My Epiphone LP is better than my Gibson LP

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have the money to really purchase any guitar I want, I do still have my Gibson Custom Limited Run Les Paul Custom Figured Top Yellow Widow Burst. How is that for fancy long yuppie name for a guitar. haha

Anyway, after getting my Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Les Paul Custom Black Beauty, a copy of his 58 Gibson Black Beauty and comparing them side by side. I was like damn, they sound almost identical and they feel/play almost identical. Sure the Gibson has a tiny bit deeper tone and the action is a little better (had a professional setup done on Gibson and not the Epiphone yet) but the Gibson is 1lb heavier, so that is probably why it has a little bit deeper tone. I am working on selling my Gibson Custom, because I just don't play it now that I have the Epi Black Beauty and don't really need it anymore. You would be surprised all the people that offer only 3k-3.3k for a 4.5k-5k guitar. I will just hold on to it until I get at least 3.8k to 4k for it.

I am looking at getting the Epiphone 59, I really like the warn satin look and it comes with great appointments as well as stellar reviews from everyone. I really like my Epiphone LP Modern as well, very light compared to customs for sure, I mean really really light when you pick it up and it still has a killer tone to it with great sustain.

Last edited:

LuckyDan

Reaction score
I'm not sure this guy gets it right on the Satellite Amps Coronet thing. He says at around 8 minutes that Gibson sued after abandoning the trademark. They didn't. They sent a cease and desist letter. The way Gibson tells it here they never "abandoned" the Coronet.

I think they are right. If my car sits in my driveway for a month, can someone come along and say, well he's not using it, let's crank if up and drive it home, then offer me a few backs when I complain? Then call me a greedy old bastard when I won't sell?

I have to side with Goliath on this one.

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a working musician but I read on the Squier forum a few years ago a post by a club player who said he loves his Squier but he doesn't gig with it because club owners look at players with budget guitars and assume the players must be second-rate. Have you experienced anything like that? Anyone?
Bullshit. Owner usually doesn't know a Squier from a fire truck and can't see the logo on headstock anyway.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If somebody told me to do a gig with one of my higher dollar <fill in the blank> just for some dumbass reason, he'd get a good view of my old natural Yankee Ash Ibanez Skrat...for a good while... or borrow my tech's First Act kinda sorta slab Lester with a single gold TTop in it...both play and sound like a billion bucks...

They only care about you making the cash register ring, keep their bartender happy, watch the clock, and don't blow the glasses off the bar.... That's about it... Just play and act professional.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Val..... you fake being high or the use of drugs worse than you do owning a Slash Anaconda and playing it in a band of non-brand musicians. Do they all play epiphone instruments,....like drums and keyboards???

I need to get out more.

I know the drummer in my band had more money in his kit than anything i could ever afford.... Hell the bass player had more money in gear than the drummer.....i was a piss in the pot with my Gibsons and my Hi-Watt.

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
I have the money to really purchase any guitar I want, I do still have my Gibson Custom Les Paul Custom Limited Run Figured Top Yellow Widow Burst. How is that for fancy long yuppie name for a guitar. haha

Anyway, after getting my Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Les Paul Custom Black Beauty, a copy of his 58 Gibson Black Beauty and comparing them side by side. I was like damn, they sound almost identical and they feel/play almost identical. Sure the Gibson has a tiny bit deeper tone and the action is a little better (had a professional setup done on Gibson and not the Epiphone yet) but the Gibson is a 1lb heavier, so that is probably why it has a little bit deeper tone. I am working on selling my Gibson Custom, because I just don't play it now that I have the Epi Black Beauty and don't really need it anymore. You would be surprised all the people that offer only 3k-3.3k for a 4.5k-5k guitar. I will just hold on to it until I get at least 3.8k to 4k for it.

I am looking at getting the Epiphone 59, I really like the warn satin look and it comes with great appointments as well as stellar reviews from everyone. I really like my Epiphone LP Modern as well, very light compared to customs for sure, I mean really really light when you pick it up and it still has a killer tone to it with great sustain.

i'm with you on that. i want one of those 59's too. i love the satin finish. i wish they had solid black but i think i can deal with a burst seeings how i don't own a burst! good things comming on this yrs bedroom tour :=)

Zylo

Reaction score
i'm with you on that. i want one of those 59's too. i love the satin finish. i wish they had solid black but i think i can deal with a burst seeings how i don't own a burst! good things comming on this yrs bedroom tour :=)
Not to make you guys feel any better ,but I am the proud owner of an epi 59 and I'm loving it:)

rbraad68

Reaction score
Not to make you guys feel any better ,but I am the proud owner of an epi 59 and I'm loving it:)

thats awesome man how do you like it? i'm going to try and go up to a music store and hopefully play a couple and choose instead of online fingers crossed....

multi-useless

Reaction score
I felt like a rockstar & it made me play like one too.
I used to be a pretty damn good guitar player too... then I got a real job, and became a parent, and started doing things that I couldn’t be stoned for... I still don’t understand how all my natural shredding talent just evaporated as I became a responsible adult

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

did i miss the part where someones says the scarf joint is better than a Gibson.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
I dunno if “better” really comes into it but I will say this about my Epi “Inspired by Gibson” LP Goldtop ...

