Musician`s Friend SUCKS!

Caretaker

Reaction score
I've never had an issue with this company before and have always praised them for the great customer support, but no more.

I ordered an amp.

it was due to be delivered today.

First they claim no one was home. There was someone here ALL DAY.

They attempted delivery twice.

UPS was here today with 2 other packages today but the driver knew nothing about my amp(same guy for years).

Then MF admits they may have put the wrong address on the package and it would be here Wednesday.

I told them that was unacceptable. I wanted it overnighted to me (I have no idea where they sent it).
I then get an email that they requested it be returned to them and they would ship another out and I would have it Wednesday. Again, unacceptable.

I finally get the order cancelled and now they tell me a refund will be processed in 3-5 days but probably will not get to me for about 10 business days.

I ask to speak to the guy on the phone`s supervisor.
Put on hold for 15 minutes.

Him again giving me the runaround. No supervisor.

I again ask to speak to him.

No supervisor available.

I have no choice at this point.

10 minutes later I get an email with an RA number and instructions on how to return the amp for a refund(in about 10 days from when they receive the product back...the product I never received!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now they are closed.

My work hours almost mirror their phone hours for the next 3 days so the next contact with them will be Tuesday.

And I was having such a good day.

Attachments

• musicians-friend-sucks.png
    musicians-friend-sucks.png
    59 KB · Views: 13,766

TheDevice

Reaction score
This is the kind of scenario where Sweetwater rules. I ordered a Les Paul special, came with shipping damage. I emailed my rep, he sent another overnight and I had 30 days to return the broken one. No questions, no charges. They will get my business every time.

fry

Reaction score
That sucks. They were a great company many years ago, before being acquired by GC. They used to set the standard for customer service.

sk8rat

Reaction score
their customer service really is horrible.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
they lost my business a few years back, shame, i used to buy a lot of stuff from them.

Olds442

Reaction score
sweetwater or sam ash here, or member classifieds.

i don't do GC or MF unless it's some exclusive i just gotta have.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Call credit card company. Tell them you bought something and it never arrived. Tell them the vendor is dragging their feet on a refund and you are disputing the charge.

/end_problem

LSAR

Reaction score
Oh man, having worked in a call center for awhile (awhile ago) I've got a few strong feelings about this post.

1. Payment processing is a bitch and typically out of the hands of anyone in the customer service chain. If the transaction is settled, they can probably do it right away during daytime hours and your bank can still take 3-5 business days to reflect the refund. If it's still only authorized then there may still be 3-5 business days per bank involved = up to 10 days before you may see your money. That's not on them, that's just how things are.

2. Most customer service organizations aren't going to allow a front line agent (or supervisor) to off the cuff re-ship an order or outright refund one on the spot. It could be a scanning issue with the shipper, or as likely as anything user error. Their system is probably highly automated and probably doesn't particularly allow the wrong address to just somehow end up on there. User or courier error is much more likely. They don't know the order isn't going to show up in the morning or later in the day anyway. They don't know what you're going to do if you get two amps, either...there are a whole lot of dishonest people out there so it makes sense to sort things out before you throw more product at someone.

3. Anyone who uses the phrase "that's unacceptable" with a customer service agent should be court ordered to do that job for a solid week. By solid, I mean putting in a genuine effort under supervision (the clock doesn't start until you look like you give a shit). That phrase is the adult equivalent of a toddler digging in their heels and refusing to leave a store without their favorite candy bar or refusing to leave a restaurant without dessert. If what's offered doesn't work for you, let them know why and consider asking them as a fellow human being if there's a better option they can offer you or any additional resources they can check for you. The second you dig your heels in, you're choosing not to move (forwards or backwards). It's literally their job on the other end of that phone to find you the best available resolution to your issue, in the most timely manner they're able.

4. In any half-decently run organization the supervisor actually isn't available. Taking escalation calls is probably one of 15 or so other things he has on the go, and people who want to talk to supervisors seem to have a sixth sense that causes them all to pick up the phone around the same time. That being said, a call back from one and/or estimate on when they can be available should pretty much always be offered. Usually that's even ideal as it allows the supervisor to figure out the particulars and see what resources he's got to actually fix the issue rather than fumbling around and putting you on hold while he looks into it.

This is all just me bitching, but "unacceptable" in this context does get me pretty triggered. Things have gone wrong already if you've got to call...accept that and work with the person on the other end to figure out what's gonna make you feel better about it. Use them again or don't, but if you're not willing to work with them on the issue at hand you can't expect mountains to part and magic to occur.

Regardless of the factors involved though, OP I do appreciate that not getting what you expected sucks, and I do hope they can come up with something to smooth this out for you.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Oh man, having worked in a call center for awhile (awhile ago) I've got a few strong feelings about this post.

