MXR Micro Amp As A Pickup Booster

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I've been reviewing the MXR Micro Amp as a means of boosting my Les Paul bridge Burstbucker II. I use the Les Paul with both BB 1 and 2 into a gainy Orange Dark Terror. I love the gain tones from this amp and set it so that my BB1 can do a “clean” and the midddle and bridge positions handle the gain I need.

On some occasions I find that the BB2 is not quite as loud as I need it and I'm thinking the Micro Amp preset
to a slightly boosted gain will get me that extra bit of loudness for a quick solo when the pedal is on and quickly hit it to get back to my normal rhythm gain. Will this MXR give me what I need for that? It should be easier than using pickup volume knob to “find” that right volume.

Classicplayer

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you can certainly do that. In fact, I think most people use the Micro Amp as a boost or solo pedal.

i use the Micro Amp often always on, as I prefer to play with P-90s and other lower output pickups then driven to the perfect gain stage by the Micro Amp.

I will say though, a BB2 in the bridge into a Dark Terror should be pretty crunchy. Obviously it depends on your volume and gain settings, so maybe increase the gain for the bridge to be perfect and then roll off the neck volume for the perfect clean you want. It’s also possible the BB2 could be set higher to the strings to give you more output and crunch.

But any of those things work. How we end up getting to the sound we want is what makes us unique.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I do have the BB2 up quite high as it is, and yes, there is enough crunch going on for my taste, I'm wondering if I should experiment with amp gain and amp volume and that in itself will enable me to lower and raise the BB2 volume to a greater degree, allowing still more grit, but yet not so high as to be able to clean the bridge up by rolling volume back down.

Classicplayer

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Premium Member
Reaction score
You could also look at an EQ pedal that has a level boost, for example the Boss GE-7. That gives you some more tone shaping ability along with a volume lift. The GE-7 does not have the same amount of available gain (15dB compared to 26dB for the Micro Amp), but if you are just looking for a small increase then the GE-7 might be enough. Food for thought.

-Jay

Platte City Paul

Reaction score
Like Death Incarnate said (only here... ;P ), I use my Micro Amp as a solo boost. All my other pedals, except the compression pedal (Boss CS-3) are set to unity gain, which means same volume out as in. (There is no volume change whether the pedal is on or off, in other words.) The compression pedal is always on.