My “new” R8 (which year is it)

HomerThompson

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I had a 1989 goldtop standard which i would never sell, but this deal came along and i couldn’t say no, and as much as i miss my goldtop (alot), it was for the greater good as this guitar is unbelievable. In the Ad, the seller had a hard time placing the year as to whether it was a late 2019, or early 2020 model. As a new-comer to reissues, all i know is that its the best electric guitar ive ever owned. Everyone who has picked it up has been shocked at the weight (7.4 pounds) which is great, i always preferred vintage sunbursts, but you live once, and i can handle a little red in my paint. The only cosmetic issue is someone at some point let the too of case fall on the guitar as it was coming out of the case and it skidded across the top and side of the guitar, or so the story goes, anywhooo , here it is.

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
First digit indicates model (R8)
2nd digit indicates year (9=2019)
The rest indicates production number (1217)

Gibson dropped the R designation in 2016.

Not sure why I first put 1989?

Last edited:

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice.

Being a goldtop man I can't applaud your decision but I do understand it. :cheers:

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hmm, are you sure that it isn't a Cloud 9 or whatever they were calling the chambered reissues? That's really, REALLY light. You should email Gibson Customer Service with the serial number and they'll get back to you with more details and specifics (it usually takes a few days), but that has to be chambered.

HomerThompson

Reaction score
Hmm, are you sure that it isn't a Cloud 9 or whatever they were calling the chambered reissues? That's really, REALLY light. You should email Gibson Customer Service with the serial number and they'll get back to you with more details and specifics (it usually takes a few days), but that has to be chambered.
Alright ill do that to make sure

Natural1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Custom Shop chambered reissues are basically fully chambered. Take the control cover plate off and you will see immediately if it's chambered or not.

Nice guitar!!

Tim Plains

Reaction score
You don't have a chambered guitar based on that serial number. Yes, you can see the massive hole through the rear cavity. It's either very light or your scale is off.

Zoli77

Reaction score
Beatiful guitar!!!! I also recently got a very similar 2019 R8, it’s 7.8 lbs, so don’t panic, I don’t think it’s chambered. A few months ago I found another R8, a 2018 that was ridiculously light. I don’t know what’s with these light R8’s but they’re out there. I love the way mine sounds, and it is the best guitar I’ve ever picked up. Congrats!

HomerThompson

Reaction score
Beatiful guitar!!!! I also recently got a very similar 2019 R8, it’s 7.8 lbs, so don’t panic, I don’t think it’s chambered. A few months ago I found another R8, a 2018 that was ridiculously light. I don’t know what’s with these light R8’s but they’re out there. I love the way mine sounds, and it is the best guitar I’ve ever picked up. Congrats!
Thanks alot, thats good to hear about other R8s, the sound is amazing. Ive never had clearer but fuller hbs in my life. The neck is also slimmer than most 8s ive tried , more like an R9 id say, its killer.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't panic either way, whether it's chambered or weight relieved or whatever. It's still an R8 and it's awesome! I would email Gibson about it though, why not?

Also it's very possible that your scale is off by about a pound. If it's a bathroom-type scale meant to measure people, they aren't very accurate down at the low extremes, so it could easily be 8 or 9 pounds and read 7 1/2. Just a thought. I've taken my R9 to the post office scale (after hours so I don't look so riciulous), and it's exactly 8 pounds, 8 ounces, and that's a pretty darn light Les Paul!

HomerThompson

Reaction score
I wouldn't panic either way, whether it's chambered or weight relieved or whatever. It's still an R8 and it's awesome! I would email Gibson about it though, why not?

Also it's very possible that your scale is off by about a pound. If it's a bathroom-type scale meant to measure people, they aren't very accurate down at the low extremes, so it could easily be 8 or 9 pounds and read 7 1/2. Just a thought. I've taken my R9 to the post office scale (after hours so I don't look so riciulous), and it's exactly 8 pounds, 8 ounces, and that's a pretty darn light Les Paul!
Yeah it could be, it feels very light anyhow from the lps i have had, thats cool, would love to see the r9!

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah it could be, it feels very light anyhow from the lps i have had, thats cool, would love to see the r9!
Here's my most recent shot of it, I actually just snapped it really quickly to show off my "new" (as of some months ago) Pro Reverb at the time:

R9.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads