My firebird

HomerThompson

Reaction score
I was temoted to post this in the les paul category just so more people would read it, but in the end, she just aint a paul. This is my 2013 vintage burst firebird V, i like the Vs for the bound neck and the inlays, which i think are the only differences from the III, the ceramic pickups that were originally in were a high output decent tone,but very confused sounding, they had a hard time being themselves. I replaced with the seymour antiquities. Big improvement, but im not there yet completely, i bought an early seventies gold fbird pickup that all the gold has worn off. Other than that i replaced the nut with a tusq XL and added the maestro. Theres a couple unimportant things that stick out like the cream colours from that time are pink and orange hued and the finish tends to bubble between the two layers, but its minor. I really love this guitar now and as bonamassa says, if you play with your tones and volumes on a firebird is when it really starts to work, ive gigged this at the volume on 2 and the tone on 1 and it sounds great, im surprised over the years more people havent been turned onto this guitar, its a classic rock tone monster, and a sweet tiny little morning dove chirping in a nest all at once. Thanks for looking, now go play

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Heres a picture, does anyone know how to post pictures without it telling me its too large a picture everytime? Thanks guys
Are you using your phone to post pics? An iPhone?

HomerThompson

Reaction score
I was temoted to post this in the les paul category just so more people would read it, but in the end, she just aint a paul. This is my 2013 vintage burst firebird V, i like the Vs for the bound neck and the inlays, which i think are the only differences from the III, the ceramic pickups that were originally in were a high output decent tone,but very confused sounding, they had a hard time being themselves. I replaced with the seymour antiquities. Big improvement, but im not there yet completely, i bought an early seventies gold fbird pickup that all the gold has worn off. Other than that i replaced the nut with a tusq XL and added the maestro. Theres a couple unimportant things that stick out like the cream colours from that time are pink and orange hued and the finish tends to bubble between the two layers, but its minor. I really love this guitar now and as bonamassa says, if you play with your tones and volumes on a firebird is when it really starts to work, ive gigged this at the volume on 2 and the tone on 1 and it sounds great, im surprised over the years more people havent been turned onto this guitar, its a classic rock tone monster, and a sweet tiny little morning dove chirping in a nest all at once. Thanks for looking, now go play
Oh okay. Got it, thanks.

mdubya

Reaction score
Here's a picture, does anyone know how to post pictures without it telling me its too large a picture every time? Thanks guys
Looking good.

Is that a vintage Maestro/Lyre? It seems to have the vintage angle on the spring.

I gigged a Firebird V Reissue for a few years in the 90's. The look of the guitar was always very popular. The tone was great for the middle position and the neck pickup, the bridge pickup was harsh and bright. I ultimately went back to my SG with its 57 Classic + bridge pickup.

I now have a 2016 LE FB V with Maestro/Lyre vibrola! I love it. I might still change the pickups, but I have enough other guitars to cover the tonal bases.

Regarding posting photos; I host mine on imgur and simply paste in the imgur link. No muss, no fuss, and I always have access to my photos without eating up disk and SD card storage.

HomerThompson

Reaction score
Nice wood on that one, the maestro is from real life relics, i found it on reverb after i put the antiquities in it. The pickups looked aged, so i aged the pickup rings and bought the maestro, im not sure who actually made the maestro, it looks cool and stays in great tune. And ill have to check out the imgur option, someone else said i can change the size of the photo im uploading, didnt even know i can do that.

HomerThompson

Reaction score
Just a few pictures, the fingerboard darkened up quite nicely, pretty rough when i got it, and the firebird logo wear is a result of some over-zealous lemon oil work on the fingerboard itself, it also came stock with the steinberg gearless tuners

Attachments

judson

Reaction score
i just clicked on your first pic in the thread, then clicked copy, then clicked to post, then paste and they came out in the larger format....like you above pics work the same way when you click on them they blow up...

btw...i have a couple FBs and love em, was never a fan of steinbergers until i bought a 1972 FB medallion series where the seller replaced the banjo tuners with them....they actually are very functional, but they are still fugly to me...sadly the original owner also hacked out the pickup cavitys to put a set of humbucks in......i got a great deal on it and he included the original fb pups so it was well worth it to me ....i had one years back and had to sell it to pay rent ...as we know that happens...

here is my 72 medallion , 1991 and the 2016 JD Treasure epiphone that i put a SD antiquity in. Also have 60's non reverse that i am working on....finally got a pickguard for two P90s that i need to install....and am always looking for more but keep trying not to go nuts with them...you know that GAS thing always rears its head up when i see one!! :run:

3fb.jpg
nonreverse.jpg

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
i just clicked on your first pic in the thread, then clicked copy, then clicked to post, then paste and they came out in the larger format....like you above pics work the same way when you click on them they blow up...

