My Epiphone LP is better than my Gibson LP

Pdpmail

Reaction score
If you've always wanted a Gibson but are smart enough to buy Epiphone's instead you're in luck because chances are you have a better guitar

My Epiphone Classic 2020 is better than the Gibson it's based on, which I also own.

When ordinary people see my Epiphone & my Gibson side by side they all assume that the Epiphone is the more expensive guitar each time

Unlike the Gibson:

It has a nicer top & prettier inlays
It has a better, more reliable & stable truss rod (which isn't covered in gunk, like most Gibson truss rod's are)
It has no weight relief
It has better construction, yes you read that right
It has a better & more vibrant finish, which isn't destined to deteriorate within a year
It has better string action & playability
It stays in tune

The moment I upgraded my Epiphone with a custom wiring harness & Gibson pickups it destroyed its so called "better made" counterpart

Epiphone guitars are awesome.
Interesting. My epiphone 339 played and sounded great. Unfortunately the electrics failed twice and the neck developed a long neck crack for no reason. Went back to Gibson guitars as I don’t like toys

rgoebel

Reaction score
Yes to Epiphone! I bought a Gibson Les Paul Traditional about a yr and a half ago and kept it for 6 mos before putting it on Reverb and sold it because it played rough, frets were horrible, terrible QC and just hated it! Have a Gibson SG deluxe from the 70's and it is awesome but the new stuff from Gibson is sub par these days. The inlays had more filler around them than you could imagine, some not even flush with the fretboard. The truss rod cavity was so full of polishing compound you could not even adjust it without 1st cleaning out the cavity. The fit and finish was so bad I think a 2 yr old built it! Hence I will never buy another Gibson. I don't care what name is on the headstock when I am on stage playing.

gkelm

Reaction score
After seeing threads like this I’m curious. Last time I was at a shop I picked up a couple Epis…put them right down. Didn’t see it.

I’m open to giving them a chance, and will further.

Old Dog Learning

Reaction score
Take a look at the Epi LP 1959 Standard. A collaboration with Gibson, it includes Gibson US burst buckers and 50’s wiring. Mine arrived in perfect condition (via Sweetwater) and plays and sounds amazing. Many YouTube and magazine reviewers which you can find have given it high marks.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Take a look at the Epi LP 1959 Standard. A collaboration with Gibson, it includes Gibson US burst buckers and 50’s wiring. Mine arrived in perfect condition (via Sweetwater) and plays and sounds amazing. Many YouTube and magazine reviewers which you can find have given it high marks.
Yes but ...

Only a Gibson is overpriced enough.jpg

redcoats1976

Reaction score
the 2020 and up "inspired by gibson"lineup definately plays over its price point.they will get you 90% of the way there at 1/3 of the price.that said i do have a couple of gibsons ...nothing wrong with them either.

Steve T 667

Reaction score
the 2020 and up "inspired by gibson"lineup definately plays over its price point.they will get you 90% of the way there at 1/3 of the price.that said i do have a couple of gibsons ...nothing wrong with them either.
sounds like a fair assement to me

Steve T 667

Reaction score
guitars to me are kinda like motorcycles. All bikes need to be tweaked here and there, some are a lot more work and maintenance. You can get there just as quick on a Yamaha, but some people wnat an old Harley, or a new Harley, Indian, etc. Some people dig those big sleek BMW bikes and stuff, whatever way you wanna ride. My old roomate/bandmates old hoboken cop bike he painted brown and called The Roach was the love of his life foir a while.

Sgrady41

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Gibson LP’s and Acoustic and also have 3 EP guitars. The Ep’s needed a few things but are great guitars in their own right. I think that they are way more than most give them credit for. I also love the Gibson, and my Fenders. All different and all have their stand out qualities. I think it is great the quality Epiphone puts out today.

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Hmmm, I couldn't help but notice that the 2 Epiphones you have are 'Signature' models - not ordinary production models and yet you have 4 Gibsons . . which according to this thread are not betterer.
I can't get rid of this one, named after my wife when her hair was black with red burst highlights. At the time, we were dating, but I can't get rid of it or take it down from the wall. If I get rid of Johanna, she might take it the wrong way. Haha. Happy Wife Happy Life. lol

lpstudiohp3.jpg

epijclpcustom8.jpg

And this one I got used for $600 as my punk rock guitar all stickered out. Too cool to get rid of.

giblp60tribute.jpg

Stealthracer

Reaction score
When you're up on stage 99% of your audience have no idea what make of guitar you're playing. Even if they can get close enough to read the name, it will mean nothing to them.

1allspub

Reaction score
Haha... I notice every guitar's brand name when I am watching any guitar player. But... I am probably not in the 99% of normal people! ;)

Latest Threads