MXR GT-OD

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
I've always had a soft spot for MXR stuff, I own several of their pedals including an EVH 5150 (a very versatile piece of gear and much more than its name would at first suggest) moreover for some reason I always wondered about their GT-OD and today finally I had the chance to get one and even though it doesn't seem to be very popular it's actually great.

A lot of people describe the GT-OD as "just another Tube Screamer" (have they ever actually tried one????) however as few years ago I had an original '82 TS-808 and I currently own a reissue, having played both side-by-side today I can honestly say that they are very different; most if not all overdrive pedals somehow "live in the same zip code" but the GT-OD is much beefier than the TS808, it sounds....bigger & thicker.
It's a keeper, no question about it.

A question I have though, is; since there's this version and there's also the Custom Shop version, are there any real differences between the two...?
Any serious and knowledgeable guys here that can give a reliable answer to this question?
Thank you so much in advance.

IMG_1341.jpg

Last edited:

Rds

Reaction score
i havent tried this one. next time im at the music store i will look for it to check out. i have an mxr classic overdrive i really like.

DADDEO

Reaction score
Got one of these, use it with my Zenman overdrive/boost for my metal sounds.
Not keen with it on its own through my LC15, but then again my ears are shot to hell. Don't think I'd ever sell it.
Edit, first time I tried one was through a Fender BJ and it sounded bloody wonderful.

Last edited:

Latest Threads