My Burst build

Tone_Chaser

Reaction score
I've been collecting parts for a while now, really since before I found this site. I've taken a few steps toward starting this build too but nothing really serious. I think I'm ready now so that is about to change.

I'm not really going for "vintage accurate" but I'm using the Catto body plans and basically the neck plan from the Stew-Mac plans (with a couple of edits).

First off, I have a 2 piece body (Saple I think, I've had it a long time) and I rough cut the body and then used the router table to get the body to it final shape. Whlie moving my hand position I bumped the body into the router bit and it took a big bite out of the inside of the horn (just my luck!). I think I can make a plug and it won't really be noticeable.

The first picture of my official build thread is my birthday present!!!! I have a pretty cool wife!

Last edited:

kfowler8

Reaction score
Awesome!

I was just using my Ridgid. I can't imagine not having it now. It's so versatile and gives you plenty of room to go slowly. I didn't have it on my first build.

Tone_Chaser

Reaction score
Here is the router bite.

And I used a 3/4" Forstner bit to even out the damage and then made a plug repair the damage.

Last edited:

kfowler8

Reaction score
Felt that pain before. Controlling a router is like controlling a woman.

Tone_Chaser

Reaction score
I'm probably looking at some weight relief before putting the top on this thing. At this point it's 7 lbs. with no channel or control cavity routes. I don't mind it being a little heavy but I'm not getting any younger!

emoney

Reaction score
I think you'll thank yourself if you take out a lot of the weight. Starting with 7lbs will mean mighty hefty when you're done. And I agree about the router being evil. They like to eat wood.

Congrats on the birthday present and good luck on the build.

Tone_Chaser

Reaction score
Awesome!

I was just using my Ridgid. I can't imagine not having it now. It's so versatile and gives you plenty of room to go slowly. I didn't have it on my first build.
I love this thing already! I've used it the last two days and various things. I've only used the belt so far. I was going to use one of the spindles today but the table insert was missing from the box so I need to get one of those before I can use the spindle.

kfowler8

Reaction score
I think you'll thank yourself if you take out a lot of the weight. Starting with 7lbs will mean mighty hefty when you're done.
Go pump some iron. Do some arm curls. Don't be such a girly man. :D

Tone_Chaser

Reaction score
No pics from tonight but nothing too exciting happened. I routed the channel on the front, fixed my router bite and routed for the controls and switch (but not the plate routes). Weight now is 6.5 lbs. so it's getting closer. I'll route for the plates and back round over this weekend and check one more time before I decide whether or not to do the weight relief. I already made the body a little thinner so it's not so heavy.

I should also be able to get the top on this weekend and get some pictures taken. I think the repair will look pretty good and not easily be seen.

Then it will be on to the carve and roughing out the neck. I'm enjoying watching this come together even though I still have a long way to go.

Tone_Chaser

Reaction score
Nothing good to take pics of today. I did drill 6 wieght relief holes just to the depth of the Forster bit and got the body weight down to 6 lbs.

The router bit is too long to do the control cavity plate routes with my template so I need to make a double thick template for those areas. Since that would take a little time, I decided to glue the top on today.

I'll get some shots next time I work on it so you can get a look at the top. I think it's going to be a pretty nice one. I'll also get a shot of the repair, it turned out pretty good. It's just sanded with 60 grit but you really can't see it. We'll see what happens when I get it down to 220.

Tone_Chaser

Reaction score
Here is the shot after I took the clamps off:

Yesterday I routed the steps for the carve and started sanding it. It really kind of bothered me when I thought about the price of the maple tops when I look at the big pile of router shavings and sanding dust on the floor.

My next issue is that the velcro on my ROS is worn out. When I'm on a flat surface it does okay but when I try to bring it to an angle to to the carve and especially the recurve, the sand paper won't stay on. I probably won't be able to be anywhere to pick up a new one until Monday so I'll probably not be able to refine my carve until next week.

I should be able to move on to the neck and pickup planes and the binding channel before completing the carve.

I wiped down the top with a little naptha this afternoon and this is what it looks like now:

Last edited:

Tone_Chaser

Reaction score
I got the neck and pickup planes done today and started refining my carve by hand with some 60 grit and a block. I decided not to wait until I get a new sander (Barnaby would be proud!). I'll try to get it finished tomorrow so I can start moving on to the neck.

Tone_Chaser

Reaction score
I had a pretty busy weekend and didn't get much time to work on the build. I did get the binding on the body and with the neck in a rough state I started working on the fingerboard (pics to come later).

There is one area on the binding that has a small gap between the body and the binding about where your arm would be. Can I melt some of the remaining binding in acetone and fill the gap? I'm thinking I should be able to do that and scrape it and it wouldn't really show at all.

Also, thinking ahead a little, I purchased an arbor press from Habor Frieght to press in the frets. I have the 12" radius brass caul insert from Stew-Mac and I'm just wondering how some of you have modified an abor press to take the cauls. Any descriptions or pics would be greatly appreciated.

kfowler8

Reaction score
Also, thinking ahead a little, I purchased an arbor press from Habor Frieght to press in the frets. I have the 12" radius brass caul insert from Stew-Mac and I'm just wondering how some of you have modified an abor press to take the cauls. Any descriptions or pics would be greatly appreciated.
I have the HF arbor press. There's not an easy way to attach the fret caul to the press. The press is basically just a square press.

If you have a drill press that's what I use. Your really shouldn't be putting that much pressure to get the frets in anyway.

Tone_Chaser

Reaction score
Been pretty busy lately but have made a few baby steps. Neck pocket and pickup ears are done. I did the control plate routes last night, the control cavity went fine but when doing the switchplate cover the bearing slipped above the template and my little circle has an ear!

Oh well, at least I caught it quickly and will just have to enlarge it. I'm glad I was going to make my own covers. I tell you, some of you guys make this look so damn easy!

Working on my fret slot jig now. Hopefully I'll get my fingerboard done this weekend.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
You should know that the velcro on your ROS is probably replaceable. There's a very strong possibility that your local big box hardware/home improvement store sells replacements, sometimes called "conversion pads".

I replace mine regularly. They do wear out. I'd say I probably replace a velcro pad nearly every time I build a guitar.

Whatever brand of ROS you have, check that maker's website for replacement parts.

jbrybar

Reaction score
Looks good so far.. I'm just finishing the wood working on my first build and I have definitely had my learning experiences. I had a similar one while routing for the control cavity cover.. I think it is very important to take your time as well as go through each step in your mind before you tackle it. It helps you know what needs the most attention during each step. This helps me anyway.. I anxious to see more pics of your build! :)

Tone_Chaser

Reaction score
You should know that the velcro on your ROS is probably replaceable. There's a very strong possibility that your local big box hardware/home improvement store sells replacements, sometimes called "conversion pads".

I replace mine regularly. They do wear out. I'd say I probably replace a velcro pad nearly every time I build a guitar.

Whatever brand of ROS you have, check that maker's website for replacement parts.
Thanks, that's great to know! It's a Dewalt ROS so I'll check their site and maybe go by Lowe's tomorrow. I was planning on going in the next few days anyway.

Latest Threads