My First 59 Les Paul Builds

A4effort13

Reaction score
That's looking great man! I've often pondered the idea of a build. About how much would it cost to buy all the tools?

A4effort13

Reaction score
Or if you could make a list of all the required tools that would be awesome!

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that looks excellent

Shea

Reaction score
I think that looks excellent
Thanks dude! This is so freakin cool! Man, is it ever fading. I cant wait to see it in a couple days. I may add a tad more blue and brown to get more red wine hoping to help it fade into a darker brown,, but we'll see. This is a photo of my guitar teachers original that he wishes he never sold back in the 70's. Id be real happy with something similar.
Ricks 59 2.jpeg
Ricks 59.jpeg

Shea

Reaction score
Or if you could make a list of all the required tools that would be awesome!
I'd say a few grand in tools and more in materials.... depending on what tools you bought. Ihave a table saw, couple of routers and a table, jigsaw, planer, jointer planer, drill press, bandsaw, etc. If there's a will, there's a way, to get around some tools.

A4effort13

Reaction score
I'd say a few grand in tools and more in materials.... depending on what tools you bought. Ihave a table saw, couple of routers and a table, jigsaw, planer, jointer planer, drill press, bandsaw, etc. If there's a will, there's a way, to get around some tools.
Yeah I'm usually pretty ingenuitive so I could probably figure out a way to do it without a lot of tools but to do it right it's nice to have the tools. I guess I've spent too much on automotive/metalworking tools I should've done more woodworking

emoney

Reaction score
Great work so far, keep those updates coming!

And as to the "tools" question....you can definitely buy a new Gibby for less than what you'll invest in building one. However, if you get 'hooked' on the building part, the costs of said tools will amortize over each new build, so it makes it a little more palatable at least. If, however, the goal is to build one, then by all means, order a new one.

Shea

Reaction score
I believe the fade in this sample is pretty close to what I'm after. I hope I didn't just get lucky, and can recreate it. If anything Id like the honey to be a bit darker of a brown, and the yellow just hair more vibrant. Can anyone tell me if my final amber coats with make that yellow brighten up? Maybe glow is the right word? Will another shot of yellow over the top of this change the brown in the fade? I guess my main concern is getting the yellow brighter. Id hate for it to fade to natural.

I strung up the guitar after redoing that fretboard, Holy moly this thing has some acoustic tone!!

IMG_1949.JPG
IMG_1953.JPG

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome, but I agree the yellow needs to be stronger...but as you say the amber coats will add some color back so it makes it really hard to say. If I was put on the spot I’d say that with the amber it would be just right.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno...on second thought maybe a bit more yellow in addition to the amber. It’s pretty pale in the center now...

Are you using any amount of color-fast yellow, or all aniline?

Shea

Reaction score
I dunno...on second thought maybe a bit more yellow in addition to the amber. It’s pretty pale in the center now...

Are you using any amount of color-fast yellow, or all aniline?
I used pure aniline. Mixing the two scared me because then I don't know how much yellow, is too much yellow... I suppose going over the top after its faded with colorfast yellow will not hurt or drastically alter the colors in the burst?

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could try it on your test piece and see. Then we will both know ;)

Shea

Reaction score
I used pure aniline. Mixing the two scared me because then I don't know how much yellow, is too much yellow... I suppose going over the top after its faded with colorfast yellow will not hurt or drastically alter the colors in the burst?
[/
That I will do. Thanks man!

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great job so far! You definitely would want to go with color-fast dye for the yellow base coat, as Daniel suggested. There's absolutely no problem doing this, as I do it all the time. Then you can use the aniline dye for the burst and fade that to your hearts' content, and not have to worry about the yellow fading as well. And although I've never tried it, I believe it may be water based aniline dye that is more fade resistant than both alcohol and oil soluble, but I may have that mixed up. But again, I'd just stick with the color-fast dye, like ColorTone or TransTint.

Frank

Shea

Reaction score
Great job so far! You definitely would want to go with color-fast dye for the yellow base coat, as Daniel suggested. There's absolutely no problem doing this, as I do it all the time. Then you can use the aniline dye for the burst and fade that to your hearts' content, and not have to worry about the yellow fading as well. And although I've never tried it, I believe it may be water based aniline dye that is more fade resistant than both alcohol and oil soluble, but I may have that mixed up. But again, I'd just stick with the color-fast dye, like ColorTone or TransTint.

Frank
Thank you Frank! I will test it some scraps and go with that once I'm confident. That will be easier to judge as well. I can shoot light coats of yellow until I reach my level of good, and not have to guess. One of my worst fears is ruining the look with too much yellow.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thank you Frank! I will test it some scraps and go with that once I'm confident. That will be easier to judge as well. I can shoot light coats of yellow until I reach my level of good, and not have to guess. One of my worst fears is ruining the look with too much yellow.
One thing to be aware of, though, is keep in mind if you'll be adding any amber clear coats later on in the process. If so, take that into consideration with the amount of yellow you'll initially put down, especially if you're concerned about putting down too much yellow.

Frank

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This may be of interest to you, but here's a photo of some of my past, but mostly current replicas, built by assorted builders. Can you guess which one was painted using aniline yellow dye that wasn't fade resistant? Note that that same builder ended up repainting the guitar for me.

Frank

Shea

Reaction score
This may be of interest to you, but here's a photo of some of my past, but mostly current replicas, built by assorted builders. Can you guess which one was painted using aniline yellow dye that wasn't fade resistant? Note that that same builder ended up repainting the guitar for me.

Frank
My guess would be the third one from the left....? The Far right is exactly what I'm after, a warm glow of honey. That wine red is beautiful too. The more of those that I see, the more they grow on me. What a cool picture!

Shea

Reaction score
I have made some progress on the first of these 3 Les Pauls. Finally got it set up, and boy, 200% more resonant than my studio LP. I cant believe it. Its been a learning curve with spraying these aniline dyes, shooting them correctly, and getting colors right. I had some small craters / dye bleeding up into the laquer on my seal coats of the back and sides. Dry coats help avoid that. I ended up having to sand down the face side once after shooting a FAT run of red about 7 inches long by the toggle switch. I'm glad I started over because thinned the color coats way more this time and am a lot more happy with how the color came out, and how the binding scraped. I made a tool out of a piece of half inch dowel to hold me right this time.

Since last time I posted, I shot a coat of vintage amber over my faded yellow aniline sample to see what happens. Too brownish for my taste. I also made another test sample with transtint yellow and was pleased with the result, so went on ahead with the guitar. Quite a bit of learning on this guitar, and I'm anxious to finish it. I
believe the other two will go much smoother.

I'm not decided on my headstock logo yet, so it remains black until I decide. Ill have to do some sanding and what not and reshoot the black, but thats ok.

I have put this in the window for maybe 1 hr total, and its fading to brown by itself now. I'm tempted to just let it fade on its own time. I wish I could have kept the color it was when i first shot it. That red sure did grow on me!

First sample faded aniline yellow after a vintage amber rattle can coat. Now we know, Nuance97!
IMG_1972.JPG

New sample lemon yellow with aged clear. I ditched the aged clear on my actual guitar, because Transtint changes ever so slightly with some sun.
IMG_2009.JPG
IMG_2021.JPG

Iv'e got a player here. Man does it sound good!!! I'm a firm believer that glue affects resonance and tone now!
IMG_1985.JPG

Freshly Shot

IMG_2047.JPG

A week later and hardly any sun

FullSizeRender.jpg

Final Coats are going on today. I'm going to do a wash coat as the last one, Hopefully nothing terrible happens! :fingersx:

Attachments

Latest Threads