My Epiphone LP is better than my Gibson LP

2old2rock

Reaction score
My first SG was a cherry Epi special with P90's. Workmanship was very good, factory setup was spot on. The issue was that the selector switch soldering was globbed on excessively so that the middle and treble positions were essentially the same thing (i.e., there was no treble-only). I could have unsoldered and re-soldered it myself but it was brand new so I just returned it rather than mess with it. Got a Gibson SG Standard instead. My experience was 1 out of 2 Epi's I've owned, not a representative selection by any means, and even mighty Gibson can have QC issues. From a playability standpoint I'm not experienced enough to tell if one is objectively better than the other, only what feels right to me, although I do tend to gravitate toward premium names and pretty faces.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Haha... I notice every guitar's brand name when I am watching any guitar player. But... I am probably not in the 99% of normal people! ;)
I always look at what guitar someone is playing as well. But that is just curiosity, it really does not matter that they are playing if it works well for them. We all have a choice for a favorite guitar, mine is the Les Paul, where both Gibson and Epiphone are knocking it out of the park.

1allspub

Reaction score
Yeah, I don’t judge them for what they are playing… but I absolutely notice… every-single-time! :)

msalama

Reaction score
feel your manhood threatened

Ummm... no?

I've owned 2 Epi LPs myself. And while they, and particularly the goldtop one I bought used, were nice guitars, neither was in any way better than my '73 Deluxe. Can't accept that? Fine, your problem not mine amigo :D

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh look, he's playing his Epi again. I told y'all we shouldn't have come here tonight.
e3.jpg

Peter Mac

Reaction score
I do not nor have I ever owned an Epiphone. I have worked on plenty though and they are a moderately good guitar but if i was going to get a Gibson replica guitar, Tokai would be my first choice followed by Burny, Greco, Momose. These Japanese guitars seem to have the "right stuff " when compared to the Korean or Chinese Epiphones. To my mind, it's about the wood - not the name. Tokai and most Japanese builders use the correct woods that Gibson use, build the same way that Gibson build and tend to go for Quality over Quantity. That old saying ' you get what you pay for' is certainly true in this case.

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if he picked option C "none of the above" or answered a different question in the wrong place. Agree with a lot of it. Huge Tokai fan (and owner). Just not the topic.

Latest Threads