

I'm about a month in to my Build, and with 3 young kids it is fair to say that my time on the tools is sporadic and often interrupted! I won't get through this quickly, but what's the rush? In this case I think the journey may give me more joy than the destination.

This is my second guitar build. The first was a tele where no real wood work was required.

I've attached a few photos of profess so far. I'm basically now at the point where I've glued my maple top together and need to rough cut, glue down and then route to the body.

Sinky10

Reaction score
The most time consuming business so far has been the templates. I had some ply in the shed so I used that, but can now fully understand why people use MDF!

Sinky10

Reaction score
My weight reliefs are a bit free hand, made up as I go. It is still seriously heavy so I might do some more.

Sinky10

Reaction score
Top is glued together. Next up some sanding and then rough cut before gluing down.

Sinky10

Reaction score
That's me all caught up. Hopefully be able to post some progress this weekend.

I'm aiming for a '59 Standard.

DaveR

Reaction score
Lookin great! And that flame top is going to be killer!

I have a few suggestions based on personal experience...hopefully this is helpful.

If you think you need more weight relief....you probably do. My first two wound up 8.5-9lbs. Which they say is about right for a proper LP, but feels super heavy after getting my hands on some 6-7 lb axes.

Also, based on your photo of the body routing, I’d recommend cutting or sanding much much closer to the line of your template before taking the router to it. It’s a bit more work on the front end but makes the routing much safer and less likely to have tearout. I try to only take a hair of material off with the router if possible.

Best of luck to you! Looking forward to watching this one take shape!

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
NICE!

Hey buddy, welcome to forum. And great start on that build!

Yes on the CA glue. If you can get it in bottle form, do that. Templates wear out. they just do. CA glue will harden the edges and preserve the sharp edges and integrity of them.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, based on your photo of the body routing, I’d recommend cutting or sanding much much closer to the line of your template before taking the router to it. It’s a bit more work on the front end but makes the routing much safer and less likely to have tearout. I try to only take a hair of material off with the router if possible.

^--this. Absolutely. You will really appreciate having very little material to take off when you go around the end grain.

I try to leave 1/16 " or less, get the wood as close as possible to the template before routing.

Do you have a belt sander such as the RIGID? That would simplify things.

Sinky10

Reaction score
Lookin great! And that flame top is going to be killer!

I have a few suggestions based on personal experience...hopefully this is helpful.

If you think you need more weight relief....you probably do. My first two wound up 8.5-9lbs. Which they say is about right for a proper LP, but feels super heavy after getting my hands on some 6-7 lb axes.

Best of luck to you! Looking forward to watching this one take shape!
Many thanks for the advice. Agreed on the weight relief. Thanks for removing my doubt!

Latest Threads