My Epiphone LP is better than my Gibson LP

DrBGood

Reaction score
Nature of the beast.

Question: if you ordered a Cadillac, waited for it to arrive, it gets here, you crank it up and no radio, GPS, and such because the factory didn't connect the harness to anything....would you be pissed? Irritated? Disillusioned with Cadillac? Would you mention it to others or keep it secret?

Do you suck it up when you order a Bic Mac, large fries, and large Coke, and they give you a Happy Meal and a small water?

Do you suck it up when you pay for a full service oil change and they don't check the fluids and forget to put the oil cap back on?

Well?

If I had bought a brand new Lester as one of our users did and found a pot that had never been touched by an iron, nothing connected to it, I'd send Levi a picture of that damn control cavity every stinking day... I might put a spot on a digital billboard in Nash re: Get your shit together.

Love my Gibs and all my others too, but if I buy a new guitar, it'd better be right for what a Lester costs.

As I told someone on the phone from one of the universities I attended, asking for donations for some alumni bullshit and saying "...out of your loyalty to ...". Loyalty my ass. You didn't give me a damn thing free. You offered a service. I paid for the service. I was a customer. I'm not going to donate to the damn power company either since I am an 'alumni' of paying my bill for their service. Loyalty?

You sell and I buy, it'd better be what you say it is and not be missing a headlight or something.

I love Gibs, really do....but expecting folks to NOT bitch when they get screwed is ludicrous. Paying for a new not-freaking-cheap guitar and finding obvious flaws is not gonna end well with most folks. I'm not voluntarily subsidizing halfassery with my money.

They deserve reaping what they sow. Any company does.

Nobody wants to be a Yugo but damned if it doesn't seem companies try like hell at times...
My my ...

• Haha
Reactions: ehb

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My my ...
:laugh2:

Wasn't aimed at you. Some seem horrified that someone would say anything contrary about THEIR favorite guitar company...

Feedback, both good and bad, keeps em honest. Way back, any complaints came directly to me at the company. I looked at it as part of my job, not my subordinate's job, and I wanted to know when we dicked up so as to fix it for good the first time.

multi-useless

Reaction score
Way back, any complaints came directly to me at the company. I looked at it as part of my job, not my subordinate's job, and I wanted to know when we dicked up so as to fix it for good the first time.
Not to derail the thread, but I must say that such voluntary assumption of responsibility (even if not my mistake) is also an inherent aspect of my job - therefore, I have a great deal of respect for the way you approached yours in this regard.

You’ll have to excuse me for asking, as I’m a noob here, but it sounds as if your job was with a guitar company - just out of curiosity, and as I might learn something, would you be willing to elaborate?

multi-useless

Reaction score
Are you C-3PO? Just reading your polite discourse put his voice to it in my mind :)
Lol, I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t taken as sarcasm (or any other wrong way) since I’m new to this forum... I’ve seen on forums before where people sometimes have a hard time figuring out exactly what a new guys means or if he’s being authentic, just didn’t want that to happen

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, but I must say that such voluntary assumption of responsibility (even if not my mistake) is also an inherent aspect of my job - therefore, I have a great deal of respect for the way you approached yours in this regard.

You’ll have to excuse me for asking, as I’m a noob here, but it sounds as if your job was with a guitar company - just out of curiosity, and as I might learn something, would you be willing to elaborate?
Edro sells guitars out of a van down by the river and he is very good at it..... though every time i stop by to buy one he's off buying moonpies.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, back then was IT oriented, am retired college, now a partner in a very small local company with music and IT sides. Just another old southern redneck.... :)

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edro sells guitars out of a van down by the river and he is very good at it..... though every time i stop by to buy one he's off buying moonpies.

Moon Pies is serious bidness, mang!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I'll tell you what... I picked up my Epiphone Joe B - Les Paul Custom Black Beauty to jam on today, it is so sweet to play, the feel is very smooth and the guitar just whales, such a great tone and growl to it. I had my Epiphone LP Modern setup professionally and it is nice, but just not as nice as my Epi Custom. My Gibson Les Paul Studio HP is nice, but just not as nice as my Epi Custom. With my Gibson Custom, there is only a slight difference in playability and tone compared to my Epiphone Custom. For someone wanting to save a bit of money there is definitely not enough of a difference to warrant paying the extra 4k for a top notch guitar that you can get for under 1k.

