My 4 month old has a bionic eye...

GreaseBox

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So yesterday morning we took my 4 month old son in for eye surgery. Long story short he's a bit cross eyed, like most babies are but he had not grown out of it. He has PHPV (Persistent Hyperplastic Primary Vitreous (PHPV)) so basicly the "jelly" in the eye is cloudy. He went to Riley's Children's Hospital for surgery and they took out his lens and gave him a lens implant... :shock:
I didn't even know that they did stuff like that... :laugh2:
The doctor said at best he will be able to read the big E on an eye chart with that eye but his other eye is 100% so he will be fine. He went back for a check up today and all is well. He actually has tiny stitches in his eyeball.

My baby and his bionic eye are doing well and the surgery was a success. Thank God for modern medicine...

Peace!
:dude:

Jason

Reaction score
Wild stuff, man. I've heard of it... in fact, I nearly applied for a job I found on CL, which was going around to funeral homes and removing eyeballs to be used for that purpose. The hours are quite erratic though.

Tsukiyomi

Reaction score
Wow, I never knew they did this kind of thing either. I'm glad to hear your mini Steve Austin is doing well!

GreaseBox

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's crazy. I guess the artificial lens is made of a soft acrylic. I keep thinking of the six million dollar man... :laugh2:

LongBeach

Reaction score
Thank goodness the technology is available.

Jason

Reaction score
Oh, it's artificial? That's cool! :thumb:

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow, neat stuff. I assume eventually the vision in the bionic eye will be able to be corrected with lenses?

mobprop667

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
wow, that is awsome. does he make that " neh neh neh neh" noise when he tries to look at stuff?

BMS

Reaction score
That's incredible and great news! So, you have a 6 million dollar baby? :laugh2:

GreaseBox

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The vision in that eye will never be able to be corrected. They said at best he will see the big E at the top of the eye chart. They have to do the surgery to ensure the eye doesn't "die". I just feel blessed that he has a good eye so I shouldn't affect him much.

And yeah he makes the bionic noises just like Lee Majors did... :laugh2:

Latest Threads