Music you love that no one you know gets...

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a Summertime Parrot head, and while not every one loves Jimmy Buffet even fewer have even heard of Donny Brewer. Out of about 5 albums I don't think there are 3 songs I don't like. Just a fun mix of music. Most with heavy country or island ukulele, but he can rock it too.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love Deftones! They have a few songs on the soundtrack of my youth. Are there people who don't "get" them? I thought they were/are a popular band....
I've never met anyone in person that likes them. i think they're great, and I love the name and how it sort of sounds like a 50's pop group.

But they're not heavy enough for the guys who love heavy
they're too emo for the guys who like heavy
they're not emo enough and too heavy for the the guys who like emo
they're not technical enough for those who like tech-metal

...they really exist in their own little spot making their music. But I think it's cool. They have a certain atmosphere to their music.

I don't have all their albums though. Just Adrenaline, Around the Fur, and Diamond Eyes. I still want White Pony and Ohms,.. and I think they have a couple more albums I haven't heard.

actually getting Diamond Eyes on vinyl was a total score. I was looking for it for months and watching prices and waiting for to dip below $100. before I grabbed it.

White vinyl to match the album cover. :dude:

s-l225.jpg

PeteK

Reaction score
I've never met anyone in person that likes them. i think they're great, and I love the name and how it sort of sounds like a 50's pop group.

...they really exist in their own little spot making their music. But I think it's cool. They have a certain atmosphere to their music.

I don't have all their albums though. Just Adrenaline, Around the Fur, and Diamond Eyes. I still want White Pony and Ohms,.. and I think they have a couple more albums I haven't heard.

actually getting Diamond Eyes on vinyl was a total score. I was looking for it for months and watching prices and waiting for to dip below $100. before I grabbed it.

View attachment 546810
Oh. Weird. I guess I knew a lot of people that really liked them, but that was back in the 90's when they were on rock radio a lot. My Own Summer got a LOT of play on the only rock station near me, which was out of Las Vegas. I always liked the riffs. Super easy to play in drop D too and it's a great chunky riff.

I also really dig this tune from the same album:

Also a weird side story, but I've only been to a strip club like twice in my life. It's never really been my thing. But one of the two times I went, I got a lap dance to Minerva. So there's that. :laugh2:

mdubya

Reaction score
My moto riding buds used to giggle when I played this stuff, but occasionally they would say, "this is OK."

And

I could keep going.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh. Weird. I guess I knew a lot of people that really liked them, but that was back in the 90's when they were on rock radio a lot. My Own Summer got a LOT of play on the only rock station near me, which was out of Las Vegas. I always liked the riffs. Super easy to play in drop D too and it's a great chunky riff.

I also really dig this tune from the same album:

Also a weird side story, but I've only been to a strip club like twice in my life. It's never really been my thing. But one of the two times I went, I got a lap dance to Minerva. So there's that. :laugh2:

Be Quiet and Drive is a good example of how weird and interesting their (Stephen Carpenters) riffs can be.

the riff under the (Drive) I don't care where just (Far) .. part,.. is really interesting. It has the bending octaves with the root note shifting back and forth between 2 notes. Pretty neat sounding.

mdubya

Reaction score
Be Quiet and Drive is a good example of how weird and interesting their (Stephen Carpenters) riffs can be.

the riff under the (Drive) I don't care where just (Far) .. part,.. is really interesting. It has the bending octaves with the root note shifting back and forth between 2 notes. Pretty neat sounding.
I saw them open for the KISS reunion tour in 1996. I became a fan right then.

Somewhere there is an early version of Windows Media Player with my Deftones playlist on it. :lol:

Rob H.

Reaction score
For me it’s Oasis. I’m the only person in my orbit that likes them. Most people haven’t even heard the songs I like best.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Zungle

Reaction score
Rush, Triumph, Iron Maiden

Some of the greatest bands, no one I know listens to them. Geddy Lee has a weird voice, Triumph is too 80s pop, Maiden gallops too much for metal, and everyone I know shut them out
Weird....those are some of the more popular bands in my area from '79-85.......

All on my Ipod's and Ipads....regular rotation....

Emmitt Fitzhume

Reaction score

View attachment 546810
I've seen them twice. They're awesome.

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is only one band that I would travel across country to see and that band is Tea Leaf Green.

rogue3

Reaction score
definitely this.I haven't met anyone that gets it. I own the original vinyl,in pristine condition,but it will only leave me in my post mortum estate sell off! :rofl: Awesome piece of music(imo)

Lengthy acts,long in Pink Floyd style(think *Echoes*)...in fact,all 4 albums are one piece,broken down into a prologue and 4 acts, 165 minutes in length,on album, soundtrack for an opera.Themes on space and repeating space.

VG-AC-0110-A.jpeg

Latest Threads