Standard 64

Reaction score
I would be always crying too if I paid 4k for a Gibson Les Paul Custom with a recycled paper and resin fingerboard(richlite).

LP1865

Reaction score
I would be always crying too if I paid 4k for a Gibson Les Paul Custom with a recycled paper and resin fingerboard(richlite).
I wouldn't. If it feels like ebony, and is sustainable and environment-friendly, I would purchase it without question

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, the richlite and ebony fingerboards don't feel any different and the richlite has no maintenance with oil and such. Sure you need to clean it up every now and then from finger dirt and such, but that's it, there is really no difference in the feel and playability of the two.

eeprete

Reaction score
I never understand these posts..... I’ve got both brands, enjoy each for what they do, which is let me play guitar and try to have some assemblance of music.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Richlite is about the most stable board there is, will last longer due to construction than the rest of the guitar, and is slicker than ebony....and it IS wood based....

It is consistent waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past what is even possible in other natural wood boards....

Ain't gonna change, ain't gonna do much of anything but lay there...forever....

Your frets (anchor points in a resonant string system) are anchored in a material that won't swell or shrink, is the same consistency and density end to end, and consistently resonant end to end... Superior to all natural wood boards....

I love my slick neck Jazz Bass with a 'Bakelite'... Hell yeah...

It sucks why?

callmeval

Reaction score
Fine. You all want the truth? I'll tell you but you won't like it.

So I like arrived at rehearsals with my Gibson guitar & everyone was like, wow dude! & I was like, yah I know. Then everyone asked to touch it. So I let them touch it

But then

They were like, dude can we have your autograph? & I was like, dudes cmon it's me. I'm still me, I haven't changed! But they were like but dude, you have changed. There's an aura of greatness about you now

I was like, no way.

That's when it happened. That's when I noticed a glowing light around me. Then a bunch of girls appeared out of nowhere & our rehearsal turned into a concert

Apparently my guitar solos were so awesome they literally made every female in the building pregnant. It was like some kind of immaculate conception of metal. I fathered maybe 10,000 children that day

Then I got offered a trillion dollar record deal & the pressure gave me some kind of nervous breakdown. There was only one way to make it stop

I had to get rid of that guitar

It was the only way to keep my job at Mc'Donalds.

So be wary of Gibson guitars.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
He's a poser with a First Act from Walmart. Can we now close the thread?

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
60C4A4DB-755D-4772-B1E4-7A61BD9F59EC.jpeg

As a person who has owned several Gibsons and Epiphones both used and brand new out of the box.. I personally haven’t experienced anything to have me agree.. I currently own two brand new Epiphones. One is a pelham blue modern and the other is a white custom. They’re both great guitars for less than $700 new. You could gig with the best of them with these guitars. Are they better than their Gibson counterpart? . Better or worse is subjective. Better or worse for who? If you’re happier with your Epiphone than your Gibsons then selling them will yield you many more Epiphones. I will say that the current line of Epiphones are a vast improvement over previous offerings. Indian Laurel isn’t as good aesthetically as rosewood but it’s a massive improvement over Pau Ferro... or Bolivian Rosewood as Gibson calls it lol. I chose these models of Epiphones because they come with ebony boards.

Let’s be honest, the only people who care what kind of guitar the performer is using on stage is the guitar players in the crowd.

people like to get hung up on spec sheet.. reminds of me of bench racers that talk about cars.. I don’t see weight relief whether it’s chambered or Swiss cheese style as a negative attribute to a guitar. If the guitar has a good feel, good tone, tuning stability, and manages to look great doing it then it’ll be a hot item. I prefer the feel of nitro in my hands. It could have 0% affect on the tone of the guitar but I prefer the feel it has to the touch.. in addition to its look. Poly looks great for years but it feels like your playing a guitar encapsulated in plastic... I mean, it’s a finish made of poly after all so it rightfully should.

Anyhow.. you do you bruh. It’ll just leave more Gibsons on the market for others to buy.

Latest Threads