For my needs, it’s as good as the Gibson Custom Shop LP Goldtop I had previously. More importantly, it has allowed me to instead focus my funds on a Custom Shop 335 (which is my main gigging guitar) whilst allowing me to continue to own a decent Les Paul: i.e. it meant I didn’t have to choose only one or the other and I don’t feel I’ve compromised.

Zylo

Reaction score
thats awesome man how do you like it? i'm going to try and go up to a music store and hopefully play a couple and choose instead of online fingers crossed....
Biggest compliment i can give to the guitar is, when you pick it up and play it ,you don't think you're playing an epiphone.im really happy with it, and have zero regrets in getting one.

LuckyDan

Reaction score
Biggest compliment i can give to the guitar is, when you pick it up and play it ,you don't think you're playing an epiphone.im really happy with it, and have zero regrets in getting one.
The 59 is my fourth Epi electric and yes, the feel is very different, noticeable in the shape and finish on the neck, the resonance, the sustain, even the feel when flipping the selector switch. A familiar brand but a very new experience.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My pinkie toe is itching.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I tried a couple of LP 59's tonight at GC. I am not impressed, sure it is nice, but not much different than I already have for the most part. Sure I like the Aged satin finish look and it felt good and sounded good, but all my guitars feel good and sound good. I just couldn't justify spending the $800 because it looks sweet and is a limited edition guitar, since I already have 3 great playing/feeling/sounding guitars already. I thought I would be wowed a little more, but I was not. Obviously if you don't already own a nice playing/feeling/sounding Les Paul then the 59 is a great guitar, but it just did not hit the mark for me to want it. One thing I did notice is that both sounded different, one was brighter and one was darker, I mean a lot darker. Might have been the Pickup height, but it was also just over 1lb heavier. The one was like 8.5lbs and the other was very noticeably heavier by at least 1lb.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I tried a couple of LP 59's tonight at GC. I am not impressed, sure it is nice, but not much different than I already have for the most part. Sure I like the Aged satin finish look and it felt good and sounded good, but all my guitars feel good and sound good. I just couldn't justify spending the $800 because it looks sweet and is a limited edition guitar, since I already have 3 great playing/feeling/sounding guitars already. I thought I would be wowed a little more, but I was not. Obviously if you don't already own a nice playing/feeling/sounding Les Paul then the 59 is a great guitar, but it just did not hit the mark for me to want it. One thing I did notice is that both sounded different, one was brighter and one was darker, I mean a lot darker. Might have been the Pickup height, but it was also just over 1lb heavier. The one was like 8.5lbs and the other was very noticeably heavier by at least 1lb.
Sometimes a tiny random default on a guitar goes viral and that specific guitar becomes a total turd on forum communities. Inversely, when a somewhat newer model appears, a lot of hype can be generated by just a few posts and good marketing. That's reality in present times.

There should be a law against posting opinions while the honeymoon is still blinding you. I would have beeen guilty of violating such a law a few times.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes a tiny random default on a guitar goes viral and that specific guitar becomes a total turd on forum communities.
Nature of the beast.

Question: if you ordered a Cadillac, waited for it to arrive, it gets here, you crank it up and no radio, GPS, and such because the factory didn't connect the harness to anything....would you be pissed? Irritated? Disillusioned with Cadillac? Would you mention it to others or keep it secret?

Do you suck it up when you order a Bic Mac, large fries, and large Coke, and they give you a Happy Meal and a small water?

Do you suck it up when you pay for a full service oil change and they don't check the fluids and forget to put the oil cap back on?

Well?

If I had bought a brand new Lester as one of our users did and found a pot that had never been touched by an iron, nothing connected to it, I'd send Levi a picture of that damn control cavity every stinking day... I might put a spot on a digital billboard in Nash re: Get your shit together.

Love my Gibs and all my others too, but if I buy a new guitar, it'd better be right for what a Lester costs.

As I told someone on the phone from one of the universities I attended, asking for donations for some alumni bullshit and saying "...out of your loyalty to ...". Loyalty my ass. You didn't give me a damn thing free. You offered a service. I paid for the service. I was a customer. I'm not going to donate to the damn power company either since I am an 'alumni' of paying my bill for their service. Loyalty?

You sell and I buy, it'd better be what you say it is and not be missing a headlight or something.

I love Gibs, really do....but expecting folks to NOT bitch when they get screwed is ludicrous. Paying for a new not-freaking-cheap guitar and finding obvious flaws is not gonna end well with most folks. I'm not voluntarily subsidizing halfassery with my money.

They deserve reaping what they sow. Any company does.

Nobody wants to be a Yugo but damned if it doesn't seem companies try like hell at times...

Fuelish

Reaction score
My Epiphone(s) are pretty darned good ......honestly, have only played only one Gibson, many years ago, a friend of a friend wanted to sell it to me, but (knowing what I know now about guitars) it really just needed some TLC and a good setup...I passed on it, was a early '70's Gibson Custom, iirc, he wanted $300 for it ....played like crap. Should've bought it, nothing wrong with it that couldn't be fixed, really. Also, was black, not into solid color finishes, even to this day. I did buy some w*** from him, though ;)

Latest Threads