My adventure with a vox amplug

Mr Insane

Reaction score
So there used to always be a volume war at night. Finally one day I got a Vox Amplug(ac30 model) to solve that. The headphones I had weren't that great so it didn't get used much.

One day, for fun, I used an adapter and plugged it into either my Peavey 212 Deuce or Fender Blues Jr. Can't remember which one. But, that tone was amazing! Back then I always used a clean amp with a pedal for dirt. My choice at the time was a Boss Blues Driver. The Amplug blew the Boss out of the water.

I thought to myself "If only this was a pedal." Guess what I had the bright idea to do? Well in the process of trying to pry it open, I thought for sure I broke it somehow. It just wouldn't work. So it got thrown in the back of dresser. At one point I thought I threw it away, but found it again.

Fast forward a little bit, I changed my tune on how to use a tube amp. Use the amps natural drive and use the pedals for solo boosts. Don't laugh that was a major revelation to me. :laugh2:

Got a Blackstar HT-40 to satisfy my need for a EL-34 amp(FYI still love it).

During some youtube watching, I came across some cranked AC30 demos. My only experience with them is at the devil's store, GC. So I haven't had the opportunity to hear in person what they sound overdriven. But in the demos, they just sounded heavenly.

The amplug came back in my mind. Just to double check, I tried it again. Holy crap it works! With good headphones, it sounds amazing too.

Now if only I could turn one into a pedal...

River

Reaction score
5437919440_553125912c_b.jpg

MrBurns.gif

River

Reaction score
What I'm doing there is offloading the Amplug from the guitar so I don't go obliterating its settings while playing in a, uh, animated fashion. 3/4" plug from guitar to magic box to Amplug, Amplug into magic box, magic box into (clean) amp (well, something like that).

If you're really ambitious, you can put the Amplug into a stomp box and make it foot-controllable. I'm not that ambitious, and just dial the Amplug in manually as required (which isn't much, as it's quite responsive to guitar-knob control) - but I'll admit I can't pull that off without reading glasses.

But I'm old. You whippersnappers should be able to handle it. I've gigged that rig a couple of times. It works. It really works.

Jody

Reaction score
River...
Ever Run that rig in stereo? :naughty:

lancpudn

Reaction score
Hey cool tips about the amplug i didn't know:thumb:. I have the classic rock amplug and i found out if you dial the gain back it makes a great bass tone for my bass guitar.:)

Latest Threads