My Black Beauty on ebay?

Diocletian

Reaction score
Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty Three on eBay (end time 05-Jan-11 14:38:16 GMT)

That's MY photo, of MY guitar. You can see it in my avatar.

But I'm not selling my guitar.

I'm assuming this guy - too lazy to take a photo of his own - just looked on the net for a picture of some random Epi Black Beauty and found mine.

Maybe it shouldn't bother me, but I find it really, really weird to see someone selling a guitar with a photo of mine there.

SlashAppetite

Reaction score
I asked him about that cos it has a straight logo so i assumed it was an old one but it's actually a 2005 and he said he was out of the country and he'll take more pics when he gets back.
I'd report him if i were you. :slash:

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd report that... It cracks me up when people try to sell a guitar with one small photo. That's just stupid.

longan

Reaction score
I'd say bid on it. Just to **** with him.
(If any mod sees this, it put up **** myself, I did not say ****)

captainbraindamage

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You should at least ask him why he is using your photo, so that it will show up in the Q&A section at the bottom of the e-bay page.

onioner

Reaction score
Good to see the rest of that pic though.

jrnic

Reaction score
You should at least ask him why he is using your photo, so that it will show up in the Q&A section at the bottom of the e-bay page.
Unless the seller wants the question to show, it won't. I can bet that he won't!!

Diocletian

Reaction score
I sent him an email asking about it, but he's not replied, so I did report it.
Apart from anything else, chances are his guitar doesn't look like mine at all. Mine doesn't look exactly like anyone's I've seen on here so I doubt it'll be just like his.

zontar

Reaction score
I had a picture of my classical posted on Kijiji (Or was it Craigslist) in another city, and the guy had way overpriced it--I notified kijiji/cl, and got the automated email response, but no follow up--I emailed the guy who posted the ad, but never got a response.

cuthbertg

Banned
Reaction score
Meh, perhaps he was just in a hurry and did a google image search....

I've done the same thing but usually get one off the manufacturers site until i can add my own pics later, or email them to anyone who asks for them as it saves on the listing fees

There is no copywright watermark on the photo, so I don't think that legally he has done anything wrong.......(yet!)

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Meh, perhaps he was just in a hurry and did a google image search....

I've done the same thing but usually get one off the manufacturers site until i can add my own pics later, or email them to anyone who asks for them as it saves on the listing fees

There is no copywright watermark on the photo, so I don't think that legally he has done anything wrong.......(yet!)
Don't you think the buyer should get exactly what is pictured......:hmm:

cuthbertg

Banned
Reaction score
Well yeah, but I suppose it depends really - I have sold SM57s from a stock pic from the shure website and not had any problems with unhappy customers etc. But then, when I bought a job lot of condemned bass guitairs a few years ago (all same make and type, different colours) I just posted one pic, but emailed the customers more pics of the colour and specific guitar they asked for to keep costs down......

Unless I was buying for spares or repair, I would never settle for buying a guitar from just the one pic, and of course, no matter what the seller says on the listing, If the item is not as described in the listing, or not fit for purpose, you are entitled to a full refund under UK law.....

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Well yeah, but I suppose it depends really - I have sold SM57s from a stock pic from the shure website and not had any problems with unhappy customers etc. But then, when I bought a job lot of condemned bass guitairs a few years ago (all same make and type, different colours) I just posted one pic, but emailed the customers more pics of the colour and specific guitar they asked for to keep costs down......

Unless I was buying for spares or repair, I would never settle for buying a guitar from just the one pic, and of course, no matter what the seller says on the listing, If the item is not as described in the listing, or not fit for purpose, you are entitled to a full refund under UK law.....
It never can be.........with a pic of another persons guitar:hmm:

cuthbertg

Banned
Reaction score
It never can be.........with a pic of another persons guitar:hmm:
The keyword here being 'described'

I would ask the seller a lot more questions about it and ask for more pics, purely because he only has 7 feedback points and is not likely to be ebay savvy

Diocletian

Reaction score
Exactly. My guitar has things on it that people here don't have on theirs - three black binding lines on the headstock for example.
I understand the guy probably just googled it, I just find it weird to see someone selling a guitar and...it's mine!

cuthbertg

Banned
Reaction score
Exactly. My guitar has things on it that people here don't have on theirs - three black binding lines on the headstock for example.
I understand the guy probably just googled it, I just find it weird to see someone selling a guitar and...it's mine!
Yeah, I totally understand it feeling a bit strange, and it is a bit silly not going direct to the Epi site for a pic of his particular model......if indeed he is selling an epi.....

It'll be interesting to see if he replies to any of the questions sent by people on here.......I notice it has been bid up to £170

campbellj

Reaction score
You could always make a ebay listing of your own with the same pic and in the description just explain that your guitar is not for sale and the other guitar listed (with the listing number) is actually your guitar just to warn buyers not to bid on his. If ppl are looking at his they will look at yours too. Use the exact same title too so key word searchers get both listings. You could add more pics of yours also for proof that his listing is BS. Then if he decides to change his pic, you could remove your listing. I would wait though until his has exactly 5 days left so you can choose a 5 day listing then yours will show up right under his.

Hack

Reaction score
WhoooHoooo!

I'm going to buy your guitar Diocletian!!

Tudorp

Reaction score
I used to sell collector model rail road stuff. And there was a seller that used to relist MY own items I had sold on ebay. He used my actual listings, pictures and all. He was re-selling my stuff, getting paid for them, and of course never sending them the items, because they wern't his, they were MINE.. lol. He was just like that, very low feedback, but by the time people realized they wern't getting the items, he vanished, and opened up a new account under a different name and did it all over again..

Latest Threads