My "Blackfire" Les Paul Custom

zslane

Reaction score
LOVE IT! Who did you get to paint the body? :wow:
Pat Wilkins in Van Nuys, CA: Welcome to Pat Wilkins™ Custom Guitars & Finishes

Wow! That is a cool custom!:applause::thumb: But... is that a bird's nest of strings?!:hmm:
Yeah, but that bird's nest of string ends won't be around long. I usually trim them down.

Beautiful! Wow.

Is the color in the photo accurate? I love the warm/brown tone to it, wonderfully unique. I would think a trans black would be more neutral, although I've seen them go purplely/eggplanty, which is nice as well.

Do you have a before photo with all the wear you're talking about? That would be interesting to see!
Yes, it does in fact have the warm tone to the stain rather than a more typical neutral tone! I'd say it is somewhere between brown and eggplanty.

I do have photos of the way it looked before, but I haven't uploaded them anywhere yet.

wyldesixx21

Reaction score
Pat Wilkins in Van Nuys, CA: Welcome to Pat Wilkins™ Custom Guitars & Finishes

Yeah, but that bird's nest of string ends won't be around long. I usually trim them down.

Yes, it does in fact have the warm tone to the stain rather than a more typical neutral tone! I'd say it is somewhere between brown and eggplanty.

I do have photos of the way it looked before, but I haven't uploaded them anywhere yet.
Thanks for the link. Did Gibson ever made a burst close to that, are did Custom Shop? Again I really dig the way it turned out.

zslane

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Did Gibson ever made a burst close to that, are did Custom Shop? Again I really dig the way it turned out.
Well, Gibson has made a number of Les Paul models with a trans black finish in the past.

I'm sure there have been GotW models as well. I've probably missed some others. Not many of them seem to have a black burst edge though.

Phoenix59

Reaction score
Awesome! You might have to get a custom TRC that says "This is NOT a Chad Kroeger model" :D

zslane

Reaction score
Awesome! You might have to get a custom TRC that says "This is NOT a Chad Kroeger model" :D
I hear ya. I've already installed a custom handcrafted TRC (it should be visible in the photo). In its own way, the MOP tribal inlay on my TRC declares the guitar's non-Chad Kroeger-ishness. :fingersx:

LesPaulMick

Reaction score
:shock: Wow, thats stunning. Great job man. Can't wait to see the 'before' pics.

esolano

Reaction score
From honeyburst to this? Simply stunning! Where did you get this done?

Ed B

Reaction score
Very nice!! Love the pups too.

axslinger

Reaction score
"Tone for days"? Shit, I want one. Mine only has tone for hours! After that, I have to throw it away and get a different one!

zslane

Reaction score
Here are some "before" photos.

What these photos don't really show is how the neck pickup was barely being held in place due to the deterioration of the pickup ring. Or how pitted and tarnished the gold hardware was. Or how corroded the electronics were inside the control cavity. Or how chipped the corners of the headstock were. Etc.

I'm not kidding when I say it is virtually a completely new guitar now. :thumb:

Leendrix

The Cheeky One
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm absolutely in love with this guitar. If you are selling it one day, I'll buy it from you.

zslane

Reaction score
I'm absolutely in love with this guitar. If you are selling it one day, I'll buy it from you.
Yeah, I'm in love with it too! :D

It is the only one of its kind as far as I know, if for no other reason than it is so heavily modified. However, there is a Gibson LP Custom up on eBay right now that has a flame maple cap and a transparent black finish. I was stunned to see it. Customs with flame maple tops are uncommon enough as it is, but transparent black is just not a finish you see on Customs. All you'd have to do to turn it into a copy of my Blackfire is swap all the chrome hardware for black and, if so inclined, swap the pickups with Duncans. But that Custom up on eBay isn't cheap. And, of course, I'm assuming it's not a fake... :hmm:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Latest Threads