btw...i have a couple FBs and love em, was never a fan of steinbergers until i bought a 1972 FB medallion series where the seller replaced the banjo tuners with them....they actually are very functional, but they are still fugly to me...sadly the original owner also hacked out the pickup cavitys to put a set of humbucks in......i got a great deal on it and he included the original fb pups so it was well worth it to me ....i had one years back and had to sell it to pay rent ...as we know that happens...

here is my 72 medallion , 1991 and the 2016 JD Treasure epiphone that i put a SD antiquity in. Also have 60's non reverse that i am working on....finally got a pickguard for two P90s that i need to install....and am always looking for more but keep trying not to go nuts with them...you know that GAS thing always rears its head up when i see one!! :run:

View attachment 514698 View attachment 514699
Four seems like a very reasonable number from where I sit. :dunno:

You have plenty of wiggle room! :lol:

HomerThompson

Reaction score

View attachment 514698 View attachment 514699
Beautys, all of them, i will be looking into a non reverse in the future after i say noel gallaghers guitarist play one. I recognized the antiquity instantly, as im waiting for my 70s fbird pickup to come in. How do you find them in comparison to the antiquities? Im under the impression older will have mojo, at least i cling to it. Are the tones similar?

judson

Reaction score
Beautys, all of them, i will be looking into a non reverse in the future after i say noel gallaghers guitarist play one. I recognized the antiquity instantly, as im waiting for my 70s fbird pickup to come in. How do you find them in comparison to the antiquities? Im under the impression older will have mojo, at least i cling to it. Are the tones similar?
thanks.......and actually i am looking at a black one locally...if i can get a decent price on it, that will hold me for awhile ,maybe...or maybe not, i said that after i found the 72...

i never cared for a non reverse really but obtained the husk at a decent price and had most of the parts but no pickguard ...glad i got it as it has a different feel when playing, sound is whatever you put into really but i believe the old wood helps...maybe thats just in my head....but go try one, they might grow on you...

as far as the SD Antiquity in the epi...it was a huge improvement i think, just more atriculate and wider range of tone, more bass if you want it and not the very bright characteristic that most stock FB pickups are known for right or wrong.
for a single pup it works for me.

it was in the 1991 FB bridge position when i bought it but i dont know when it was installed by prior owner.

they all are great to play with the entire fretboard almost centered right under you nose...no complaints really..

yours looks great enjoy it...and i will bet you will end up with one or two more...... :h5:

edit: you asked about the 72 pickups? they are well rounded and maybe the wood also helps that but you can dial them in or get that bright tone as well , they do have a softer bright if than makes sense..i have a hard time describing sound really but there is a difference than some of the more recent FB pups...

Last edited:

HomerThompson

Reaction score
thanks.......and actually i am looking at a black one locally...if i can get a decent price on it, that will hold me for awhile ,maybe...or maybe not, i said that after i found the 72...

i never cared for a non reverse really but obtained the husk at a decent price and had most of the parts but no pickguard ...glad i got it as it has a different feel when playing, sound is whatever you put into really but i believe the old wood helps...maybe thats just in my head....but go try one, they might grow on you...

as far as the SD Antiquity in the epi...it was a huge improvement i think, just more atriculate and wider range of tone, more bass if you want it and not the very bright characteristic that most stock FB pickups are known for right or wrong.
for a single pup it works for me.

it was in the 1991 FB bridge position when i bought it but i dont know when it was installed by prior owner.

they all are great to play with the entire fretboard almost centered right under you nose...no complaints really..

yours looks great enjoy it...and i will bet you will end up with one or two more...... :h5:

edit: you asked about the 72 pickups? they are well rounded and maybe the wood also helps that but you can dial them in or get that bright tone as well , they do have a softer bright if than makes sense..i have a hard time describing sound really but there is a difference than some of the more recent FB pups...
Gotta get the black one...Thats actually what i was hoping for was a softer high end, my antiquity is pretty great sounding . But im always on 7 or 8 on the bridge , and always playing with the tone, but i think thats part of the charm o’ the bird, just a little shrill at full blast. Cant wait for it to get here, and old wood is ALWAYS better.

HomerThompson

Reaction score
Gotta get the black one...Thats actually what i was hoping for was a softer high end, my antiquity is pretty great sounding . But im always on 7 or 8 on the bridge , and always playing with the tone, but i think thats part of the charm o’ the bird, just a little shrill at full blast. Cant wait for it to get here, and old wood is ALWAYS better.

PS, and also i agree about the fretboard positioning, very special feel, that cranked wrist is something only bird players get.

wmachine

Reaction score
That does it. I'm going to get a Maestro for my 2015 FB V. That is all that I wish it had but doesn't! Wasn't sure I wanted to add it, but as of now I am! Any advice?

Last edited:

Latest Threads