My Dad's 1977 Gibson ES355 (pics)

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just back from visiting my family in the UK, so cool to hang out with my Dad after so many years apart. As soon as I got home Dad got his amp out and wanted me to chuck some strings on my Strat and warm up the fingers!..

Plenty of playing took place over the fortnight I was there - including the night before I flew back where we had a houseful of friends of family and I sat in with my Dad's band. This is what I ended up using on the night...

My Dad was running through his new(ish) Mesa 35w combo, off to the right of my gear...

Pics of my Dad's guitar to follow :D

Last edited:

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
My Dad bought this guitar the year that I was born and he's gigged with it most weekends since then. It's all stock apart from the Roland guitar synth he put on it many years ago (which can be easily removed), mainly so he could cover sax solos, strings, piano parts etc with his band. Never had a refret either

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Apart from the expected gold hardware tarnishing and some buckle-wear to the back it's in pretty good condition for a 42 year old guitar. Was great to get to play it again, last time I played it was when I was 16...

Have a few stories and photos from my visit if anyone's interested, cheers MF

Mick Weiss

Reaction score
cool guitar! I have that same Peavey classic amp down in my son's room, I got it with my 68 Strat back in 85 for a song...

lpfan1980

Reaction score
My Dad bought this guitar the year that I was born and he's gigged with it most weekends since then. It's all stock apart from the Roland guitar synth he put on it many years ago (which can be easily removed), mainly so he could cover sax solos, strings, piano parts etc with his band. Never had a refret either

Whoa your Dad has good taste in guitars enjoy hanging out with your Dad my Dad died when i was 16, my Mom last year im 38 and an orphan :D and my grandparents are gone too.They were my friends as well, Miss em everyday. Enjoy that lovely 335 classic.

BKS

Reaction score
Nice to see the love of playing go from father to son. My family is not musical at all... No players and taste of music is... well :dunno:
Still Love them haha.

bum

Reaction score
I lost my Dad 5 years ago today and this post is just what I needed, just awesome, music bringing you together and sharing such memories, seriously, thank you for this post.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Great story and photos, @Mini Forklift Ⓥ My dad was just a strummer and singer. I learned cowboy chords and old songs from him. My family likes music but I'm the only one who persued it. After he passed, they decided that I should have his '74 Guild F-20. It's not fancy, and it needed some repairs but it's mine until I'm gone :D

Case24

Reaction score
Great story! And such a beautiful guitar. I got to spend some time jamming with my dad at Christmas. He’s 83 and still plays a bit. He used to be in a band before I was born. I’m sure I got my love of music from him.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
I lost my Dad 5 years ago today and this post is just what I needed, just awesome, music bringing you together and sharing such memories, seriously, thank you for this post.
Sorry for your loss, I hope things get easier with time? Sounds like your Dad was a great guy

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
An unexpected highlight was when we had a day out in the Cotswolds, we had to go and visit an old house that belonged to my Mum's Mum's sister, she had just passed away a few weeks before. When we arrived there was a guy just about to leave that my Mum recognised from many years ago, one of my mother's relatives. Turns out that he is none other than Ian Taylor (if you open thae link below he's the one of the left of the photo)

https://iconicpix.photoshelter.com/image/I000069XwT6Xab90

He used to be a studio engineer and after chatting for a while about Hendrix he told us that he produced the 'Still Got The Blues' album by Gary Moore. So then we ended up chatting for another 20mins or so about Gary Moore, such a cool day and a real chance encounter as another couple of minutes and we would have missed him.

Latest Threads