1. Payment processing is a bitch and typically out of the hands of anyone in the customer service chain. If the transaction is settled, they can probably do it right away during daytime hours and your bank can still take 3-5 business days to reflect the refund. If it's still only authorized then there may still be 3-5 business days per bank involved = up to 10 days before you may see your money. That's not on them, that's just how things are.

2. Most customer service organizations aren't going to allow a front line agent (or supervisor) to off the cuff re-ship an order or outright refund one on the spot. It could be a scanning issue with the shipper, or as likely as anything user error. Their system is probably highly automated and probably doesn't particularly allow the wrong address to just somehow end up on there. User or courier error is much more likely. They don't know the order isn't going to show up in the morning or later in the day anyway. They don't know what you're going to do if you get two amps, either...there are a whole lot of dishonest people out there so it makes sense to sort things out before you throw more product at someone.

3. Anyone who uses the phrase "that's unacceptable" with a customer service agent should be court ordered to do that job for a solid week. By solid, I mean putting in a genuine effort under supervision (the clock doesn't start until you look like you give a shit). That phrase is the adult equivalent of a toddler digging in their heels and refusing to leave a store without their favorite candy bar or refusing to leave a restaurant without dessert. If what's offered doesn't work for you, let them know why and consider asking them as a fellow human being if there's a better option they can offer you or any additional resources they can check for you. The second you dig your heels in, you're choosing not to move (forwards or backwards). It's literally their job on the other end of that phone to find you the best available resolution to your issue, in the most timely manner they're able.

4. In any half-decently run organization the supervisor actually isn't available. Taking escalation calls is probably one of 15 or so other things he has on the go, and people who want to talk to supervisors seem to have a sixth sense that causes them all to pick up the phone around the same time. That being said, a call back from one and/or estimate on when they can be available should pretty much always be offered. Usually that's even ideal as it allows the supervisor to figure out the particulars and see what resources he's got to actually fix the issue rather than fumbling around and putting you on hold while he looks into it.

This is all just me bitching, but "unacceptable" in this context does get me pretty triggered. Things have gone wrong already if you've got to call...accept that and work with the person on the other end to figure out what's gonna make you feel better about it. Use them again or don't, but if you're not willing to work with them on the issue at hand you can't expect mountains to part and magic to occur.

Regardless of the factors involved though, OP I do appreciate that not getting what you expected sucks, and I do hope they can come up with something to smooth this out for you.
Great post and thank you for sharing your professional insight.

In 99% of the cases, customer service is about retaining the customer. The problem is that 99% of the organisations involved don't know that.

LSAR

Reaction score
Great post and thank you for sharing your professional insight.

In 99% of the cases, customer service is about retaining the customer. The problem is that 99% of the organisations involved don't know that.
Retention always needs to be the focus, and sometimes that does mean that contextually mountains need to be moved.

The problem is though, often times the one thing the person wants is to get what they ordered when they were told they would...gotta come to terms with the fact that ship's sailed though in some cases.

My experience has been that MF does actually suck though, and I haven't ordered from them in years for that reason. They wouldn't ship a guitar internationally via any means other than UPS at the time and that meant aggressive fees at the door.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The above is sooo true....

However, when corporate doesn't allow their front line customer service reps any power to control or actually "service " a customer, then its a done deal for me...I don't go back...the customer already has been lied to, and feels helpless to have any control over their (now bad) decision. the corporation holds all the cards ...pay up ...shut up and wait....translates to ...Sucker.... one born every minute...

I have been on both ends....These companies expect their customers to "take it politely"
when the customer deserves some sort of satisfaction from the deal gone bad. depending on the mistake there should be a 20 - 30 % coupon applied to the purchase...(or something along those lines) and not a 10% off next purchase....

but true on unrealistic demands...that goes nowhere

I just cut loose my old cable company for the same bullshit....got a new one ...faster internet, more channels (that I'll never watch) and its cheaper....

So if your cable company took away Turner Classic Movies ...then "bundled" it with an ESPN package deal. that costs $20 more to your already ridiculas bill...Dump the bastards....because allowing that with your wallet is inviting the vampire in the house....

fuk em'

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I`ve never had an issue with this company before and have always praised them for the great customer support, but no more......
I ask to speak to the guy on the phone`s supervisor.
Put on hold for 15 minutes.
Him again giving me the runaround. No supervisor.
I again ask to speak to him.
No supervisor available.
I have no choice at this point.
Karenmemes25.jpg

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Retention always needs to be the focus, and sometimes that does mean that contextually mountains need to be moved.

The problem is though, often times the one thing the person wants is to get what they ordered when they were told they would...gotta come to terms with the fact that ship's sailed though in some cases.

My experience has been that MF does actually suck though, and I haven't ordered from them in years for that reason. They wouldn't ship a guitar internationally via any means other than UPS at the time and that meant aggressive fees at the door.
Thus the need for "Win back."

Latest Threads