My First 59 Les Paul Builds

VancoD

Reaction score
Wow - I like it both pre-fade and post-fade. Great coloring either way. Interested to see how the back comes out - "raw" it's a bit too red for my liking, but if it darkens like the top it might be just about perfect.

Shea

Reaction score
Here is a little update on the three Les Paul's I'm building... I have two of these done, and the third is about to get its neck shaped up and ready to attached.. I used Parsons in the first one and Lindy Fralins in the 2nd. I will use antiquities in the third.

Some photos and notes...

I used toothpicks to lock in my holly veneer in four spots for gluing. I trim them flush, and clamp the 1/2" mdf template over the veneer after its been glued with hide glue.
IMG_2604.JPG

Use a razor knife to trim out the V in the headstock
headstock v.JPG

Set my headstock inlay in tinted black epoxy. I like to superglue it to the bed it sits in and the epoxy around it.
IMG_2738.JPG

For the sunburst I first shoot a Blue/brown aniline tint as a "shader" The first time i did this it really freaked me out because it turned green. After the first coat of red, it looks pretty good.
IMG_2700 (2).JPG

After Several coats of red and one clear coat. Out in the sun for a few to catch some real sun rays, but be careful, I found its best not to let them heat up...
IMG_2705 (1).JPG

Which is why I used this UV light also...
IMG_2717 (2).JPG

Here are the completed First 2 guitars! I've learned a lot in the process, and will have to keep building to make my dream guitar, but I have to say, My first one is pretty close. It only took me 3 fretboards completely done to get one I was happy with. Lol. I will have to make some audio recording or a video for the sound of these. I will do that and post it when I finish the third one here in the next month.

Thankful for all those out there that have posted educational and helpful things in threads for all to see and learn something from. Out of all the coolest things I've ever built, I think these are the coolest, thanks to your help.

IMG_2931 (1).JPG
IMG_2937 (1).JPG
IMG_2943.JPG
IMG_2963 (1).JPG

More on the way to finish this thread up!

Attachments

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spectacular. Great job. Congrats.

Cheers Peter.

VancoD

Reaction score
Out in the sun for a few to catch some real sun rays, but be careful, I found its best not to let them heat up...
Here in Tampa this time of year that would be about 5 minutes, tops!

Those are looking really, really great. Nice work!

Shea

Reaction score

Thanks man! This sun bath was in Wyoming while i was there working for a bit. It is pretty potent there as well!

Latest Threads